There are 201 users in the forums

Why I am worried about bring back Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We didnt improve on 3rd down as the season went on. We never fixed that problem. It was a problem throughout the entire season. Singletary said stuff like "the players are not executing the plays on 3rd down", but if you ask me, the problem is 3rd down playcalling.
That and 2nd and 8, 2nd and 8, 2nd and 8, ad nauseam.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
We didnt improve on 3rd down as the season went on. We never fixed that problem. It was a problem throughout the entire season. Singletary said stuff like "the players are not executing the plays on 3rd down", but if you ask me, the problem is 3rd down playcalling.

It's hard to have 3000 packages for 3rd and long. We need to fix the line so that we can gain some ground on First down run plays... That way we can get into 2nd or 3rd and short.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

It's hard to have 3000 packages for 3rd and long. We need to fix the line so that we can gain some ground on First down run plays... That way we can get into 2nd or 3rd and short.

A little imagination on 1st and 2nd down wouldn't hurt either. Maybe with an offseason with the same receivers, QB and OC they can work on that.
cuz he's a hard headed moron who doesn't seem to have a creative cell in his half dead brain.

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"
My favorite play was against Indy. We were backed up at our own 12 yard line, and it was 3rd and 8. Jimmy called a full back dive with Norris. Great call.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
cuz he's a hard headed moron who doesn't seem to have a creative cell in his half dead brain.

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

Or it could be that were constantly in 3rd and 20
My favorite play was against Indy. We were backed up at our own 12 yard line, and it was 3rd and 8. Jimmy called a full back dive with Norris. Great call.

Can you honestly say that you saw that coming?
  • Dreskee
  • Info N/A

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

Dont forget to throw in a draw on 3rd and long too as well
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Can you honestly say that you saw that coming?

good point! The element of surprise. AKA: Dementia.

I have never been a fan of Bill Cosby I mean Jimmy Raye. The poster brings up a good point. You can't blame the players entirely. There was never any improvement.

When it comes to offense I like young innovative minds. Not old school philosophies.

Sean Peyton comes to mind. Josh McDaniels etc... I say promote Johnson to OC.
[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:09 PM ]
For me personally, that last game was the most frustrating game to watch in a long time. Sing talked all week how he wanted Alex Smith to have a good game so it could be a smoother off season. I expected the 49ers to come out using shot gun and throwing the ball around the field. And WTF do we get? AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! The same run first down, run second, and then a draw/screen on third down for the entire first half. I mean seriously, WTF? Regardless of your feelings on Smith, how is he (or any QB) supposed to be successful when he only throws the ball on 3rd and long?

The second half was better, but why not do it the whole game?

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

next drive

"3rd and 20? SCREEN!!!"

i beg to differ, yes he needs a lot of work but what about the 4th down calls he has made, like the long passes to Gore and VD on 4th and short , those were some damn good play calls
I think bringing him back is a good idea. The only thing we haven't tried is consistency and continuity. We can keep doing this 10 Offensive Coordinators in 10 years or 15 Offensive Coordinators in 15 years but at some point you have to realize that is not going to help our team gel. We have done that now over and over enough to know it's a losing formula.

How about this? We give Alex Smith the same Offensive Coordinator and same system 2 years in a row for the first time in his entire career. Gee what a concept...
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The real problem was the 49ers seemed to be in a LOT of 3rd and 7 or more. Whether it was because the running game wasn't working early or a knocked down or dropped pass or a sack or whatever, more often than not they seemed to be in more 3rd and longs than the other team. Part of the original plan was that with Gore running the ball early, they would be in more 3rd and 3 or less, which would lead to more 3rd down conversions, more TOP, winning the field position battle, etc. Obviously they need to be better on 3rd down but that may come if they can be better on 1st and 2nd down.
Share 49ersWebzone