LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Move David Baas to center

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So you are downplaying Baas' accomplishments from here on because you don't want him to overshadow Heitmann?

Can't the fans simply appreciate the good from... both?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
So you are downplaying Baas' accomplishments from here on because you don't want him to overshadow Heitmann?

If Baas does well, I will enjoy it as much as anyone else. I just think it is humorous that one chunk of a preseason game, against a weak DT corps, has got so many people lathered up, and thinking that Baas is the future starter for this team. He isn't, because as I stated before, players do not suddenly become good overnight.

So, let the better man win. However, in the end, there is no competition, just like in camp. A healthy Heitmann is the starter, and Baas the backup.

The only way I can see Baas continue to start is if Rachal or Iupati goes down with injuries or is playing poorly. Heitmann is the unquestioned starter, and leader, on this line, and once he comes back will be inserted in the starting lineup.

I choose to live in the land of reality, and trust that the head coach, OC, OL coaches, and scouts know what they are talking about. That's all.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 17, 2010 at 06:36:04 ]

Shocking MD would make this post. It was what it was, and it was way better than many expected and that includes Sing if you spin his words enough. Nobody cares MD, lets not make this about, "I'm still right about Heitmann." it's old, played out, and self absorbed. I think Heitmann is a great center, but Baas really showed up in a way that was unexpected. Good on him, lets not marginalize it now for personal reasons because that's pathetic.
I can see Baas starting if he does very good during the regular season and Rachal does not. In that scenario I see Heitmann playing RG for Rachal, I don't remember which side he played on before moving to center but I have to believe his technique will be more useful than a floundering Rachal. I also believe it would better serve Davis.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Cast the bust for the Hall of Fame!

David Baas played pretty well against the 24th ranked rush defense in the NFL, headlined by the immortal rotation of Antonio Johnson, Daniel Muir (signed a one year contract this year), Fili Moala (7 career tackles), and bench superstars Marlon Favorite and Mitch King. This is simply one of the greatest colletion of DT's in NFL history.

Now that I can abandon sarcasm, let's get to reality:
1) Baas played a pretty good game. In all sincerity, Congrats to Baas! However, let's be realistic about the level of competition he played against, and how defenses do not throw a lot of wrinkles into preseason games.
2) Players do not simply become "good" overnight, even if some board members pray day and night that it happens. Baas has worked out at center his entire career, and if any of the previous head coaches, offensive coordinators, offensive line coaches, or team scouts on the team thought he was very good at the position, he wouldn't be behind Heitmann on the depth chart.
3) The Niners thought so highly of Baas that they gave him a...one year contract. These are the same people who have access to see him play that no one on this board possesses (practices, scrimmages, etc.).
4) One game does not make a career, nor does one practice. A week ago, people were calling for Wragge to replace Baas after Baas could not consistently snap the ball accurately to Smith in practice. Suddenly, he is a star???

The bottom line is that there are a few wishful thinkers on this board, as well as one "genius". These people, in the end, will more than likely be proven wrong. If not, I will come forward and say that I was wrong. The "genius" has been wrong for years now, and can gloat over his one preaseon game. Good for him. You are a one-game preseason genius.

Players do not suddenly emerge overnight to become good. Baas was a player not even in contention for a starting spot at center. Suddenly, he is a star? Let's be realistic. You must think the whole organization is full of idiots. So, enjoy your season in the sun. The reality of Baas' talent to start is going to emerge sometime sooner rather than later, when he has to face real NFL tackles, not soup cans. Enjoy the gloating for now.

Excellent points all around. I would also like to add it may be troublesome for the quarterbacks to see around his enormous head. Time will tell.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Shocking MD would make this post. It was what it was, and it was way better than many expected and that includes Sing if you spin his words enough. Nobody cares MD, lets not make this about, "I'm still right about Heitmann." it's old, played out, and self absorbed. I think Heitmann is a great center, but Baas really showed up in a way that was unexpected. Good on him, lets not marginalize it now for personal reasons because that's pathetic.

Good post here, and this is the way I took it also.

I have not been playing close attention to this forum's alleged "lathering of Baas", so this is why I asked. I like the both of them well enough, and only want the best for our offense and team.
this is a whole lot of chatter considering the fact that heitmann is probably out for 2-3 games at worst
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Good post here, and this is the way I took it also.

I have not been playing close attention to this forum's alleged "lathering of Baas", so this is why I asked. I like the both of them well enough, and only want the best for our offense and team.

I want winners I thought Baas played good enough to sooth my jitters I had when Heitmann went down. That's all that matters, the rest will play out and I'm happy with what ever happens.
I thought Baas played well against the Colts. The one big thing I didn't see him do, and maybe he hasn't been given permission from the coaching staff yet, is snap the ball when the Colts D jumpped offsides. Happened at least twice and one ended in a 3 and out when the Colts jumpped on 3rd and 1.

Free play and automatic first down. Gotta take a chance at those!

If Baas does well, I will enjoy it as much as anyone else. I just think it is humorous that one chunk of a preseason game, against a weak DT corps, has got so many people lathered up, and thinking that Baas is the future starter for this team. He isn't, because as I stated before, players do not suddenly become good overnight.

So, let the better man win. However, in the end, there is no competition, just like in camp. A healthy Heitmann is the starter, and Baas the backup.

The only way I can see Baas continue to start is if Rachal or Iupati goes down with injuries or is playing poorly. Heitmann is the unquestioned starter, and leader, on this line, and once he comes back will be inserted in the starting lineup.

I choose to live in the land of reality, and trust that the head coach, OC, OL coaches, and scouts know what they are talking about. That's all.

Usually true, but it is what happened to Franklin. Not saying it happens to Baas, but thought I'd make that point

I've never seen anyone in love with a decent NFL starting center as I have on here. Also, basically rooting against his replacement to fail tells me this is more than a crush on Heitmann. Maybe it is his piano playing skills that has caused this romance?
Frickin' Ay!!!

Again, with the focus on the negativity. It never ends.

The bottom line and fact is that BAAS PLAYED BETTER THAN EXPECTED AT ALL LEVELS!!!!!

WTH is wrong with that? It's a move in the right direction. Of course Heitmann will return and will be the man. But Baas playing the way he did only solidifies our depth at the position which was suspect to begin the off-season.

Now, we have some options. That in itself deserves

We will see how he fairs against The Williams Fatties of Minny. That's where his true test will be including all the OL.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Frickin' Ay!!!

The bottom line and fact is that BAAS PLAYED BETTER THAN EXPECTED AT ALL LEVELS!!!!!

WTH is wrong with that? It's a move in the right direction. Of course Heitmann will return and will be the man. But Baas playing the way he did only solidifies our depth at the position which was suspect to begin the off-season.

We will see how he fairs against The Williams Fatties of Minny. That's where his true test will be including all the OL.

this. baas looked capable at C the other day, if he continues to play pretty well he can hold the fort until Heitman gets back and be a decent interior backup. nothing wrong or controversial about that...
Cast the bust for the Hall of Fame!

David Baas played pretty well against the 24th ranked rush defense in the NFL, headlined by the immortal rotation of Antonio Johnson, Daniel Muir (signed a one year contract this year), Fili Moala (7 career tackles), and bench superstars Marlon Favorite and Mitch King. This is simply one of the greatest colletion of DT's in NFL history.

Now that I can abandon sarcasm, let's get to reality:
1) Baas played a pretty good game. In all sincerity, Congrats to Baas! However, let's be realistic about the level of competition he played against, and how defenses do not throw a lot of wrinkles into preseason games.
2) Players do not simply become "good" overnight, even if some board members pray day and night that it happens. Baas has worked out at center his entire career, and if any of the previous head coaches, offensive coordinators, offensive line coaches, or team scouts on the team thought he was very good at the position, he wouldn't be behind Heitmann on the depth chart.
3) The Niners thought so highly of Baas that they gave him a...one year contract. These are the same people who have access to see him play that no one on this board possesses (practices, scrimmages, etc.).
4) One game does not make a career, nor does one practice. A week ago, people were calling for Wragge to replace Baas after Baas could not consistently snap the ball accurately to Smith in practice. Suddenly, he is a star???

The bottom line is that there are a few wishful thinkers on this board, as well as one "genius". These people, in the end, will more than likely be proven wrong. If not, I will come forward and say that I was wrong. The "genius" has been wrong for years now, and can gloat over his one preaseon game. Good for him. You are a one-game preseason genius.

Players do not suddenly emerge overnight to become good. Baas was a player not even in contention for a starting spot at center. Suddenly, he is a star? Let's be realistic. You must think the whole organization is full of idiots. So, enjoy your season in the sun. The reality of Baas' talent to start is going to emerge sometime sooner rather than later, when he has to face real NFL tackles, not soup cans. Enjoy the gloating for now.

Your statement about players playing good overnight is too general and you should have added, players who have played one way in the same system and scheme and at the same position do not play well overnight.

Baas moved to "his" more comfortable position with new OL coaching. That can make a huge difference. Just look at the difference between Simms at RT and at LT.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Frickin' Ay!!!

Share 49ersWebzone