LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 196 users in the forums

Can We End Dble Standards in 2010?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Can We End Dble Standards in 2010?

LOL, guess some of you still have no understanding of dbl standard.

Let me paint a picture in lamen's terms;

1. Comebacks. --Rodgers and a few other qb's faltered in the first half in the post season, and regular season, but brought the team back, and some won and loss.
**But with us, our Qb has multiple games in which he brought us back, and if not for a few missed catches, and no fumbles, maybe we would of won those games. **

2. 300 game-- Our Qb was criticized because he didnt have one. The avg ydg for passing in the NFL is 240yds. He went over 300yds, and threw for 2td's. For any other team this would of been enough. Actual quotes from both Matt's. But we lost, because the D, didnt get stops when needed. In GB within the final 3:50, Sing even said after the game, had the D stopped them i would of loved to have seen if the Offense could of brought us back. And many fans that watched that game said the same thing.

And lets get off the offense, just to be objective.

The D. Regardless of the roller coaster ride, they were great at times, and horrible at times. Made tons of stops almost every game. However, we cant overlook the fact that they made horrible lines, look like Probowlers. Lack of passrush, hurt us for most of the season against good teams. And finally our secondary although pretty good in the INT department, still got beat on too many plays that cost us the game. But then some of us say how great they were when in the beginning they said top 5, well we finished maybe top 15. Big difference.

Matt said it yesterday, one thing that he's learned from the playoffs this weekend, is that defense does win games. That when you have A BALANCED ATTACK, things can work. Dont think soo, just look at the Jets, Rookie QB, who's not better than any of this post season's QB's in my opinion.

But damn what did he have to work with. No 1 running game, (fact, not like us to say we want to impose our running will.) Got him a no 1 receiver in Braylon Edwards. The top total team defense in the league (and they played just like it.... key word consistently)

And here's another double standard. Some say that you dont need a team to have all the pieces together in order to be a successful QB. But Sanchez is the perfect example of the exact opposite. What makes him good, besides his abilities is his surrounding cast. No 1 running game, No 1 total defense. So what does that do, takes the pressure off Sanchez and let him know that he doesnt have to put the team on his back to win. Just make plays when he can, and limit turnovers.

I'm not gonna go all into programs that both came into, but thats a dbl standard right there. Some knock our QB, and say he dont need the best system, but there was an example of how a rookie QB, came into a good situation, and was given the best supporting cast that produced consistently. Not like our team roller coaster.

So i say It can end if we look at the wins and losses in the team aspect, and not just with one player.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Nice stealth Alex Smith thread....

On the surface it wouldn't seem this is one, but lo and behold, IT IS.

LOL, no no no, not a Smith thread this time. Although i have yet to read one thread saying something about the offense and Smith isnt mentioned so what you gonna do right.

But like i said COMPLETELY TAKE OUT SMITH. And if you focus on the D. At times other teams D are strong all game, and whether the other teams offense is producing or not, they're almost consistent 90 % of the time.

With us, who cares if we stopped em all game, because throughout the entire season, say what you want, but the D's inability to stop the opposing team cost us games. We shut down the team a week before GB, but then turn around and Give GB and Rodgers his best offensive output in his career in the first half. They played a big role in why we lost that game, and had to play catch up. Manning can produce no TD's, but the Defense regardless of time on the field, will still make the stops needed.

Truthfully i can count on two hands how many times all season, whether ahead or behind in some of those losses, had the D made the stop here, or stop there, didnt let them convert that third down.

And I loved this one too, dont you. Smith produced against sorry teams in the last 3 games, and most pointed that out. Well they were sorry teams soo. But at the same token, the defense played lights out and had some of their best defensive outputs. HMMMM, did we forget that on defense too we are playing a sorry team.

But you see, we praise the D, for wreaking havoc against sorry teams, but knock the offense because they produced against a sorry defense. Even Ray charles can see this double standard, if none at all.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by CalgaryNiner:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I was fascinated by the number of one handed catches by the WRs of balls thrown behind them, over them, and beyond them. The good WRs get the ball, catch it, hold on to it, and often run it in. Arizona and Green Bay have some very talented receivers. We now have two of our own and if Morgan, Hill, Jones, Walker, or whoever we draft, develop we will have a talented three to four deep set of WRs. I love watching Crabtrees ability to catch. It will definitely help Smith a great deal, just as without Fitzgerald and Jennings catching everything thrown their way we would think less of Warner and Rogers.

I also thought it was interesting how Flacco played. 10 passes, with four completions. In SF that would be a high crime. But he got the job done, with a fantastic Oline, and with a deep Running game. Same with the Jets. Not a statistical wonder but the defense set the tone and the team won.

We have our role models in place, lets get our oline in place, get a speedy receiver with velvet hands and lets play this coming year.

The problem is most fans of a team cannot view their team with objectivity. We're all too emotionally invested to make rational judgments.

Most non-49ers fans have watched Smith play this year and say he has improved considerably. They are not emotionally invested in him so they can exercise objectivity.
The funny thing is, if you look around Packers forums, they have been frustrated with how Rodgers has been holding onto the ball too long all season. I noticed these sentiments again in the ESPN forums after the game ending fumble last night.

All fans over-judge their own team - that's just the way it is.

By the same token. The team doesn't have time to nurture a QB taking baby steps. Watching other teams we can clearly see he is sub par. There is a reason for we cannot do much offensively, it is the QB not the o line.

Nor do we have time to put a solid Line in front of ANOTHER player while we wait for THEM to catch on with the Offense.

It's astounding how little you think of the other problems surrounding our beleaguered QB. And a damn good thing you aren't working within our organization. If you were this team would NEVER have a winning season.

~Ceadder

man i can't wait till the OL gets better, so maybe you will finally open your eyes and SEE that we have NOTHING more than a mediocre QB.
No, the double standards will not end, but does it really matter?

The only thing that matters to me as a Niner fan is that every Zoner wants to win. We all have "OPINIONs" on how that should happen.

Go Niners!!!
Smith produced against sorry teams in the last 3 games, and most pointed that out. Well they were sorry teams, soo. But at the same token, the defense played lights out and had some of their best defensive outputs. HMMMM, did we forget that on defense too we are playing a sorry team.

But you see, we praise the D, for wreaking havoc against sorry teams, but knock the offense because they produced against a sorry defense. Even Ray charles can see this double standard, if none at all.

Can someone please adress this because some of us like to just look from the eyes of personal bias, but someone explain this to me.

By the way, didnt someone say Smith went from 2 to 6 and most in the final game. Wasnt that against sorry team tho.

Just curious?
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Smith produced against sorry teams in the last 3 games, and most pointed that out. Well they were sorry teams, soo. But at the same token, the defense played lights out and had some of their best defensive outputs. HMMMM, did we forget that on defense too we are playing a sorry team.

Can someone please adress this because some of us like to just look from the eyes of personal bias, but someone explain this to me.

By the way, didnt someone say J. Smith went from 2 to 6 sacks and most in the final game. Wasnt that against sorry team tho.

Just curious?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It will never stop. I've come to the conclusion that nothing will satisfy the anti-Smith crowd. If Smith had performed as Rodgers yesterday, there would be a billion "Smith sucks" threads.

-9fA

Smith has had roughly the same # of games to perform like Rodgers (I'm guesstimating, based on Rodger's late start and Smith's injuries), and the verdict is Smith can't carry Rodger's jock strap. If he had a game like Rodgers had vs the cards, I'd be very excited and would give him his dues. The problem is, Smith can't topple even 300 yards in a game any more than once every three years of playing time.
Originally posted by Shaj:
It will never stop. I've come to the conclusion that nothing will satisfy the anti-Smith crowd. If Smith had performed as Rodgers yesterday, there would be a billion "Smith sucks" threads.

-9fA

Smith has had roughly the same # of games to perform like Rodgers (I'm guesstimating, based on Rodger's late start and Smith's injuries), and the verdict is Smith can't carry Rodger's jock strap. If he had a game like Rodgers had vs the cards, I'd be very excited and would give him his dues. The problem is, Smith can't topple even 300 yards in a game any more than once every three years of playing time.

Nobody is disputing that Rodgers is a better QB than Smith. I was hoping that we'd draft Rodgers over Smith but that's all in the past. Whether Rodgers would be performing as he is today on our team is a question to which nobody has the answer to.

Your last sentence is exactly what I'm referring to. There was a time when the anti-Smith crowd was using the fact that Smith hasn't had a 300 yard game as evidence that he's a bad QB. Now that he's had that 300 yard game, those same people are writing off that game because he didn't win and yet are praising Rodgers for his performance. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

-9fA
Originally posted by valrod33:

-9fA

this

Patriot fans are criticizing Brady

Packers fans are criticizing Rodgers

Giants fans are criticizing Eli (justifiably so)

It's the nature of the beast. I will say this though, for all of those who dissect Smith's every throw, watch Indy and Green Bay and won't even be able to count the amount of times their receivers catch balls off the mark and get huge YAC.

I can't even count how many times I look on this board and see: "Alex threw the ball too hard, he has no touch" etc.

Really? Too hard?

Get real

By the way, didnt someone say J. Smith went from 2 to 6 sacks and most in the final game. Wasnt that against sorry team tho.

Just curious?

Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by krizay:
So this is just another pro Alex Smith thread dressed up like a pep rally thread!

They are sneaky! Those nut huggers!

Ok.... This was very funny!!!!!

Thank you for noticing, so many others simply get angry with me.... I am so misunderstood! They should do a made for TV LMN movie about my posts.
Originally posted by GORE-ILLA:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by CalgaryNiner:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I was fascinated by the number of one handed catches by the WRs of balls thrown behind them, over them, and beyond them. The good WRs get the ball, catch it, hold on to it, and often run it in. Arizona and Green Bay have some very talented receivers. We now have two of our own and if Morgan, Hill, Jones, Walker, or whoever we draft, develop we will have a talented three to four deep set of WRs. I love watching Crabtrees ability to catch. It will definitely help Smith a great deal, just as without Fitzgerald and Jennings catching everything thrown their way we would think less of Warner and Rogers.

I also thought it was interesting how Flacco played. 10 passes, with four completions. In SF that would be a high crime. But he got the job done, with a fantastic Oline, and with a deep Running game. Same with the Jets. Not a statistical wonder but the defense set the tone and the team won.

We have our role models in place, lets get our oline in place, get a speedy receiver with velvet hands and lets play this coming year.

The problem is most fans of a team cannot view their team with objectivity. We're all too emotionally invested to make rational judgments.

Most non-49ers fans have watched Smith play this year and say he has improved considerably. They are not emotionally invested in him so they can exercise objectivity.
The funny thing is, if you look around Packers forums, they have been frustrated with how Rodgers has been holding onto the ball too long all season. I noticed these sentiments again in the ESPN forums after the game ending fumble last night.

All fans over-judge their own team - that's just the way it is.

By the same token. The team doesn't have time to nurture a QB taking baby steps. Watching other teams we can clearly see he is sub par. There is a reason for we cannot do much offensively, it is the QB not the o line.

Nor do we have time to put a solid Line in front of ANOTHER player while we wait for THEM to catch on with the Offense.

It's astounding how little you think of the other problems surrounding our beleaguered QB. And a damn good thing you aren't working within our organization. If you were this team would NEVER have a winning season.

~Ceadder

man i can't wait till the OL gets better, so maybe you will finally open your eyes and SEE that we have NOTHING more than a mediocre QB.

Vice versa baby, vice versa.

~Ceadder
Well i figured it's time to bring this one back in the forum, because if anything i'm seeing more and more dble standards as days go one since our last game.

There is really one gleeming issue that I have and it's this.

1. Smith was said to have been sorry, because in the past 3 games, we won 2 of them, but most didnt like that he produced so little, or in better words, not what some of us fans feel is feasable when playing a sorry ass team.

Well my dbl standard is this, Smith did produce in the last 3 games, but we can give him no accolades on the win. Ok point taken, but in the same sentence, because of the last 3 games Smith made it to the Pro-Bowl, Lawson, Brooks, and Harylson, all had great games in the last 3 games.

So if we are being fair. Why do we not give any credit to Smith for the wins as well, and some of us use the excuse it's a f**ked up team.

But our D personnel, can have some career days, but we forget the fact that its against a sorry team as well. So I dont see how you can make two different arguments for any type of production in those final 3 games.
Share 49ersWebzone