LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
f**k the guy
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Just got some e-mails from Green Bay fan friends of mine mocking the 9ers. It's been a decade now and I'm still getting e-mails mocking the 9ers.

UGH...

But what should you expect when nepotism is at play? What should you expect when the 49ers hire the 28 year old owners son to be CEO of a professional football team?
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Mar 19, 2010 at 1:42 PM ]
does this guy know anything about football, or scouting for that matter????

i thought he was just the contract negotiator.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
There’s a suspicion among those in the McCloughan camp – and other sources familiar with the team’s front-office politics – that Paraag Marathe, the Niners’ vice president of football operations, pushed for the move as an attempt to gain more power.

Marathe, a Cal grad who earned his MBA from Stanford, is known for his “Moneyball” style philosophy of player evaluation, favoring empirical analysis over the more intuitive and subjective elements of scouting. He’s also close with Jed York and is regarded as the team president’s No. 1 confidante in the organization.

Source: GM McCloughan ‘blindsided’ by 49ers

He's got hunger and determination. What's wrong with that?

With Singeltary and Marathe we're getting the best of both worlds.
I'd like to think that Jed isn't stupid enough to hire a guy with no scouting experience to be a GM. I rather promote Baalke even though I didn't know he existed until yesterday.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd like to think that Jed isn't stupid enough to hire a guy with no scouting experience to be a GM. I rather promote Baalke even though I didn't know he existed until yesterday.

LOL, thats the truth!
Originally posted by teeohh:

Really, just yesterday?

Quote:
There’s a suspicion among those in the McCloughan camp – and other sources familiar with the team’s front-office politics – that Paraag Marathe, the Niners’ vice president of football operations, pushed for the move as an attempt to gain more power.

Marathe, a Cal grad who earned his MBA from Stanford, is known for his “Moneyball” style philosophy of player evaluation, favoring empirical analysis over the more intuitive and subjective elements of scouting. He’s also close with Jed York and is regarded as the team president’s No. 1 confidante in the organization.

If this speculation is true, Marathe seems like a snake and I have absolutelly no faith in Singletary as a talent evaluator. He's still learning to be a coach. Scouts and talent evaluators learn from years and years of experience. I hope Scott comes back because this is turning into a mess. We finally started building something strong here and now it sounds like a bunch of inexperienced youngsters are getting power hungry and possibly pissing it all away.

If Scott doesn't return, hopefully Baalke or someone else with experience as a scout gets to run the draft for us. Singletary and Marathe is a disaster waiting to happen. Coaches should stick to coaching. Shannahan learned this lesson the hard way in Denver.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Quote:

He's got hunger and determination. What's wrong with that?

With Singeltary and Marathe we're getting the best of both worlds.

worst thread ever.....our head coach blows, our not so good gm got mysteriously let go, and our owners seem to blow it completely when they fire people. not one person has been fired/let go with any class. even the way hill was let go was terrible - he got no phone call til the day after that he was traded. this organization is the exact opposite of what it was under Eddie D and Walsh.

I AM TRULY ASHAMED.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Just got some e-mails from Green Bay fan friends of mine mocking the 9ers. It's been a decade now and I'm still getting e-mails mocking the 9ers.

UGH...

But what should you expect when nepotism is at play? What should you expect when the 49ers hire the 28 year old owners son to be CEO of a professional football team?

Hell, right now RAIDER fans are laughing at us. This is all kinds of bad, I wish it were true that it was really just a leave of absence for personal reasons, but if it were true then the 49ers brass would have no reason to hide and not comment. This whole thing is going to blow up in the Yorks' face, I wasn't even a big McLaughin fan and this is pissing me off.
I can believe Paraage being an opportunistic cold player in the business world. You don't go to someone who has nothing to do with football to near GM power this fast without whispering in the man in power's ears and throwing people under the bus.
Originally posted by ramanz16:
Originally posted by bzborow1:

UGH...

Hell, right now RAIDER fans are laughing at us. This is all kinds of bad, I wish it were true that it was really just a leave of absence for personal reasons, but if it were true then the 49ers brass would have no reason to hide and not comment. This whole thing is going to blow up in the Yorks' face, I wasn't even a big McLaughin fan and this is pissing me off.

Why would they be laughing? Having a 4th grader as a GM is better than Al Davis making decisions.

Back to Paraage, he probably kept track of who he would have picked in the past few years and displayed the list to Jed because it would have been some successful players on this team...or...probably not.
Share 49ersWebzone