Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I don't really know what to make of this -- but I'll tell you this much:

My BS alarm is going off.

LOUDLY

Shaun Hill goes from unquestioned starter to the bench and then traded to Detroit after leading this team to a 3-1 start?

Really?

Critics will point out his performances against Atlanta and Houston. True -- there's some reason there. But how many terrible, El Stinko games did Alex deliver? More than his share.

Something happened during the course of the season last year. Something bad happened. I imagine that we're going to find out at some point -- and it's the real reason as to why Hill was sent to the bench and then off-loaded to Detroit for a 7th round pick.

Folks -- being traded to Detroit is like winning 2nd place in the "Best Looking Mutt" contest where the prize for 2nd place is two weeks in Bakersfield. It's the same contest where a 1st place finish results in a prize of one week in Bakersfield.

The Shaun Hill train not only derailed -- it shot off the end of a bridge -- fell into the Grand Canyon, crashed and burned and nobody survived. Worse yet -- nobody cared.

Nobody is saying much. But there's a reason why this happened. I wish one or both of the two Matts would do a little digging and find out exactly what happened. Something doesn't smell right in Dodge.

It doesn't really matter how many stinko games Smith had. It's clear that Shaun Hill was never in the long term plans for this team as a starter.

I think he was off-loaded to Detroit because he and Smith's skill set are so completely different that they'd have to alter a game plan on the fly if one came in for the other at any given time. And Detroit wasn't punishment, they were probably the highest (only) bidder.

Shaun Hill's success was a total lark to begin with (Hill was a 3rd stringer brought in by Norv Turner), if Trent Dilfer and Alex Smith hadn't gone down in 2007 (and Smith missing the 2008 season, setting JTO the 'system favorite' up for Nolan's complete demise) this thread wouldn't probably be this long.