LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Go figure, No. 3 in sacks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In the Minnesota game we had two sacks and Minnesota had one. In the Indiannapolis game they had three sacks and we had three sacks. In the first Arizona game they had four sacks and we had three. In the second Arizona game we had four sacks, two interceptions and five fumbles recovered. In the Philadelphia game they had three sacks, three interceptions, and one fumble recovered, and we had two interceptions.

So we were very competitive against three play-off teams and did not do well against Philadelphia. So to me that is very good. So we did get pass rush against quality teams.

On the other hand we did not do well against some teams. In the Atlanta game, by far our worst loss we had no sacks but caused five fumbles of which we recovered only one, and we got one interception. Atlanta got three sacks, got one interception, and recovered two fumbles. So even in a loss we were still very active defensively but did not get sacks.

So there were many things going on in each game. Some games it did not go as well for us but overall the stats are not lieing. We got some interceptions, were very high in forced fumbles, and were third in sacks. That is an active defense. I also thought we were getting better as we neared the end of the season, especially with Goldson and Brooks finally figuring it out. So lots of good information about the defense.

Now we need better oline play and improved time of possession, third down conversions, and QB play. We need some speed on the offense, and another playmaker and we will be a dynamite team.
It's undeniable the Niners D made great strides this season in regards to generating a pass rush. This pass rush gets overlooked b/c the team lacks that dominant, double digit, sack master. But they did a great job of rushing the passer as a team.

With that said, the pass rush was inconsistent. It was very much feast or famine when it came to putting pressure on opposing QBs, and consistency will make this solid D into an elite one. Adding another pass rushing OLB would help (really can't have too many), though it may not be critical as long as Brooks and Lawson continue to grow as they did this past season and become consistent performers.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by PTulini:
But we also got 3 sacks on Peyton Manning that day we played him and the Colts. To my knowledge, no one had sacked him that much all season!

I'm probably wrong, but I think we were the first team to get a sack on him all season.

thats not true, but he had only been sacked twice i beleive.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Here we go again ......

I'm really glad we are number 3 in sacks... again others have argued they've come in bunches and not consistently or clutch when we really needed a stop (like at Seattle, Philadelphia).

Now if we can just give up a couple of those sacks against Kyle Boller and apply them against Donovan McNabb, I'd be really happy.

• THEBESTEVER
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by PTulini:
But we also got 3 sacks on Peyton Manning that day we played him and the Colts. To my knowledge, no one had sacked him that much all season!

I'm probably wrong, but I think we were the first team to get a sack on him all season.

I think your right
  • THEBESTEVER
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
For our pass rush I would like to see 3-4 sacks out of Sop, same for Balmer and MacDonald. I see J. Smith as about as perfect a 3-4 end as there is in the game.

I would like to see us get a deal signed with Franklin for 3 years.

I would then like to see Lawson continue to develop - and get up to about 8-10 sacks per year.

I would like to see 5-7 sacks out of Willis.

I think that Spikes will probably get 3-5 sacks and he will train McClain if he is there to be picked.

McKillop needs to show more before I would turn over Spikes position to him. If McClain is there McKillop will definitely be backup material.

Difficult to know what happened to Harolson this year. Don't know if he was injured or what but he did not play well. Slow and few sacks. He is our mystery man for next season.

Brooks - hopefully will contiue to develop and be our primary pass rushing OLB. He has the size and speed, and appeared to be "getting it" at the end of the season. Now we will see if he is able to stay focused during the off season and be able to take the next step.

Briggs is another one we hope will take the next step of development. Hopefully he will come on and win a place on the roster for his talent.

I think we also need to draft at least one olb. My preference would be Graham/Schofield. I think we need to be aggressive with our pass rush and keep up the pressure.

#3 in sacks is another testimony that Singletary has had an effect on this team.

The last issue will be Manusky. I hope he continues to grow as a DC and gets more creative and unpredictable in his defensive packages from week to week.

Overall good progress on the defense. All we need to do is shore up the backfield and we will have a top five defense.

Wrd.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=136149&highlight=sacks

Share 49ersWebzone