LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Our lack of offensive identity this season might be of benefit in the future...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We missed the playoffs this year for a couple reasons... We lacked identity on offense (passing team or running team?) and were inconsistent at times on defense (probably due to a lack of a consistent pass-rusher)... that and the return game was not that good this season.

In watching the Colts/Jets game today, the difference between the Jets and the Colts today was that the Colts could win the game in so many different ways. At first glance, they're a finesse vertical passing team with a Tampa 2 defense, but they're so much more. They're able to run the ball effectively. They're not a smash-mouth running team in the mold of the Jets or Ravens, but they can run. On defense, they're a cover 2 team, but they can swarm... they can stop the ball... they can make plays at crucial times.

The Jets, a GREAT team, aren't quite as dimensional this year. Not a knock on Sanchez at QB because he's going to be very good in the future and played awesome today, but it's obvious that he's not on the same level as an elite QB like Manning. But the Jets have a similar gameplan to what we wanted this year. A power-running team with an elite defense. That gameplan DOES work because it got them to the AFC championship. Other teams like the Ravens and Buccaneers several years ago won Super Bowls with it. When they fell behind, they had to rely on Sanchez to bring them back, and he's not at that level yet.

When you have COMPLETE teams like the Colts... and also the Vikings and Saints, you have to be able to do it all if you want to make it to the Super Bowl.

Now... relating this back to the 49ers.

We struggled a lot this season, especially on offense. We thought we were built to be a power-running team under Frank Gore. 2006 is testament to that when Gore ran for 1600 rushing yards or so. With Vernon Davis being able to block AND catch the ball, he really makes things confusing for defenses, and we can run the ball effectively with him in there. That WAS the thought, but we could not run AT ALL.

By mid-season, Alex Smith was the QB. The offense looked improved but there were games when he didn't look that great. The Titans game was a good example of this when he threw multiple picks. But there were other games when Alex threw several TDs like in the Texans or Packers games.

The end of the season showed us what kind of offense we could be when we had balance, but they were only flashes and it wasn't consistent. Hopefully, an offseason will show us consistency.

In my opinion, our struggles this season will make us a better team. We're not going to be a 300 yard aerial attack every game under Alex Smith, but I don't think we're going to be a 200 yard/game power running team either. But with Alex, Gore, Vernon, Crabtree... I think we can be the type of team that can win by running the ball and also winning by passing the ball.

What do you guys think?
Originally posted by Wubbie:
We missed the playoffs this year for a couple reasons... We lacked identity on offense (passing team or running team?) and were inconsistent at times on defense (probably due to a lack of a consistent pass-rusher)... that and the return game was not that good this season.

In watching the Colts/Jets game today, the difference between the Jets and the Colts today was that the Colts could win the game in so many different ways. At first glance, they're a finesse vertical passing team with a Tampa 2 defense, but they're so much more. They're able to run the ball effectively. They're not a smash-mouth running team in the mold of the Jets or Ravens, but they can run. On defense, they're a cover 2 team, but they can swarm... they can stop the ball... they can make plays at crucial times.

The Jets, a GREAT team, aren't quite as dimensional this year. Not a knock on Sanchez at QB because he's going to be very good in the future and played awesome today, but it's obvious that he's not on the same level as an elite QB like Manning. But the Jets have a similar gameplan to what we wanted this year. A power-running team with an elite defense. That gameplan DOES work because it got them to the AFC championship. Other teams like the Ravens and Buccaneers several years ago won Super Bowls with it. When they fell behind, they had to rely on Sanchez to bring them back, and he's not at that level yet.

When you have COMPLETE teams like the Colts... and also the Vikings and Saints, you have to be able to do it all if you want to make it to the Super Bowl.

We struggled a lot this season, especially on offense. We thought we were built to be a power-running team under Frank Gore. 2006 is testament to that when Gore ran for 1600 rushing yards or so. With Vernon Davis being able to block AND catch the ball, he really makes things confusing for defenses, and we can run the ball effectively with him in there. That WAS the thought, but we could not run AT ALL.

By mid-season, Alex Smith was the QB. The offense looked improved but there were games when he didn't look that great. The Titans game was a good example of this when he threw multiple picks. But there were other games when Alex threw several TDs like in the Texans or Packers games.

The end of the season showed us what kind of offense we could be when we had balance, but they were only flashes and it wasn't consistent. Hopefully, an offseason will show us consistency.

In my opinion, our struggles this season will make us a better team. We're not going to be a 300 yard aerial attack every game under Alex Smith, but I don't think we're going to be a 200 yard/game power running team either. But with Alex, Gore, Vernon, Crabtree... I think we can be the type of team that can win by running the ball and also winning by passing the ball.

What do you guys think?

I agree. But, we need 2 more big uglies and a dynamic swiss army knife PR/ KR / RB / WR, whether it be Spiller, Best, Cribss, or Reggie Bush.
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Jan 24, 2010 at 3:46 PM ]
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

What do you guys think?

I agree. But, we need 2 more big uglies and a dynamic swiss army knife PR/ KR / RB / WR, whether it be Spiller, Best, Cribss, or Reggie Bush.

I agree with both the original post and the reply.

The most frustrating thing about the offense this season was it seemed we were only an effective passing team when we did nothing but pass. I don't know if thats play calling (either fully conservative or fully aggressive with no mix) or Alex (has to be in a rhythm to make quick decisions and good throws), but it MUST be corrected. To have balance we have to be able to run on 1st and 2nd downs and have a good shot of throwing for the 1st on 3rd down to extend the drive.
Alex Smith will bloom like a beautifle flower in 2010
I say we are one playmaker away on O so lets grab Spiller who gives us another runner and a runner whos fast as well as solves our kick returner issues. Then we grab a stud RT and a Free Agent guard,Add a strong safety and passrusher and we are in the bowl baby! At least the playoffs!
Originally posted by Mister49:
I say we are one playmaker away on O so lets grab Spiller who gives us another runner and a runner whos fast as well as solves our kick returner issues. Then we grab a stud RT and a Free Agent guard,Add a strong safety and passrusher and we are in the bowl baby! At least the playoffs!
It's what I have been saying all along.
Jahird (Spell check on that 1) Evans- All Pro Guard free agent this year.
CJ Spiller- You know who he is.
RT- From the Draft
SS- Taylor Mays- Second Round in Draft
I'm going to say this only once, so pay attention....."The Colts without Peyton are nothing!" He is the team period. If he'd sign with the 9er's, we would own the leauge.
[ Edited by BigDaddy on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:51 PM ]
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

What do you guys think?

I agree with both the original post and the reply.

The most frustrating thing about the offense this season was it seemed we were only an effective passing team when we did nothing but pass. I don't know if thats play calling (either fully conservative or fully aggressive with no mix) or Alex (has to be in a rhythm to make quick decisions and good throws), but it MUST be corrected. To have balance we have to be able to run on 1st and 2nd downs and have a good shot of throwing for the 1st on 3rd down to extend the drive.

The offense must become way more efficient next season!
I basically agree with the opening post. The interesting part of the discussion is that we played Indianapolis and Minnesota as well or better than New Orleans or New York did. Yet we came up a play short with both teams.

I see us as 3-4 players short of being a quality playoff team. We need a quality RT and I hope we strike paydirt in the draft. I see us needing a speedy quality punt returner and a speedy wr/rb/Bush/Harvin/Jackson type of player. We also need one consistent pass rusher and a SS/CB to establish our defense. With improved Oline play, A. Smith's development as a QB, and Raye's developement as a OC, with improved defensive playe we will be able to get over the humnp and play consistent playoff football.

Originally posted by montereyjack415:
RT- From the Draft

No thanks.
o-line, o-line, o-line....................................
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:
RT- From the Draft

No thanks.

in the second round i wouldn't mind that pick, i doubt he will be there though
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:
RT- From the Draft

No thanks.

Agree
I'm so sick of being reminded that the team lacks an identity because that was all about poor coaching. Coaches don't figure out what they have at mid-season, they do it during training camp and preseason.
Share 49ersWebzone