There are 219 users in the forums

Shaun Hill Traded

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Just read MMs blog about Hill's exit interview. He said nobody from the niners called him to tell him that was traded. Looks like someone didn't like him. Personally I think thats pretty low class of the niner organization to do that.

agreed
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:

The next couple of seasons I may have a sniff of an interest in the Detroit Lion's Starting Rotation...Thanx for the memories, Shaun Hill.

That was an awesome play
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by susweel:
Just read MMs blog about Hill's exit interview. He said nobody from the niners called him to tell him that was traded. Looks like someone didn't like him. Personally I think thats pretty low class of the niner organization to do that.

Pretty candid interview, thought it told a lot about the 9ers. My favorite question:

Q: How did you feel you fit into Jimmy Raye's offense?
SH: "Oh, I don't know. I'm going to leave all that alone. I did what they asked me to do."

which was to hand off over and over and over....and convert 3rd and long with everyone and they momma knowing we have to pass.......and of course eventually asking him to pass over and over with everyone and their momma knowing we NOW have to pass because we gave up the lead we had......it worked against the Cards, Seahawks and almost against the Vikes....but failed against the Falcons and Texans...

also about the FO not even calling him to let him know...and still haven't called him ....well lets just say it seems like they were hoping that he would RIP the 9ers FO and make it seem like he was a bitter player and it helped fuel a reason to justify getting rid of a QB who has won games for you, well for.....um....David Carr.

but it seems Shaun still stuck to his Classy ways, even when Matt baited him with a question....where as our FO once again comes off Classless...

I wonder what the other 9er players, who loved Shaun as a teammate, feel about the this ordeal....not the whole trade thing...but once again our FO just coming off Clueless and Classless.
IT CAME DOWN LIKE A PUNT
Originally posted by Marion:
Whoopee another 7 th round pick. Make it happen Scotty MC

The fact that he got anything for a journeyman QB is impressive.
  • titan
  • Veteran
They probably told him, his awareness level is just way below average and didn't comprehend the word TRADED. He probably had the same look on his face when he's about to throw an INT. Later chump I never bought your hype! don't talk smack about my team, you better be glad there are teams like the Lions who gave up a 7th rounder for you, you could've just been waived without being missed. Don't feel like you are important cause someone gave a 7th for you. I guess the niners need to be thankful we at least got a 7th for you. I guess that's our payment for babysitting you while with the niners.
I understood Hill's limitations and he probably was not going to take the 49ers anywhere, but there's no doubt in mind, he was better than Alex Smith and he has the stats and the 49er career record to back it up.

Good luck to him in Detroit. It's too bad this organization is still holding out hope for Alex Smith and trying to properly align the stars to find out if he can even succeed. Hill was the perfect veteran stop gap until then found a franchise signal caller.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I don't really know what to make of this -- but I'll tell you this much:

My BS alarm is going off.

LOUDLY

Shaun Hill goes from unquestioned starter to the bench and then traded to Detroit after leading this team to a 3-1 start?

Really?

Critics will point out his performances against Atlanta and Houston. True -- there's some reason there. But how many terrible, El Stinko games did Alex deliver? More than his share.

Something happened during the course of the season last year. Something bad happened. I imagine that we're going to find out at some point -- and it's the real reason as to why Hill was sent to the bench and then off-loaded to Detroit for a 7th round pick.

Folks -- being traded to Detroit is like winning 2nd place in the "Best Looking Mutt" contest where the prize for 2nd place is two weeks in Bakersfield. It's the same contest where a 1st place finish results in a prize of one week in Bakersfield.

The Shaun Hill train not only derailed -- it shot off the end of a bridge -- fell into the Grand Canyon, crashed and burned and nobody survived. Worse yet -- nobody cared.

Nobody is saying much. But there's a reason why this happened. I wish one or both of the two Matts would do a little digging and find out exactly what happened. Something doesn't smell right in Dodge.

Here's my guess/theories:
1) Singletary is a straight shooter. He's not afraid of being honest, so I don't think he's hiding anything. IMO, it's McCloughan was calling the shots in regards to the starting QB. Shaun Hill "won" the competition last year, but the 49ers GM and front office were probably quietly pushing Singletary to give the starting job to Smith to see if Smith would eventually become that franchise QB. Any sign of failure or "plateauing" of the offense would place the blame squarely on Hill and thus give them every reason to see what Smith could do. Plus, I don't think McCloughan wants to be known as the GM who passed on Rodgers for Smith.

2) Shaun Hill and Alex Smith are very good friends- this has been well-established. Hill was Smith's best man at his wedding. People who are friends means there's no animosity and so the QB competition really has no "competitive fire" to elevate either Smith's or Hill's play. Montana and Young hated each other and you can be sure both of them wanted to prove who the better QB was.

3) Hill was traded to Detroit for two reasons: 1) they have their franchise QB so Hill has no chance of even proving if he's a starting material or not, and 2) since Hill is going to Detroit, he has no chance of playing against Smith because Stafford is the unquestioned starter. McCloughan already chose Smith over Rodgers, can you imagine his reputation if Hill was actually better than Smith? That would be two WRONG QB decisions.

Again, this is just my opinion....
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
IT CAME DOWN LIKE A PUNT

The jury is still out on Singletary...he has done alot of suspicious things regarding moving players around. He's probably the worst time managing HC in the NFL.

LOUDLY

Shaun Hill goes from unquestioned starter to the bench and then traded to Detroit after leading this team to a 3-1 start?

Really?

Critics will point out his performances against Atlanta and Houston. True -- there's some reason there. But how many terrible, El Stinko games did Alex deliver? More than his share.

Something happened during the course of the season last year. Something bad happened. I imagine that we're going to find out at some point -- and it's the real reason as to why Hill was sent to the bench and then off-loaded to Detroit for a 7th round pick.

Folks -- being traded to Detroit is like winning 2nd place in the "Best Looking Mutt" contest where the prize for 2nd place is two weeks in Bakersfield. It's the same contest where a 1st place finish results in a prize of one week in Bakersfield.

The Shaun Hill train not only derailed -- it shot off the end of a bridge -- fell into the Grand Canyon, crashed and burned and nobody survived. Worse yet -- nobody cared.

Nobody is saying much. But there's a reason why this happened. I wish one or both of the two Matts would do a little digging and find out exactly what happened. Something doesn't smell right in Dodge.

Not to mention the question about how he fit into Jimmy Raye's offense. He wouldnt answer it anymore than to say "Im not going to go there. I did what they asked me to"

hmmmmm
"With that said, the only thing you can look at is wins and losses. Unfortunately people don't. That's the world we live in."

Shaun Hill

them is fighting words for Alex Smith and David Carr
Q: Do you feel like there are loose ends to tie up with the 49ers?

SH: "I'm just excited to get started with Detroit. They don't owe me a call or anything like that. I've talked to the majority of the people in that organization I wanted to talk to before I left. That's totally fine by me. I don't think there are any loose ends that need tied up. I think there's a mutual respect between them and myself. It's time to move on."

Q: Overall, how did you feel about the way things went down?

SH: "I'm excited about it, to be honest with you. I don't feel any ill will or anything like that. I'm just excited to move on - I truly am."

LOUDLY

Really?

It doesn't really matter how many stinko games Smith had. It's clear that Shaun Hill was never in the long term plans for this team as a starter.

I think he was off-loaded to Detroit because he and Smith's skill set are so completely different that they'd have to alter a game plan on the fly if one came in for the other at any given time. And Detroit wasn't punishment, they were probably the highest (only) bidder.
Share 49ersWebzone