LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Does anybody think that Balmer has the potential to do....anything?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He was a late bloomer in college. Lets hope it is the same at the pro level.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
He was a late bloomer in college. Lets hope it is the same at the pro level.

So was I. Mine didn't drop until I was 21.
Maybe!
Usually takes DLinemen 3 years for them to bloom...Im sure if he keeps working out with Justin Smith in the off season, he will be just fine....

Besides he will be our future along with Ricky Jean Francious, on the DL....they wont contribute untill there is an injury next season....because our DL Im happy to say is pretty sick.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
There was potentially no talent left in the first round up until the spot we had picked, so we should have traded that pick out to obtain DeSean Jackson or Ray Rice in the second round (and pick up a jobber in the 3rd).

It sucks to have a 1st round pick that plays like a 4th rounder.

Yeah, it still hurts to think about what we missed out in that second round.

How do you think the Dolphins, Falcons and Cardinals feel??

They all passed on Patrick Willis in 2007 with a clear need at MLB.

32 teams (including the 49ers) twice passed on Frank Gore in 2005.

And if you want to take it a step further...the Patriots selected Brandon Meriweather in the 1st round in 2007...while Dashon Goldson was selected in the 4th that same year. You think Belicheck wouldnt rather have the .38 special rather than Meriweather if he could do it over??

Those things happen.

And for all of you incessant whiners on this board about Balmer. Singletary held another young player back saying he was not ready to contribute full time, and when he was...you would see him on the field.

That player's name was Ahmad Brooks...yeah...that same OLB who was 3rd on the team in sacks and 1st in forced fumbles.

Calm the hell down...I see there are a lot of Madden players in here who think rookies should just come in and tear the house down. Get a grip.

Calm down, huh? Don't know how you interpreted my response as getting all frenzied, as if there was a response that needed to "calm down" it would be yours.

I never criticized Balmer wasn't a good pickup - currently, there are people we passed up in this draft who are doing great with other teams (and that's not to say they'd be doing great on our team if we chose them instead). Ideally, from an ROI perspective, you would like your picks to perform in commensurate with the cost invested. So, all things the same, someone like Jackson would have brought us a faster ROI than Balmer considering when they were chosen. But, heck, if Balmer nets us a great performance next year then it would all be worth it.

You're absolutely right: many teams probably kick themselves every year for passing up on talent, and many times it does take a while for talent to develop (Brees is a good example). But the bottom line is netting the return on the cash invested in a player: VALUE.
nope,nada,naw,uh-uh,nese,na,ein,aach,nei,naaga,moh,bu shi.... hell, i can say no in about 20 more different languages! lol... i think ill stop there, u get the point. the guys a bum.
I've had Manny's back, Vernon's Back, Alex's Back...when people started to get on them....Balmer I have no hope for. I haven't see anything from him. I have no idea what they were thinking. Balmer seems like a complete miss.

Heck, I still have hope for Chilo.

To think we could have had Desean.
Originally posted by Born_Niner:
nope,nada,naw,uh-uh,nese,na,ein,aach,nei,naaga,moh,bu shi.... hell, i can say no in about 20 more different languages! lol... i think ill stop there, u get the point. the guys a bum.

what makes a guy a bum? someone who doesnt work hard? or someone who doesnt produce?

by all accounts seems Balmer is a very hard worker. and if were going by the "doesnt produce" argument the same can be said about Brooks until the latter half of this year, or Davis until this year, or Coffee.

or..are we going by the whole "first round status" deal? hmm yet we gave Vernon a pass for three years running. Alex has defenders since the first day we drafted him.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:

what makes a guy a bum? someone who doesnt work hard? or someone who doesnt produce?

by all accounts seems Balmer is a very hard worker. and if were going by the "doesnt produce" argument the same can be said about Brooks until the latter half of this year, or Davis until this year, or Coffee.

or..are we going by the whole "first round status" deal? hmm yet we gave Vernon a pass for three years running. Alex has defenders since the first day we drafted him.

Vernon at least showed signs that he was making a play every once in a while. You cant honestly say that Balmer has been making plays.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Usually takes DLinemen 3 years for them to bloom...Im sure if he keeps working out with Justin Smith in the off season, he will be just fine....

Besides he will be our future along with Ricky Jean Francious, on the DL....they wont contribute untill there is an injury next season....because our DL Im happy to say is pretty sick.

I think Balmer will become a Justin Smith type. Not an overpowering DE but a guy who's motor never stops. RJF slipped because of character issues which get sorted out as soon as Mike Singletary is your head coach.

I agree with you I think they'll both be good players and will be starters for 5+ years once Smith and/or Sop leave.

I believe Balmer will eventually mature and contribute but he shouldn’t have been taken in the first round. Turns out, he wasn’t even the BPA. This is where I fear McClaughan lacks the ability to recognize talent. Sure, he does well from the early to mid first round but after that, he is very inconsistent. Don't get me wrong he's managed to find a few gems like Gore, Haralson, Goldson, McDonald, Brown, and Morgan, but most of those guys where low risk high reward picks that slipped because of either health or character concerns. I think anyone of us could have done as well in a crapshoot. This year is McClaughan's make or break draft.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

Vernon at least showed signs that he was making a play every once in a while. You cant honestly say that Balmer has been making plays.

The reason Vernon was making plays was that we didn't have any other Tight Ends on the team so he played every down. We have an extremely talented defensive line so there really isn't any place for a 2nd year guy to get on the field in a 3-4. If we were in a 4-3 I guarantee Balmer would be playing more and most likely making plays.

DE in a 3-4 is all about technique, remember a few years ago when Franklin and Sop were struggling? Now they are solid starters. Give him a year before you pass judgment. At least wait until we get a chance to see him play regularly....
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

The reason Vernon was making plays was that we didn't have any other Tight Ends on the team so he played every down. We have an extremely talented defensive line so there really isn't any place for a 2nd year guy to get on the field in a 3-4. If we were in a 4-3 I guarantee Balmer would be playing more and most likely making plays.

DE in a 3-4 is all about technique, remember a few years ago when Franklin and Sop were struggling? Now they are solid starters. Give him a year before you pass judgment. At least wait until we get a chance to see him play regularly....

not only that but Vernon went from 52 catches to 30 somthing and noone was talking about how he regressed or even how he became a bum or anythin like that.

foreign is right about the Dline. One thing Balmer is not is a Bryant Young who came in and won DROY 94. Patience is somthing that people are selective with. Vernon Davis, Alex Smith hell Manny Lawson, people have patience.

Balmer hell no. hell even Cody Wallace. was a 4th rounder and people have been calling him a big time bust lol.
he is a bust because under standards of niners fans if youre not all pro as a rookie youre a bust....we dont want no stinkin development of young players...plus he got hurt his 2nd year, that automatically makes him a bust
Originally posted by hofer36:
he is a bust because under standards of niners fans if youre not all pro as a rookie youre a bust....we dont want no stinkin development of young players...plus he got hurt his 2nd year, that automatically makes him a bust

Exactly!!! He's already 23 Years old and hasnt hit 10+ sacks or 20+ forced fumbles, dont EVEN get me started with his interceptions!!!

There should be an IQ test and age discrimination to join this forum, especially after a loss
Share 49ersWebzone