LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Why I am worried about bring back Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
That and 2nd and 8, 2nd and 8, 2nd and 8, ad nauseam.

lol cuz every team has a 2nd and 2....
3 and outs here we come!!!
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

f**k that!!!
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Well, when the D knows we're gonna run up the middle on 1st and 10 its hard to convert 3rd downs. Hopefully we can get some decent playaction this year, that will help.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
cuz he's a hard headed moron who doesn't seem to have a creative cell in his half dead brain.

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

That's because we practice the 2 yard pass in OTA's
Anybody ever think that Raye's playbook was drastically toned down/altered due to a revolving door at QB and an inept offensive line?

Look I'm skeptical of the guy but I think it's only logical to give him a second shot with the same system in tact for a second year, the same QB in that system and a (hopefully) competent offensive line. Not to mention Crabtree in year 2.

He may be much more liberal in his playcalling.

If he's not after this year, then I say we break out the torches and storm the village. But until then, all arguments are premature.
  • treetrunks
  • Info N/A
I don't mind having Jimmy Raye back at all. I'd rather have continuity in the offense with hopes that our players grow in the system they are playing. As they progress in the system, the team's key players will then be able to voice their opinions about the system and tweak it here and there. It's just like how Manning and Brady, for example, get to have a say in how they run plays or handle audibles or whatnot.
That's all so much better than what we've been seeing the past few years.
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

Alright Team, do you really believe this?

Your assumption is that Raye can't coordinate his offense, right? So....no one on this team has any wherewithall to elevate their play or play calling after a year in the SAME offense? Is that right?

We just have a bunch of dumb f**ks as players and coaches who can't do anything and just fail?

Really?

Ah, they will just give up and make you right.

Dude, get some faith and believe. All of ya!! You nay-sayers need to let it go and cheer like a fan!

Definition of fan: An ardent devotee

So are you guys ardent devotees?

And don't come back with "Oh, I have been waiting since Nolan or waiting since 2002." So have the rest of us.

SNAP OUT OF IT!!! THIS IS A NEW YEAR.

Don't want to be disappointed? Then turn in your Niner card and stop biatching like lil girls not getting the right Barbie.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

Sometimes Team, sometimes...

It was the drinky talkin... A toast! A toast to all non-believers! That they may just become kids again and root for their team just cause!

• Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Anybody ever think that Raye's playbook was drastically toned down/altered due to a revolving door at QB and an inept offensive line?

Look I'm skeptical of the guy but I think it's only logical to give him a second shot with the same system in tact for a second year, the same QB in that system and a (hopefully) competent offensive line. Not to mention Crabtree in year 2.

He may be much more liberal in his playcalling.

If he's not after this year, then I say we break out the torches and storm the village. But until then, all arguments are premature.

Thats how I feel to an extent. Injuries will happen and they happen to every team so that excuse only lasts a little while. he still has to play(call) through them.

But Our O is much more vamped up this year and we should benefit from a season of everbody being on the same page...well see what happens
This article really captures what most fans have been voicing all along:

Offensive Philosophy

This year we will be coming into the season with 2 rookie linemen, 3 cowbell RB's, no RB speed off tackle, defenses with plenty of game-film on Raye's predictable play-calling and Davis' "seam route" and probably no Baas pulling at LG for Gore TD's. Away games are brutal for us, starting drives and extra time to prepare for teams seem to work against us.

That said, continuity should help esp. if Raye actually decides to research his opponents weaknesses for a change, game-plan properly and practice them to perfection in practice (ala Walsh) and allows Alex (much more audibles) and others to attack those weaknesses. Raye SHOULD know his players better and doesn't have that excuse anymore. The same offensive system should help but he greatly needs to expand to an NFL offense from Pop Warner. Better o-line coaches should help too.

We don't need "balance." We have all the tools to be a spread and hopefully a grind-'em-out offense too now. What we need is an OC that can effectively exploit a defenses weaknesses the first half (and the whole game) and secure that win in the second half. If that means predominatly running a spread against a team who's major weakness is against the pass or running predominatly against a team who's weakness is against the run, we do that!

Again, it all comes down to offensive philosophy, game planning, preparation and execution. Talent and injuries and even the QB to a large degree are no longer excuses. Singletary and Raye have their players now.

2010 is all on Singletary and his cowbell, Raye! Right now, Singletary and Raye's desire to grind it out and hope to be in a position to win it in the 4th quarter is a recipe for a .500 club at best esp. in today's game, IMHO. Let's hope they both have learned a lot from 2009!

Let the games begin!!!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM ]

Originally posted by NCommand:

Offensive Philosophy

This year we will be coming into the season with 2 rookie linemen, 3 cowbell RB's, no RB speed off tackle, defenses with plenty of game-film on Raye's predictable play-calling and Davis' "seam route" and probably no Baas pulling at LG for Gore TD's. Away games are brutal for us, starting drives and extra time to prepare for teams seem to work against us.

That said, continuity should help esp. if Raye actually decides to research his opponents weaknesses for a change, game-plan properly and practice them to perfection in practice (ala Walsh) and allows Alex (much more audibles) and others to attack those weaknesses. Raye SHOULD know his players better and doesn't have that excuse anymore. The same offensive system should help but he greatly needs to expand to an NFL offense from Pop Warner. Better o-line coaches should help too.

We don't need "balance." We have all the tools to be a spread and hopefully a grind-'em-out offense too now. What we need is an OC that can effectively exploit a defenses weaknesses the first half (and the whole game) and secure that win in the second half. If that means predominatly running a spread against a team who's major weakness is against the pass or running predominatly against a team who's weakness is against the run, we do that!

Again, it all comes down to offensive philosophy, game planning, preparation and execution. Talent and injuries and even the QB to a large degree are no longer excuses. Singletary and Raye have their players now.

2010 is all on Singletary and his cowbell, Raye! Right now, Singletary and Raye's desire to grind it out and hope to be in a position to win it in the 4th quarter is a recipe for a .500 club at best esp. in today's game, IMHO. Let's hope they both have learned a lot from 2009!

Let the games begin!!!

You mean bellcow?

I do have a fever though, and the only prescription is....
I think I read/saw somewhere this offseason that they were running a few more quick slants.

I will take that anyday, over the lame ass bubble screens. (didnt we used to run quick slants in the Steve young days, that Jerry would take to the house ???)
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I think I read/saw somewhere this offseason that they were running a few more quick slants.

I will take that anyday, over the lame ass bubble screens. (didnt we used to run quick slants in the Steve young days, that Jerry would take to the house ???)

That's exactly what we used to run with Jerry and John Taylor. I think we are well suited to run it this year with Crabs. I hate those screens, they need to go.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Offensive Philosophy

Let the games begin!!!

You mean bellcow?

I do have a fever though, and the only prescription is....

LMAO! Good catch...BELLCOW!
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Those slant will be now open because of Verns seem routes that he loves so much. this will allow crabs to get the type of passes he's use to catching.
Share 49ersWebzone