LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

If Brooks becomes the starting OLB, who sits?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If Brooks becomes the starting OLB, who sits?

It's gotta be Haralson. Lawson is soooo much better playing the run and in coverage, he has a lot better closing speed.
Parys's days are numbered. Brooks's mind is finally catching up with his talent. Say what you will about Singletary, but his patience with Brooks is paying off. Brook's starts in 2010, and another OLB hopefull will be drafted this year.
Brooks is awesome
  • king32
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
It's gotta be Haralson. Lawson is soooo much better playing the run and in coverage, he has a lot better closing speed.

Agreed. I think Manny's athleticism allows him to set the edge really well, even though we got gashed on screens and outside runs throughout the season. Having a healthy Nate will also help in that area.
From what I saw this season, Brooks lined up as the ROLB everytime he was out there. If I'm not mistaken, that is typically Haralson's spot. Manny usually lines up as the LOLB. Parys hasn't done enough, in my opinion, to secure him a starting role. He'll provide good depth though.
nice to see ManLaw gettin some love.
I know we all wish he could get to the QB a little better...
ok A LOT BETTER, but you cant knock the guy's run D
or what he does in coverage.

vs the run he is EXCELLENT at striking that balance between
holding the point and widening the corner while maintaining outside leverage.
this allows the other edge defenders, (2 very good ones i might add,
in m.lewis and n.clements) to come up and make plays if ManLaw
hasn't already done it himself. he very seldom gets pushed back off the L.O.S
or gets too far upfield, which only shortens the corner dramatically.

vs the pass his combination of size and speed really constricts
passing lanes, giving opposing QBs very small windows to work with.

as long as he keeps working on his pass rush, i think he could actually
end up being a really nice defender for us for a long time.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
From what I saw this season, Brooks lined up as the ROLB everytime he was out there. If I'm not mistaken, that is typically Haralson's spot. Manny usually lines up as the LOLB. Parys hasn't done enough, in my opinion, to secure him a starting role. He'll provide good depth though.

Except it was usually Lawson who saw the bench on 3rd downs. Personally he's a great sideline to sideline player who's ok in coverage and an average pass rusher. Haralson is a good passrusher who's ok sideline to side line and average in coverage. In the 3-4 I take the pass rusher first at OLB so Lawson sits.

And yes he had more sacks, but they weren't the kind of sacks where a guy beats his blocker...more the kind where the QB rolls to his side and he's pass rushing the cover unblocked.

I wonder how he would do inside.
Haralson without doubt
Does anyone think that Haralson is stout/tough enough to play along side Willis?

Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

Except it was usually Lawson who saw the bench on 3rd downs. Personally he's a great sideline to sideline player who's ok in coverage and an average pass rusher. Haralson is a good passrusher who's ok sideline to side line and average in coverage. In the 3-4 I take the pass rusher first at OLB so Lawson sits.

And yes he had more sacks, but they weren't the kind of sacks where a guy beats his blocker...more the kind where the QB rolls to his side and he's pass rushing the cover unblocked.

I wonder how he would do inside.

What I did see from Lawson this year is improved strength! His pass rush moves are limited, but he can push his blocker into the pocket to create pressure. I didn't see a lot of instances where Manny went unblocked either. To say that most of his sacks were caused by luck or chance is unfair.

What was it about Parys' game that makes you want him to start for us?
here's my 2 cents, he got a big payday(Haralson), and i dont see him being cut or traded, he is a good pass rusher, also i dont know if Brooks is a starter per say. He is more of a pass rusher, ala Haralson, personally id like to get a better OLB and have him and Lawson start with Haralson and Brooks subbing in.
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Brooks is awesome
i would def sit Haralson, i got so fed up watching him give up the edge and just get beat down the sideline so many times. Maybe if Brooks can become an every down OLB and Lawson doesnt improve we just rotate him in on 3rd down. I was not impressed by Parys as an everydown player.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

This
Share 49ersWebzone