LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 326 users in the forums

Move David Baas to center

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I say move Heitmann to RG if Rachal can't pull it together by the time he gets healthy. Having Heitmann next to Davis would undoubtedly help him develop his technique. I was very impressed by Baas last night, and RFJ for that matter.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
I say move Heitmann to RG if Rachal can't pull it together by the time he gets healthy. Having Heitmann next to Davis would undoubtedly help him develop his technique. I was very impressed by Baas last night, and RFJ for that matter.

Heitmann would be even worse at RG where u really need a big, strong, drive blocker. At least at Center, he does a good job of making the line calls and a decent job of reading blitzes. I do have a feeling though that Baas will end up starting either at C or RG before the year is over on a full time basis.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Heitmann would be even worse at RG where u really need a big, strong, drive blocker. At least at Center, he does a good job of making the line calls and a decent job of reading blitzes. I do have a feeling though that Baas will end up starting either at C or RG before the year is over on a full time basis.

Heitmann was originally at guard and doing a pretty good job there until he was moved inside to Center because of injuries to some other guys I can't remember...Dalman, Newberry?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Heitmann was originally at guard and doing a pretty good job there until he was moved inside to Center because of injuries to some other guys I can't remember...Dalman, Newberry?

Newberry
Everyone thinks Baas did great but I saw some plays that were obvious he made the wrong protection call that resulted in an unblocked or nearly unblocked guy pressuring the QB. If I notice that, then it's REALLY obvious and that scares me.

I will say this though, I expected a couple of fumbled snaps based on the TC reports. I was very pleased not to see any of those.
I have to say he did a pretty good job as far as I could tell.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Everyone thinks Baas did great but I saw some plays that were obvious he made the wrong protection call that resulted in an unblocked or nearly unblocked guy pressuring the QB. If I notice that, then it's REALLY obvious and that scares me.

I will say this though, I expected a couple of fumbled snaps based on the TC reports. I was very pleased not to see any of those.

It was his first NFL career start at center, he wasn't going to be perfect. Overall I thought he played pretty well though.

It was his first NFL career start at center, he wasn't going to be perfect. Overall I thought he played pretty well though.

I'm not expecting him to be perfect. I just think the praise he's getting (see this thread + Tim K's blog) is unwarranted. He did do better than I expected but I'm still concerned for the regular season.

I'm not expecting him to be perfect. I just think the praise he's getting (see this thread + Tim K's blog) is unwarranted. He did do better than I expected but I'm still concerned for the regular season.

A couple more games in the pre-season and he should be fine, though opening AT Seattle will be tough for him and the whole O-Line as we know how loud that stadium can get.

A couple more games in the pre-season and he should be fine, though opening AT Seattle will be tough for him and the whole O-Line as we know how loud that stadium can get.

I hope you're right about the first part and wrong about the second.

Its projected adulation, after playing through preseason we should hopefully see a negligible difference with him at center. He's not going to the pro bowl from yesterdays performance but we know he can play the position with out it being a liability. Also if you go to MRobs Touchdown, you'll see why he got in. Baas was like a torpedo, laying a path through the colts defense.
Week one Heitman or Chilo should not be starters.
It seemed as though Baas didn't see the stunt coming but with the OL, especially the Guards and Tackle, it's difficult to see who is supposed to block who.

As for Run-Blocking: I loved it!!!! These guys were getting good 2 yard pushes.

Honestly, to this team, run blocking is more important than pass blocking as Gore is the key.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It seemed as though Baas didn't see the stunt coming but with the OL, especially the Guards and Tackle, it's difficult to see who is supposed to block who.

Honestly, to this team, run blocking is more important than pass blocking as Gore is the key.

Something Heitmann has not really been able to do since his leg injury in 06.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Something Heitmann has not really been able to do since his leg injury in 06.

It WAS nice to watch a game and not see the center of the O Line collapse.

Irrespective of all the admiration for Heitmann and his "new clothes" by the media, and by some on this board, I agree with you, Heitmann's play has been a problem since 06. Kudos to you for raising the issue, and supporting your position--while still considering the opinions of others who may not agree.

There have been numerous past instances of Heitmann getting pushed into the backfield, regular failures to get any push on short yardage plays. It was nice, on Sunday, to see that this wasn't happening for a change.

Heitmann's experience and knowledge of the game will be hard to replace, no doubt. There is still time to do so this preseason, IMHO.

The left side, Staley and Iupati, appear to be well on their way to "gelling," and playing well together.

With Heitmann out, there is less concern over the physical play at center. (Still concern over the mental aspect, the knowledge and experience Baas and/or Wragge bring to the pass protection calls, etc., but that's what coaches are for.)

Tho I'd never wish an injury on any Niner, Heitmann's brief absence may be a blessing in disguise if it forces the coaching staff to reevaluate the center position.

Now, if Rachal and A. Davis can progress on the right side, we may begin to see some improvement in the OL play. Or at least begin to better identify the problems and address them.

Clearly, the OL problems last year were caused by more than just Snyder at RT. IMHO.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 16, 2010 at 10:54:25 ]
Share 49ersWebzone