LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

Why I am worried about bring back Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DownSouth:
Raye/Singletary's continuing talk of "power football" is what worries me. If we try to run up the gut two thirds of the time like we did last year, this team is in trouble. Even with the best OL in football, it's hard to beat a defense that knows what is coming.

One of the other things that worry me about all of our coaches (sing, Raye and manusky) is the more time we had to prepare for a team, the worse we played. It looked like our coaches couldn't prepare a gameplan--even with extra time to do it. Look at the games we had extra time to prepare for--Houston & GB. The team didn't get off the bus in Houston until we were down by 21points and scrapped the gameplan in favor of the spread. In GB, the game wasn't as close as the score indicated (and we were down by 20 at halftime). We blew numerous chances and the team looked scared.

Yet again, we had a giant midseason swoon. We won 3 of our first 4 games and 3 of our last 4. That sounds great, but we lost 6 of our middle 8 games. This team fell apart like that under Nolan and it continues under Singletary. If that doesn't change this year, we can forget the playoffs. This year, the middle 8 games will be: Philly, Oakland, Carolina, Denver, Stlou, TB, AZ, and GB. We've got to take care of business in those games--we've got to win at least 5 of them.

THAT has to change.

Very good post and I share ALL your concerns. Add in the piss poor winning percentage on the road to that as well. In years past, we seem to start out well, hit that mid-season reality and then win a few at the end to save grace. This year we've got a much tougher schedule starting the season. So it should be interesting to watch.

There is a lot to watch for in order for us to take that next step no matter what else happens with the rest of the teams in the NFC West.
Pretty much everyone agrees that this is the year of decision for Smith, but you have to throw Raye in there too. If the offense sucks, if the playcalling is...Rayish, then he will have to go.

What will be interesting is the process of replacing Raye. How many OCs believe in Sing's smashmouth theories? Who would actually come here unless they were given some autonomy? If the change took place in the middle of the season, how long would it take to find a replacement?
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Jimmy Raye is the only thing holding me back from being very very optimistic about this season. I could not possibly have less faith in that guy.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
regardless of opinions Raye is going to be here this year.

worried or not.

everyone on the zone at one time or another has had a boss that they didnt feel could get the job done yet we succeeded anyway.
thats your hope right there.
Originally posted by Crown:

worried or not.

everyone on the zone at one time or another has had a boss that they didnt feel could get the job done yet we succeeded anyway.

I like Jimmy Raye. I think his style and personality mesh well with what this team is about. hes well respected around the league and has tons of experience. Everyone keeps talking about how 2 years withe same OC will benefit Alex Smith but i see the inverse being true as well. Having Smith for a 2nd year imo will improve how Raye calls a game.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Crown:

worried or not.

Say what you want about Raye's offense (it is based on the Coryell digit system), he did show an ability to make some adjustments.

I hated the power running philosophy when we did not have the line to do it.

With Rachal, Davis, Iupati, and Staley, that will change.

You run to set up the pass, and vice versa. Walsh passed to set up the run, then ran in the 4th Quarter.

We are going to see a lot of spread but Alex apparently has taken command (Urban Meyersesque). He knows the offense now. He's barking to the other players in OTAs.

This is not Nolan, 2 yards, 2 yards, INC, Punt.

We have some weapons in VD, Delanie, Crabs, Morgan, Ginn, Hill, Gore.

In the fourth quarter when we are in a close game and we need to run out the clock or hold onto the lead. We will be able to get those 3rd and 2s, 3rd and 1s with Byham, Dixon leading the charge.

Gore is already in midseason form.

I'm not worried about Raye coming back another year.

Raye's philosophy --- KISS -- Keep it Simple Stupid

Hot Young OCs always want to be HCs. IF we are grooming Mike Johnson as OC, aren't we really just grooming him as HC in a few years?

Oh yeah, anyone that said that Joe had no input into the plays . . . .
Originally posted by natrone06:
I like Jimmy Raye. I think his style and personality mesh well with what this team is about. hes well respected around the league and has tons of experience. Everyone keeps talking about how 2 years withe same OC will benefit Alex Smith but i see the inverse being true as well. Having Smith for a 2nd year imo will improve how Raye calls a game.

This.

Chemistry is not overrated. If you have none it won't be long before it becomes apparent. Nolan has vision, he just didn't have the chemistry imho. I don't believe that he was THAT BAD a HC. I just don't think that he knew how to translate his vision to his players. It got so they started questioning him.

Imho that was at the time that he threw his QB under the bus. Whether he intended to or not, doesn't matter. The fact is that he did it and I guarantee players saw that and thought "am I next" if I go down. He was why I noticed Jennings attitude. Especially when Allen had to step in. That is what made me pay more attention to Heitmann.

Nolan had vision, just didn't have that great communicator gene that coach Walsh had. Coach Walsh could be an absolute tyrant when he thought he had to be though.

~Ceadder
im not worried about jimmy raye his offense was predicatable at start but throughout season jimmy rayes offense was more productive than any offensive coordinator we have had last 5 years only year norv turner was coordinator did ground game look better and he got break out production from alex smith and vernon davis also the team is built on running game and this dominant 49ers defense check it out

http://redzone-re-cutter.nfl.com/clip.aspx?key=86FE80BC52C5722B&ctx=medialist&type=image
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Jimmy Raye is the only thing holding me back from being very very optimistic about this season. I could not possibly have less faith in that guy.

+1

Originally posted by nooj:

+1

Yo

Sorry to say,

Brother Jimmy Raye

has not got what it takes

To help us not lose

Makes me want to snooze

With those 3 and outs

Makes me want yell and shout

Take your play calling

And bring someone who is balling

Yo

DJ SF
[ Edited by RogerCraig on May 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM ]
I don't think the problem is Raye. Say what you want about him but he gives our playmakers the best chance at succeeding. His offense fits Alex Smith, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and now our new beefed up offensive line as well.

If there is a problem it's our front office and Mike Singletary. We're striving for boring on offense. We've accepted the message that being Baltimore's retarded step sister is the best direction for our franchise. Replacing Raye won't change that.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

+1

Yo

Sorry to say,

Brother Jimmy Raye

To help us not lose

Makes me want to snooze

With those 3 and outs

Take your playing calling

Somewhere else dude

Bring someone in who is balling

Yo

DJ SF

DJ Train-wreck...is that you?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

+1

Yo

Sorry to say,

Brother Jimmy Raye

To help us not lose

Makes me want to snooze

With those 3 and outs

Take your playing calling

And bring someone who is balling

Yo

DJ SF

DJ Train-wreck...is that you?

Pretty bad - I agree
If the defense knows what is coming because of the predictable playcalling, our offense will not succeed. You have to be creative with your offensive scheme or the defense will figure you out!
Share 49ersWebzone