There are 171 users in the forums

Alex Boone

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well I didn't much notice him and our O Line was dominating so I'm happy with him.
It will be sad to see so many quality players go but there is no garbage areas like in past years where 5 - 7 players could be replaced in next years draft. Hell there are many backups who are starters on many teams. I think the niners could field 2 legitimate teams and a decent 3rd. I was not shocked by Tolzien's performance though I suspect Harbaugh was to some extent. Sure he said all the QB's could play in the NFL but I doubt he thought Tolzien could start a backup controversy. One of the great things about Tolzien is his aptitudes are some of the rarest and hardest to attain skills in QBing. Sure you can grow like Alex has but I have never seen a QB become great without having that something to build upon. Just the fact JJ has been a pro for years and not approached Tolzien's competence shows it's hard to do.
I've had a chance to watch the game and I wanted to focus on my favorite "project" player, Alex Boone. He did well. I thought he showed himself to be an excellent run blocker. He could move in space when pass blocking which isn't surprising considering he's a former tackle. I wonder if he could actually move to tackle and play very well there if needed. I think so and, of course, the niners organization does as well.

It's only one game but I think we have a future pro-bowl guard on our oline. Likely not this year but perhaps next. I would actually not mind seeing Boone move to tackle cause I think he could be better there but I'm not going to complain.
Boone is awesome. He had a very clean game agianst GB. Definitely an upgrade over Snyder.
Originally posted by taney71:
I've had a chance to watch the game and I wanted to focus on my favorite "project" player, Alex Boone. He did well. I thought he showed himself to be an excellent run blocker. He could move in space when pass blocking which isn't surprising considering he's a former tackle. I wonder if he could actually move to tackle and play very well there if needed. I think so and, of course, the niners organization does as well.

It's only one game but I think we have a future pro-bowl guard on our oline. Likely not this year but perhaps next. I would actually not mind seeing Boone move to tackle cause I think he could be better there but I'm not going to complain.

No need to move to Tackle. Having Iupati and a possible equal to balance the other side is deadly enough. We NEED our OG's to be better due to all the pulling and power style we play.
Had an excellent game. Even if he can be an average RG, he will be a huge upgrade over Snyder -- who was one of the worst guards in football last year. But I think we'll get more than just an average performance from Boone this year.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Had an excellent game. Even if he can be an average RG, he will be a huge upgrade over Snyder -- who was one of the worst guards in football last year. But I think we'll get more than just an average performance from Boone this year.

Yeah Snyder and before him Rachal. Good grief.
I agree with leavign him at guard for the foreseable future. He is/was a project player and he may very well be finding his spot as a guard. I was impressed with his athleticism this past game. I think we will see a huge upgrade at RG this year and Anthony Davis will look even better next to him.
I was all for Boone at RT and sliding AD in... still wouldn't mind it, but I think I am feeling more cozy now with what is. Great job, Alex Boone! Knew you were a starting quality.. somethin'.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I was all for Boone at RT and sliding AD in... still wouldn't mind it, but I think I am feeling more cozy now with what is. Great job, Alex Boone! Knew you were a starting quality.. somethin'.

I was in a like-mind as well. I wanted Boone to compete with both Staley & Davis and may the best two win. Then I wanted to see L.Davis/Looney/Kilgore battle it out at RG. Then you could conceivably end up with two former pro bowlers as your swing T and G. Think about that depth for a second...and about the upside we'd have with younger guys getting game experience.

PS: This approach could have meant a project like Slowey makes the team as a backup C too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM ]

Once again, our coaches are making a difference. I've been a Boone fan, especially with what he's overcome. Seeing him succeed is great.
Sunday's game promises to be a war of nasty attitudes, especially when it comes to the right side of the 49ers offensive line and the left side of the Detroit defensive line. Anthony Davis and Avril jawed at each other throughout last year's meeting, then continued feuding on Twitter hours after the game had ended. Suh, meanwhile, was overwhelmingly voted the league's dirtiest player last year in player poll conducted by The Sporting News. Boone this year has joined Anthony Davis in adding an element of feistiness to the offensive line. His attitude figured into the good grades he got from coaches after his first ever regular season start. "We were all thrilled to see the instinctive things he did," Greg Roman said. "He played physical, he played to his personality, which is aggressive, passionate, old-school nasty. And he had a lot of fun out there. Boone loves playing football. He's a beauty." Boone's self-assessment wasn't as effusive. He said his leverage began to lapse as the game went on, and he recalled being showed backward on a bull rush by Ryan Pickett. But he also conceded it was a good first step.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/good-job-alex-boone-now-go-take-on-ndamukong-suh.html#storylink=cpy
I can't believe how good he is. He might be better than what we have before. We have a lot of addition by subtraction around here latealy with the latest regime....
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by taney71:

No need to move to Tackle. Having Iupati and a possible equal to balance the other side is deadly enough. We NEED our OG's to be better due to all the pulling and power style we play.

Good point. I shouldn't be too greedy. Let's hope Boone provides the foundation for great OG play for years to come. Getting solid guard play would be wonderful.

If I had to wish for the niners to draft a replacement line position it would be center. We need to get a very good player to takeover at center. I'm not sure we have that on this team.
Bonne vs Suh and Davis vs Avril are gonna be keys to this game. If they can keep Alex clean for the most part our WR can exploit their battered secondary. I expect them to try and bring some extra guys up the middle to get in Alex's face.I was impressed with Boones play against GB and if he continues to improve it will solidify our OL and the passing game can reach new heights. Im confident Boone will play well and with good leverage. Im really surprised he has been successful at Guard given his height.
Share 49ersWebzone