LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

Total team sacks ranking (tied for 3rd)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
With the possible exception of Brooks (to be determined) none of our guys beat their man one on one. All of our sacks are either scheme or coverage sacks. Thats why we got burned on so many screen plays.
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Nice post some say we only got sacks against weak teams. Didn't we get like 3 sacks against Minnesota and Indy, please confirm?

My favorite stat was 4th in the league in points allowed. Hell I don't care if we are 32nd in run and pass yards given up I will take 4th in points allowed any day of the week

In the Minnesota game we had two sacks and Minnesota had one. In the Indiannapolis game they had three sacks and we had three sacks. In the first Arizona game they had four sacks and we had three. In the second Arizona game we had four sacks, two interceptions and five fumbles recovered. In the Philadelphia game they had three sacks, three interceptions, and one fumble recovered, and we had two interceptions.

So we were very competitive against three play-off teams and did not do well against Philadelphia. So to me that is very good. So we did get pass rush against quality teams.

On the other hand we did not do well against some teams. In the Atlanta game, by far our worst loss we had no sacks but caused five fumbles of which we recovered only one, and we got one interception. Atlanta got three sacks, got one interception, and recovered two fumbles. So even in a loss we were still very active defensively but did not get sacks.

So there were many things going on in each game. Some games it did not go as well for us but overall the stats are not lieing. We got some interceptions, were very high in forced fumbles, and were third in sacks. That is an active defense. I also thought we were getting better as we neared the end of the season, especially with Goldson and Brooks finally figuring it out. So lots of good information about the defense.

Now we need better oline play and improved time of possession, third down conversions, and QB play. We need some speed on the offense, and another playmaker and we will be a dynamite team.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Maybe I spoke too soon without actually looking at teh games themselves, but here's what I got:

Arizona - 7 sacks (total 2 games)
Seattle - 5 sacks (total 2 games - 1st game only had 1 sack)
Minny - 2 sacks
St. Louis - 13 sacks (total 2 games)
Houston - 2 sacks
Indy - 3 sacks
Tennessee - 1 sack
Green Bay - 2 sacks
Jacksonville - 5.5 sacks
Detroit - 2 sacks

As you can see, those are the sack totals for the games. 10 teams, 13 games. In 3 games, we were held to 0 sacks. We racked up our sacks in BUNCHES, which to me shows inconsistency.

25 of our sacks came against our Division. We got 5.5 sacks against Jacksonville... meaning 69% of our sacks came against 4 teams. More than half of our sacks came in 5 games.

If we can get some consistency, this defense is scary. But until then, we're middle of the pack.

[ Edited by Ether on Jan 21, 2010 at 17:30:18 ]
Share 49ersWebzone