There are 239 users in the forums

Has Alex Smith proved to be the 49er's QB of the future?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Has Alex Smith proved to be the 49er's QB of the future?

• fryet
  • Veteran
Alex has shown some glimpses, but he has also played a lot of mediocre football. How much confidence do you have that he will be the 49ers QB for years to come?
Originally posted by fryet:
Alex has shown some glimpses, but he has also played a lot of mediocre football. How much confidence do you have that he will be the 49ers QB for years to come?

Well I know where you stand fryet.

At least you aren't saying NO. But One thing though you should have put one more.

"Dunno, but he seems to be on the right track. Let's see what he does with some protection"

Cause imho when he HAS time he is just as accurate as the top 10 in the league. But when he's forced out of the pocket and to throw the ball on the run it's 50/50. Which is better than he was before this season for sure.

But I think that I stand more with what I suggested than the 2nd one. I don't think that time is necessarily the answer. I think the time has all but run it's course. But now if he had PROTECTION we may be in for a hell of a ride. And that is something to build on.

~Ceadder
18 TDs and over 2000 yards in half a season without the benefit of training camp and being out for 2 and 1/2 years I think Smith did fine. I expect him to improve next year as he improves his timing with VD, Crabs, and Morgan. Add to that a better oline and I think the offense does much better.

Also, I think VD needs to work on his catching. He still has a bad case of stone hands.
I think there are some unfair expectations for Alex Smith. Alex Smith is working with young receivers and not much protection. The inconsistency is in all parts of the passing game, not just the QB. Next season I feel Crabtree will prove to be a go to receiver and if they address the OT problems of this year you will be able to truly judge how good Alex will become.
we should not waste another early pick on grooming a QB unless a true value drops to us.

This team can fill other holes and improve to a playoff team.
not even close ! unless we want to be 8-8 team ! we should move on cuz like that we are looking at another 5 years for him to have a good year !
Not yet, but he's young and he's shown at the very least, that he is capable of being a productive starter in the NFL. He overcame a lot this year. You got thrown into the mix in the middle of the season, with a new OC and a lousy Oline. Still, he played pretty well.

He's shown enough to allow us to ignore that position this offseason, IMO. The team/fans should feel pretty comfortable with us opening the season with Smith next season.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It might take all of 2010 to see if he's the guy or not. At the very least he's the best option we have. Let 2010 play out and then see what we have.
Watching him this year, it is clear he has improved alot. It also seems that he remains painfully incapable of consistently performing in the clutch (see 3rd down conversions for this year-29.8%, fourth worst). I still have hope, but I think it could go either way...would like to see Davis get lots of reps in the preseason.
Originally posted by mayo63:
It might take all of 2010 to see if he's the guy or not. At the very least he's the best option we have. Let 2010 play out and then see what we have.

Thats what i say. I think it's too early to talk about QB of the future. He signed a 2yr contract. So I say yes if we make it to the playoffs next year, and if we dont then they'll get rid of him IMHO.

He's done more than enough, and produced more stats in half a season, than he did in his first full season, so in no way can you say he's not made progress. I just think the future talk should come after next season.

Immediate future - Yes. There are zero QB's in free agency. Long term future NO
Holy crap another Alex thread???

Couldnt be I mean we do have the official Alex bandwagon thread....
Let Alex get a shot next year. But draft a QB on the first day. Take away VD's unreal season and alex would have looked terrible. Lowest Yards Per Pass of any QB not labeled a bum.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:
Let Alex get a shot next year. But draft a QB on the first day. Take away VD's unreal season and alex would have looked terrible. Lowest Yards Per Pass of any QB not labeled a bum.

That's like saying take away [insert big name receiver here] and [insert QB who throws to him] isn't that good. Ugh.
Originally posted by JBatta49erfansince81:

REally, now we are doing take away this, why not lets add in if the WR caught this, if this happened. Come on, give me a break, you look at yards per pass. But are you more concerned with that, or TD's s**t who cares if he threw for 2 yds per pass. If we score TD's isnt that most important. But maybe not tho. Just another issue, of if's.
Share 49ersWebzone