LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ersGiants7:
re-post from other thread

We know he's the team President, cap architect, lead contract negotiator, and heads the analytics department. Anybody know why he doesn't get more attention publicly? How much power does he hold in the 49ers hierarchy? I've seen it speculated that he's above Baalke and played an even bigger role in the Harbaugh dysfunction. We haven't heard him do any interviews unless it's a Sloan Conference. If he's so powerful, how come we don't hear from him more?

Maybe he isn't.

It's all just speculation.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Seeing as how this team has consistently been bad at replay challenges throughout the years, I wonder how much of this is still going on.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/10/23/the-curious-cases-of-heneghan-and-marathe-49ers-execs-doing-what-exactly/

As I've been reminded, in 2005, Marathe wrote what the 49ers brass termed a "How to Hire a Great Football Coach" guide during the search that resulted in Mike Nolan. He was very proud of it. Jed and John toted it around for weeks as if it were the Bible.

The hiring guide used regression analysis, historical models, statistical research, all that stuff… (Yes, the same methods that were used in 2003 and 2004 drafts, yielding Kwame Harris, Brandon Lloyd, Rashaun Woods)…

This system, Marathe told us in 2005, would of course lead to the hiring of THE PERFECT HEAD COACH. There was no smarter way to find a coach. He basically re-defined how to do it.

By hiring a man who had never been a head coach. Who had no idea about offense. Who had never run a personnel department.

THAT WAS THE PERFECT COACH?

That coach is now fired. His draft-analysis data hasn't seemed to help much, if McCloughan is using it or not, but if Marathe has Jed's ear, I'll bet McCloughan is using some of it.

Marathe is in that coaches booth and it doesn't seem like anybody can explain it or do anything about it. I hear again and again how others in the organization want him out of there, but there's no way to push back on Jed's buddy.

The replay-challenges are a joke. The timeouts are a joke. Nolan–Marathe's candidate–is now fired and not at all blamed for hiring Nolan.

And Marathe is more powerful than ever. He's involved with all aspects of the organization, more than ever, I'm told.

This guy needs to stick to the cap, but Apparently that is not happening. The more time that goes along the more I have come to accept that the JH era was not the norm for the Niner FO...all the other York years appear to be the norm.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Maybe he isn't.

Keep in mind that he got a promotion to President of the 49ers about the same time that things started to become public about the blowup between the front office and Harbaugh. There were some reported conflicts between the FO and Harbaugh about the new stadium (locker room use on non-game days, sunny vs shady side of the field, not rescheduling practice to attend stadium event, etc). Marathe was clearly in charge of the stadium project.

Marathe also negotiates all contracts for the 49ers, not the general manager.

Does anyone doubt that Marathe, with his position as 49er president, with a history of steady moveup in the organization wields a high degree of power in the organization.

If his position was business only I would not have expected too much of a problem, but clearly he is not limited to that with his participation in several places to on field activities. Now considering Harbaughs focus on details and having developed his plans, and considering Marathes participation in a number of areas tied to analytics (review calls, on field guide, coach recruitment), it is not surprising that these two would come into major conflict. It is also not surprising that in such a conflict that York would side with Marathe. It also fits with the comments that Balke was not the instigator of the conflict, but was Harbaugh's last defender in the FO.

It is also interesting that many of the leaks established the conflict between Harbaugh and Balke. I would not expect any leaks orchestrated by Balke to say that, but would not be surprised in they were orchestrated by Marathe.
Originally posted by rdc1:
sunny vs shady side of the field,

Something to look for on Sunday. Is the team going to cater to the high rollers or will they do right by the players and force the Packers to sit in the direct sun????
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Something to look for on Sunday. Is the team going to cater to the high rollers or will they do right by the players and force the Packers to sit in the direct sun????

I think at this point it is too late for them to change the home side. That decision had to be made before they sold the seat licenses and identified which side of the field was the 49ers side. However, it was certainly a point of contention between Harbaugh and the Office. The good news for the team is that it would not be easy for the team to make the change now that Harbaugh is gone.
Originally posted by English:
Maybe he isn't.

Keep in mind that he got a promotion to President of the 49ers about the same time that things started to become public about the blowup between the front office and Harbaugh. There were some reported conflicts between the FO and Harbaugh about the new stadium (locker room use on non-game days, sunny vs shady side of the field, not rescheduling practice to attend stadium event, etc). Marathe was clearly in charge of the stadium project.

Does anyone doubt that Marathe, with his position as 49er president, with a history of steady moveup in the organization wields a high degree of power in the organization.

If his position was business only I would not have expected too much of a problem, but clearly he is not limited to that with his participation in several places to on field activities. Now considering Harbaughs focus on details and having developed his plans, and considering Marathes participation in a number of areas tied to analytics (review calls, on field guide, coach recruitment), it is not surprising that these two would come into major conflict. It is also not surprising that in such a conflict that York would side with Marathe. It also fits with the comments that Balke was not the instigator of the conflict, but was Harbaugh's last defender in the FO.

It is also interesting that many of the leaks established the conflict between Harbaugh and Balke. I would not expect any leaks orchestrated by Balke to say that, but would not be surprised in they were orchestrated by Marathe.

This is exactly the angle people have ignored. Once he got promoted to President, things never seemed to improve.

A Michigan blog reported last year that Marathe was who Harbaugh wanted gone (moreso than Baalke).
This is exactly the angle people have ignored. Once he got promoted to President, things never seemed to improve.

A Michigan blog reported last year that Marathe was who Harbaugh wanted gone (moreso than Baalke).

And there was also as article that claimed if Harbaugh got another NFL job, he'd try and bring Marathe with him.

Nobody knows wtf truly happened, so it's pointless to speculate.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
And there was also as article that claimed if Harbaugh got another NFL job, he'd try and bring Marathe with him.

Not really, not even blind speculation really. Does Florio get paid by the post? The following is really terrible...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/23/harbaugh-marathe-could-reunite/

No one knows what's going to happen with 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh. Whenever whatever happens, some league insiders believe there's a chance that Harbaugh could be joined at his next destination by 49ers president Paraag Marathe.

It's purely speculation at this point, speculation that cuts against the perception that Marathe is among the San Fran front office cabal that wants to see Harbaugh leave. The prevailing view is that G.M. Trent Baalke, and only Baalke, started the power struggle that has Baalke staying and Harbaugh going, somewhere.

This isn't a report that Marathe, who led the effort to get the new stadium built and who is regarded as one of the top contract negotiators in the NFL, will be leaving or should be leaving or could be leaving. It's merely a recognition that some folks in the know believe that Harbaugh could try to get Marathe to join Harbaugh with a new NFL team — and that Marathe could be inclined to do it.

Of course, it hinges on Harbaugh getting another NFL job and not jumping to Michigan. Where there's no salary cap to navigate or contracts to negotiate. Yet.

Harbough could have also joined Carrol's staff in Seattle.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Oct 3, 2015 at 8:26 PM ]
That's what I'm saying...throughout the whole ordeal I must have heard every scenario possible as to what the dynamics were between Harbaugh and management. Everyone acted like they had all the answers, when none of them have a freaking clue. That's media for you. Grab the viewers attention with sexy headline, spew some b******t. Rinse, wash, repeat.

That was from Florio, Kawakami shot it down immediately.

That was from Florio, Kawakami shot it down immediately.

Florio and Kawakami, don't know which one I distrust the most. Lol at Kawakami shooting anything down.
Harbaugh shot his wad. Not a problem seeing him go. Problem = what happened after. Lots of mistakes.

I have a big problem with something, if Marathe negotiates the deals, then why isnt he GM, Baalke is the one who goes after players, and makes offers on money, Marathe structures the deals, not negotiates terms like overall dollars and gtd money, that's Baalke's job as GM.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I have a big problem with something, if Marathe negotiates the deals, then why isnt he GM, Baalke is the one who goes after players, and makes offers on money, Marathe structures the deals, not negotiates terms like overall dollars and gtd money, that's Baalke's job as GM.

I kind of get the feeling that Marathe basically does whatever the hell he feels like for the most part. When the guy running the team is your BFF, well, I'm sure that comes with an almost unlimited number of perks. That is how a guy with a business background and no football experience winds up in the coaches box, in the coaches office, in the draft war room, in the locker room after games.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 4, 2015 at 4:56 AM ]
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

With the 49ers the actual negotiation of terms, including overall dollars and gtd money is done by Marathe. While Baalke has the GM title, not sure if he is really much more then a glorified director of player personnel, with a primary role of selecting personnel. With Marathe's role of also leading the 49ers analytics function, not sure how much that inputs into player selection. It certainly might explain the way the 49ers seem to focus on numbers in their drafting, such as a focus on arm length and the tendency to go after injured players more then other team do.

With many other teams a lot of the business elements are concentrated with the GM, apparently not with the 49ers. Baalke gets to sit on the public throne, Marathe is the power behind the throne without the public presence.

Go to the 49ers front office area and read the description for what Marathe has responsibility.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Oct 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone