There are 220 users in the forums

49ers Return to London 2013

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
this is fkn b******t! Why not make all teams go before making 1 team go twice?? Please tell me it's the game before a bye week.

are yuo kidding? this is almost a free home game i bet there will be more niner fans than jags fans

we are talken about the Jags...not really known for homefield avangage...and weather should not be a factor...
  • Happs
  • Veteran
Went to the last one in London. Atmosphere was electric! Can't wait, definitely going to make the trip again!!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
this is fkn b******t! Why not make all teams go before making 1 team go twice?? Please tell me it's the game before a bye week.

Agreed. We got hosed again.
Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
As a Road opponent for the Jags, our new house band.

Shall we have another meetup?

I could'nt find my original "London Calling" thread from two seasons ago ... oh well ;D
was that the one with all the useful information?
can we get it back please?
i'll there for sure

Yes, I believe it was titled "London Calling, blah, blah something", maybe English, or one of the other Mods can merge it to this one, or vice-versa.
I'll search again, and if I can find it, I'll PM English for assistance on a merge. For those of us that registered, our accounts should still be in the
NFL.co.uk website database.
Originally posted by Lifer:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Lifer:
While this may be fun for the fans,it's a competitive disadvantage for the team. All that travel creates disruptions to the practice schedule, preparation routine, and body clock of the players. Why would you volunteer to cross 8 times zones to play a football game? How does this help the team to win?

By my count, there have been 8 international games scheduled by the NFL since 2005. Only 12 of 32 teams have participated. The Patriots and Buccaneers have each played overseas twice. The 49ers have played, or will play, 3 times (2005, 2010, 2013).

It helps the 49ers future.

The league is pushing for international teams. They want international interest. Jed is making sure the Niners are exposed often to get people more familiar. Combine that exposure with a team that is hot as the Niners have been since Harbaugh and company took over and you have a recipe for an expanding fan base.

Plus the Niners have always been open to international exposure. With the game next year we will tie the Cowboys for a total of 9 games on foreign soil.

I understand the marketing angle, but you've got to balance marketing with the best interests of the team. You don't want self-promotion at the expense of winning.

As far as I know, the Cowboys have never played a regular season game on foreign soil. Are you talking about pre-season? Jed can schedule all the pre-season games overseas that he wants. Those don't count against your record.

We will be playing the Jags. I don't expect them to be too terribly difficult to beat honestly.
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM ]
Beep
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
So we get our bye week after this game right?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jcool:

i sure as hell hope so. 15 hour flight back on a sunday night, crossing numerous time zones is gonna take some time to recover from.
Naturally English steals another game from us, but luckily this is a "road" game
Last time they did a great job of making it like a home game with all the 49ers stuff around the stadium plus all the 49er flags they handed out. Wonder if they do that for the jaguars although I here there are a lot of 49er fans over there.

Originally posted by Jcool:

Could be before or after. Also, with us playing the Bucs, possibly Giants/Philly (nfce same place) and tenn they could put the london game after one of those games so we are already on the east coast and then fly over after the game and stay the week in london.
Originally posted by stillpans4gold:
Hey, how do you figure out the schedule?

I get...

{4} Rotate between the three other NFC divisions (Just look back to see the rotation)
{4} Rotate between the four AFC divisions (same)
{6} NFC West teams both home and away.
{2} The equal standing team of unplayed NFC divisions.

...But how do you figure home/away?

It was put up on a site, I didn't figure it out. My understanding goes as far as the 4 things you listed. I think the home and away is a forumla but it's weird because some times you play the team twice at home in a row, we've played TB like 3 times in a row at home... no idea how the home/away part works. It must not be at the schedule makers discretion because they already have it figured out and they don't start making the schedule until the off-season.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 11, 2012 at 5:33 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
those are some ugly home games
Still, I'd rather play tough teams at home than on the road.

Originally posted by 228niner:
so we'll be playing philly on the road next year?
If we win the division chances are we play Philly or maybe even the Giants on the road. In the NFCN if we win it would look like we play the Bears again at home.
Originally posted by English:
Beep

what's the word on getting tickets for this over there? And any accommodation recommendations or areas to avoid? Been half way planning a trip over there for 2013, and this may just be the extra kick in the ass to make it happen.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Originally posted by English:
Beep

what's the word on getting tickets for this over there? And any accommodation recommendations or areas to avoid? Been half way planning a trip over there for 2013, and this may just be the extra kick in the ass to make it happen.

Tickets not on sale yet and no date announced. It has been really difficult the last three Wembley NFL games. The last 49ers game sold out damn quick and had a Wembley all-sport record gate of over 84,000. The place rocked!

Not sure about accommodation. I live an hour or two away, depending on traffic so I drive. London is pricey for hotels, though. There will be plenty of advice available here I would imagine.
Share 49ersWebzone