LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 363 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
To me the contract demonstrates a mutually beneficial agreement. Kap didn't want to screw the franchise (e.g. Flacco), but he wanted a fair contract. I think both sides have to be satisfied with the final result.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Don't ever forget he was part of a team that brought you Nolan, Sing and years of misery.

Don't ever forget Walsh brought us Donahue.

Don't ever forget DeBartolo hired that scrub GM his first year.

s**t happens
Yeah, but Walsh and Eddie D brought us five SBs. Whats he done? Nothing!!!!

Marathe isn't the HC lol
You are the one who brought up Eddie D's example of Joe thomas's hiring. Was Eddie D a HC?. But ED set the path by hiring Bill Walsh and the rest is the history. What did this fool do? He and John York destroyed a once proud franchise for many years. Don't forget it.

What are you talking about?

**** Donahue. John York and Denise D. screwed up too, but Jed has turned it around. Paraag/Baalke/Harbs are doing fine under Jed.

We gotta give it some time before we start comparing Eddie D. (20 + years to win those Super Bowls). Let's see what Jed does (given 20+ years). Paraag works for Jed... when he was with John (what did you expect)
[ Edited by LVJay on Jun 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM ]
The cap, does anyone have specifics as to the negotiation rules and if there are any cut off dates. If there is no cut-off date, perhaps the direction that I would like to see the team navigate to is to try to negotiate another player's deal so that we take the cap hit this year, versus future years. Just something that could keep the cap in better shape for the long run, so the team can at least try to remain flexible with FA and drafting to keep the team competitive, just a perspective.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1417-first-goal-analytics-market-inefficiencies/
We know he's the team President, is the 49ers cap architect, lead contract negotiator, and heads up the analytics department. Anybody know why he doesn't get more attention publicly? How much power does he have in the 49ers hierarchy? I've seen it speculated that he was a bigger reason for Harbaugh's departure and a lot of the dysfunction than Baalke. We haven't heard him do any interviews unless it's a Sloan conference. If he's so powerful, how come we don't hear about/from him more?
Best cap guy in the NFL imo. Dudes a badass.
I like his tie.
Didn't we already have a thread on him? Anyways, Jed is going to fire him for doing a great job.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Didn't we already have a thread on him? Anyways, Jed is going to fire him for doing a great job.

Him and Jed are buddies dating back to college. He's embedded.

Also, can merge this one with the old one if you have the power.
[ Edited by 49ersGiants7 on Oct 2, 2015 at 11:48 PM ]

Seeing as how this team has consistently been bad at replay challenges throughout the years, I wonder how much of this is still going on.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/10/23/the-curious-cases-of-heneghan-and-marathe-49ers-execs-doing-what-exactly/

As I've been reminded, in 2005, Marathe wrote what the 49ers brass termed a "How to Hire a Great Football Coach" guide during the search that resulted in Mike Nolan. He was very proud of it. Jed and John toted it around for weeks as if it were the Bible.

The hiring guide used regression analysis, historical models, statistical research, all that stuff… (Yes, the same methods that were used in 2003 and 2004 drafts, yielding Kwame Harris, Brandon Lloyd, Rashaun Woods)…

This system, Marathe told us in 2005, would of course lead to the hiring of THE PERFECT HEAD COACH. There was no smarter way to find a coach. He basically re-defined how to do it.

By hiring a man who had never been a head coach. Who had no idea about offense. Who had never run a personnel department.

THAT WAS THE PERFECT COACH?

That coach is now fired. His draft-analysis data hasn't seemed to help much, if McCloughan is using it or not, but if Marathe has Jed's ear, I'll bet McCloughan is using some of it.

Marathe is in that coaches booth and it doesn't seem like anybody can explain it or do anything about it. I hear again and again how others in the organization want him out of there, but there's no way to push back on Jed's buddy.

The replay-challenges are a joke. The timeouts are a joke. Nolan–Marathe's candidate–is now fired and not at all blamed for hiring Nolan.

And Marathe is more powerful than ever. He's involved with all aspects of the organization, more than ever, I'm told.

Um, Kawakami?

"The replay-challenges are a joke. The timeouts are a joke. Nolan–Marathe's candidate–is now fired and not at all blamed for hiring Nolan."

The final sentence doesn't make sense. People who aspire to possibly becoming journalists need to work on the English language. What I assume what he meant to say was, Nolan, who was Marathe's candidate, is now fired and Marathe has not been blamed for hiring him.

Happy to proofread your stuff in future, Timmy.

But like most of his other work it is largely invention and supposition.
Originally posted by English:
Um, Kawakami?

"The replay-challenges are a joke. The timeouts are a joke. Nolan–Marathe's candidate–is now fired and not at all blamed for hiring Nolan."

The final sentence doesn't make sense. People who aspire to possibly becoming journalists need to work on the English language. What I assume what he meant to say was, Nolan, who was Marathe's candidate, is now fired and Marathe has not been blamed for hiring him.

Happy to proofread your stuff in future, Timmy.

But like most of his other work it is largely invention and supposition.

A lot of this has been reported by other sources. Marathe has been well known to go into the coaches box during games, he also was heavily involved with the Nolan coaching search and developed the parameters for the "ideal star coach" during that search, also Walsh and McVay resented him because he turned down their draft moves due to his computer analysis indicating that they were not good ones....and then the 49ers went on to pick guys like Rashaun Woods.

I think its pretty clear that for a guy whose strengths are in regards to the business side of things and the salary cap, he has been far too involved in football and game management decisions.
Don't forget the Field Management Guide.

He may be a great cap guy but I am not impressed with his draft analytics, head coaching candidate analysis, clock guru work etc.
The only success under him and Jed has come with Harbaugh.
re-post from other thread

We know he's the team President, cap architect, lead contract negotiator, and heads the analytics department. Anybody know why he doesn't get more attention publicly? How much power does he hold in the 49ers hierarchy? I've seen it speculated that he's above Baalke and played an even bigger role in the Harbaugh dysfunction. We haven't heard him do any interviews unless it's a Sloan Conference. If he's so powerful, how come we don't hear from him more?
Share 49ersWebzone