There are 164 users in the forums

M. Hudson signs w/ CAR (whats our depth look like?)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think we go for a CB early in the draft, unless we sign Bly or Harris. Right now we have Clements, Spencer, Brown, and Keith Smith. We can definitely use an upgrade and depth.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Look for a CB with ST skill......Devin McCourty, Perrish Cox, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, and Jerome Murphy.

I really like Jerome Murphy. Physical corner that I think Singletary will really like with special team abilities.
i hope we keep those 5 cb's you listed.
PACMAN JONES !
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Or Brandon Ghee in the 3rd. Top five in fastest CBs at the combine.
But not an overly impressive corner in college...

The main criticism is that Ghee plays with too much cushion. But perhaps that was how he was coached in college. He had only one career interception. But he is an aggressive tackler, so he knows how to close.

Certainly an improvement over Hudson. Ghee received the following review from CBS Sports and NFL Draft Profile: "He's highly regarded as a coverage player and he has the willingness to play aggressive as well. Does not always grade out well."

Ghee's aggressiveness can be seen on the video vs. C.J. Spiller.

Look for a CB with ST skill......Devin McCourty, Perrish Cox, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, and Jerome Murphy.

That is a great list. Don't forget Javier Arenas and AJ Jefferson. The Niners should end up with at least one of these guys maybe two.
Depth at CB

Clements, Brown, Spencer

Depth at Safety
Lewis, Roman, Goldson, C. Taylor, R. Smith

In theory R. Smith can play CB or FS.

So we would need to resign Bly/Harris, or some FA and

We will probably pick up one CB and one Safety in the draft.

So with this in mind we look pretty good going into the draft. We know that we need at least two backfield players. We have discussed this over and over again. McSing can count as well as we can. Before we start the season we will have a full backfield. Hopefully we will have a quality backfield. We need speed, coverage, and tackling.

So Haden, Ghee, Arenas etc. There are a lot of people out there to pick from and a lot of Undrafted people who McSing will look at.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Good for him, he got another job. What effect does that have on the Niners? Minimal. He was the fifth CB and a ST player. They can find his replacement in the draft or UDFA.
Taylor Mays
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
He's a Rd. 6 BUST!! j/k.

Can't recall if he did anything worth remembering or worth being p***ed off about. Oh well, life goes on.

he was always one of the first guys down to cover punts. and with lee big booming kicks that is very important. lee had major problems outkicking our coverage, and hudson was oneo fo the reasons.

i think it will be harder to fill then some of us think.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Or Brandon Ghee in the 3rd. Top five in fastest CBs at the combine.
But not an overly impressive corner in college...

The main criticism is that Ghee plays with too much cushion. But perhaps that was how he was coached in college. He had only one career interception. But he is an aggressive tackler, so he knows how to close.

Certainly an improvement over Hudson. Ghee received the following review from CBS Sports and NFL Draft Profile: "He's highly regarded as a coverage player and he has the willingness to play aggressive as well. Does not always grade out well."

Ghee's aggressiveness can be seen on the video vs. C.J. Spiller.

Ghee = Mike Rumph.

No thank you.
Well this means that we'll be going after CBs in this draft. It seems to me like we should draft two CBs instead of just one. This is a good CB class so we should be able to find some good talent. That would give us Clements, Spencer, Brown, and the two draft picks. Another alternative is to sign Dre Bly or Walt Harris back to give us 4 experienced CBs and two developmental guys. But why? I'm a fan of allowing young CBs to be have playing time so that they can get a feel for NFL football

I would be happy with any of these.
what depth
Originally posted by 5xChamp:

I would be happy with any of these.

Yes. I would be happier with Joe Haden in the 1st round, but that's about it.
Share 49ersWebzone