There are 277 users in the forums

David's Carr Needs a Mechanic.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nate Davis 2010 boi!
Carr is a garbage QB and only proves to me that our GM n FO is a joke. Our OL is very weak and this guy is our #2? He holds the ballway to long, his accuracy sucks, and if all he was signed for was his arm why the hell not make a trade for Travaris Jackson as #2 QB to push Smith. What a waste of cap space. I hope to god that this guy is nothing more than a camp arm.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Carr is a garbage QB and only proves to me that our GM n FO is a joke. Our OL is very weak and this guy is our #2? He holds the ballway to long, his accuracy sucks, and if all he was signed for was his arm why the hell not make a trade for Travaris Jackson as #2 QB to push Smith. What a waste of cap space. I hope to god that this guy is nothing more than a camp arm.

Everything you just said about Carr can be said about Smith. I copied this from another thread. Smith's and Carr's #'s are VERY similar, with Carr's slightly edging Smith's. They are basically the same guy.
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

Originally posted by Chief:
David Carr

8 seasons
TD–INT 65-70
Passing yards 14,366
QB Rating 75.2

First overall pick of 2002 NFL Draft, the expansion Houston Texans.
Best season:
61.2 %
3,531 yards
16 TD
14 INT
83.5 rating

Alex Smith

5 seasons
TD-INT 37-43
Passing yards 7,029
QB Rating 69.2

First overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers.
Best season:
60.5 %
2,350 yards
18 TD
12 INT
81.5 rating
Originally posted by SFSK8R89:
Nate Davis 2010 boi!

nate already has a five play advantage.
What if Davis looks better than both of them in pre-season?

Smith will still get the start.

What if Steve Young comes back?

Smith will still get the start.

What if Jesus has been practicing for 2010 years and shows up?

Smith gets the start (although Sing would ask forgiveness).

What if Smith sucks the first game?

He will start the 2nd game.

What if he sucks the 2nd game?

He will start the 3rd?

What if he sucks the 3rd game?

Carr or Davis will start.

What if one of them does well?

Smith fans will complain that he was yanked too soon, that all he needs is an all-star line and another year.
Make no mistake about it, David Carr was not signed to compete with Alex Smith to become the starting QB. Carr was brought in to compete to be the #2 QB, the backup. He was brought in to bring some stability to this offense.

As it stands right now, we have three QB's (Alex Smith, David Carr, and Nate Davis) who each have some mobility and can be a threat in the passing game. They each have similar styles that will help the 49ers develop an offensive identity. I like Shaun Hill, but if Alex were to not play (for whatever reason) we would have to take the offensive scheme back to square one. It would be a HUGE setback for this team!

I think this signals the beginning of the end for Shaun Hill as a member of the San Francisco 49ers.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Make no mistake about it, David Carr was not signed to compete with Alex Smith to become the starting QB. Carr was brought in to compete to be the #2 QB, the backup. He was brought in to bring some stability to this offense.

As it stands right now, we have three QB's (Alex Smith, David Carr, and Nate Davis) who each have some mobility and can be a threat in the passing game. They each have similar styles that will help the 49ers develop an offensive identity. I like Shaun Hill, but if Alex were to not play (for whatever reason) we would have to take the offensive scheme back to square one. It would be a HUGE setback for this team!

I think this signals the beginning of the end for Shaun Hill as a member of the San Francisco 49ers.

WOW! The first person that has said what I feel is the truth. Carr has a good arm, throws a nice deep pass and can run this Offense probably as good or better than Smith. Hill is completely different and requires a completely different game plan, scheme. Also, I don't know why everybody is so down on Carr. The guy has skills but played on perhaps the worst O-line in NFL history. I think if he played for the cowboys or perhaps the colts he would be an all pro... I can see him doing just fine if/when Alex gets hurt or is pulled. I'd rather see Carr than Hill anyway.
  • hps49
  • Veteran
So what, I agree with Patrick. Carr just wanted to come home and make some decent backup money. I don't see how in any way he can ever be a starter again in this league. He does'nt even look motivated to. Not even with our shaky QB situation.

You guys know I'm not on the Smith Bandwagon but atleast you can see that the kid wants to be a legit starter in this league. His play may not always show it but I know the kid works at it.
What's funny is all these Hill bashers talking about his "limitations". 3 different OC's and all he did was win games. Hostler, Martz and Raye and yet he just won games.

That's all a backup has to do. Win 2-3 games a year for your team if your starting QB goes down.

How many games has Carr won in his career?

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
What's funny is all these Hill bashers talking about his "limitations". 3 different OC's and all he did was win games. Hostler, Martz and Raye and yet he just won games.

That's all a backup has to do. Win 2-3 games a year for your team if your starting QB goes down.

How many games has Carr won in his career?

23 games in 7 seasons......
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Random signing.

I like David, he's a good guy. I know him, his family, etc. We have mutual friends.

But he's not a good QB.

I really wish the Niners would sign SOMEONE who could make a difference on our o-line/d-line.

Name another QB with Carr background and credential and yet willingly signed for minimum wage just for the love of 9ers.
Carr>>>>Hill
  • benzino
  • Info N/A
Being a Fresno State alum,I respect the effort that Carr has put in this league.But needless to say,he's just on the farewell tour and wants to be at home.I do hope that Smith dose'nt get hurt because it'll look like when Trent Dilfer played for us.
Originally posted by benzino:
Being a Fresno State alum,I respect the effort that Carr has put in this league.But needless to say,he's just on the farewell tour and wants to be at home.I do hope that Smith dose'nt get hurt because it'll look like when Trent Dilfer played for us.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as Trent Dilfer. My guess if Smith gets hurt or flounders, then Carr comes in and does just about the same thing. I understand the logic behind the signing, since Hill clearly displayed his limits last year. This allows us to keep the same game plan with QB #1 or QB #2...
Share 49ersWebzone