There are 208 users in the forums

Does anybody think that Balmer has the potential to do....anything?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He skated through college football just doing enough to get by and still start. His coach told him he would have to wow the NFL scouts to get drafted so he actually worked hard the year he came out. He has NO heart, NO passion and just wants to skate and pick up a paycheck. So. . . to answer your question- He will be out of the league in 2-3 years, maybe a little longer if he shows enough flash to keeps teams interested.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
There was potentially no talent left in the first round up until the spot we had picked, so we should have traded that pick out to obtain DeSean Jackson or Ray Rice in the second round (and pick up a jobber in the 3rd).

It sucks to have a 1st round pick that plays like a 4th rounder.

Yeah, it still hurts to think about what we missed out in that second round.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
He skated through college football just doing enough to get by and still start. His coach told him he would have to wow the NFL scouts to get drafted so he actually worked hard the year he came out. He has NO heart, NO passion and just wants to skate and pick up a paycheck. So. . . to answer your question- He will be out of the league in 2-3 years, maybe a little longer if he shows enough flash to keeps teams interested.

Wow! There are too many Forensic Psychologists here. It sometimes feels like everybody here is a wannabe FBI profiler.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I think Balmer could be a decent 4-3 DT somwhere

I hated the pick at the time, but hoped Scotty knew what he was doin

90% of the Zone wanted Groves, but he's even worse, so its not like we all had a better ideas, cept the few who wanted FS Phillips or D.Jackson

Its true that many D'lineman take a few years to develop, so im not callin him a bust yet, I just think he's more suited to be a 4-3 DT
Balmer is about as athletic as a glass door knob. He is not flexible or fluid and runs like he has a stick up his arse. For that we used a 1st round pick and passed on Jackson. Scotty saw Jackson every Sat. tearing it up at CAL and still couldn't see the potential. Yet, he thinks Balmer is worth a 1st round pick. Pass me another beer, it doesn't make sense.
Originally posted by Giggidy:
There was potentially no talent left in the first round up until the spot we had picked, so we should have traded that pick out to obtain DeSean Jackson or Ray Rice in the second round (and pick up a jobber in the 3rd).

How do you think the Dolphins, Falcons and Cardinals feel??

They all passed on Patrick Willis in 2007 with a clear need at MLB.

32 teams (including the 49ers) twice passed on Frank Gore in 2005.

And if you want to take it a step further...the Patriots selected Brandon Meriweather in the 1st round in 2007...while Dashon Goldson was selected in the 4th that same year. You think Belicheck wouldnt rather have the .38 special rather than Meriweather if he could do it over??

Those things happen.

And for all of you incessant whiners on this board about Balmer. Singletary held another young player back saying he was not ready to contribute full time, and when he was...you would see him on the field.

That player's name was Ahmad Brooks...yeah...that same OLB who was 3rd on the team in sacks and 1st in forced fumbles.

Calm the hell down...I see there are a lot of Madden players in here who think rookies should just come in and tear the house down. Get a grip.
Originally posted by reasonable1:

And if you want to take it a step further...the Patriots selected Brandon Meriweather in the 1st round in 2007...while Dashon Goldson was selected in the 4th that same year. You think Belicheck wouldnt rather have the .38 special rather than Meriweather if he could do it over??

Those things happen.

And for all of you incessant whiners on this board about Balmer. Singletary held another young player back saying he was not ready to contribute full time, and when he was...you would see him on the field.

That player's name was Ahmad Brooks...yeah...that same OLB who was 3rd on the team in sacks and 1st in forced fumbles.

Calm the hell down...I see there are a lot of Madden players in here who think rookies should just come in and tear the house down. Get a grip.

Exactly. Not to mention he progressed very nicely this year. I fully expect him to break out this coming year when it all comes together.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
The last 10 years have shown that our team SUCKS at first round draft picks

Alex Smith
Mike Rumph
Kentwan Balmer
Rashaun Woods
Kwame Harris
Reggie McGrew
Druckenmiller

The bright side is Patrick Willis.
[ Edited by Shaj on Jan 31, 2010 at 5:39 AM ]
Originally posted by Shaj:

Alex Smith
Mike Rumph
Kentwan Balmer
Rashaun Woods
Kwame Harris
Reggie McGrew
Druckenmiller

You missed a few! Staley, Lawson, Davis and Crabtree. I think the period you are referring to has now passed. Thankfully
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Shaj:

Alex Smith
Mike Rumph
Kentwan Balmer
Rashaun Woods
Kwame Harris
Reggie McGrew
Druckenmiller

You missed a few! Staley, Lawson, Davis and Crabtree. I think the period you are referring to has now passed. Thankfully

you are right! I would add Staley and Davis and first round hits. I see Lawson as 3rd round quality, and I know this is blasphemy, but I'm unsure in what we have in Crabtree. The thing that bothers me is his YAC figures for us... he looks a little like JJ Stokes when he runs. I think he has the capability to light it up for us. We should know next year!

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
no

none at all

looks like a career back up, and probably a short career.
19 tackles in 27 games for a rookiie DE, backup, playing behind one of the best D lines in football and he was very raw coming out of college and evrybody knew that..i dont think is THAT bad i hope for much more of course but lets be patient on this one i dont think he will become a super star but he has hope of becoming a reliable player..why not?
Originally posted by reasonable1:

Those things happen.

Calm the hell down...I see there are a lot of Madden players in here who think rookies should just come in and tear the house down. Get a grip

I love Frank Gore, but you have to understand that he was a running back who had two major knee injuries in college. You are definently taking a chance by drafting an injury-prone back. And you make it sound like Gore is the best back in the league.

And about Ahmad Brooks, people were sayin the same thing about Parys Haralson last year after he had a couple of sacks. So I wouldnt get too excited just yet
[ Edited by PatrickWillisHOF on Feb 2, 2010 at 12:03 AM ]
  • EdEs
  • Veteran
He will at least be a solid rotational player at worst. If he doesn't perform this upcoming year give him a paycut
He's decent when he's on the field...we just have better linemen in Smith, Soap, and Franklin. What's the point of him playing over any of those guys? Lets just hope that we stay healthy and can continue to get solid rotation help from Balmer moving forward.

I'm semi-confident he could do a decent job for us if he needed to start.
Share 49ersWebzone