LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 407 users in the forums

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should Mike Singletary return as the Niners Head Coach?

Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
No.

Nice insight.

Anyway, yeah, he should return. With 1 full year under his belt, i'm sure he's learned a lot. As long as he improves on the things he needs to over the offseason and it shows next year, I don't see him leaving any sooner than after next year.

I'm with you. Lets not be like the Redskins. A new coach every 1 to 2 years.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
The man hasn't failed yet, and I doubt he will. He should be our coach for years to come. Nobody becomes a great head coach over night unless your handed a team that already has the pieces in place to succeed.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
PS - Singletary may have cost us the playoffs by his season switch to Smith as QB. I wonder how Hill would have fared if we had molded the offense to his strengths. The guy posted a winning record with an inept offense. Smith needed that same offense to be tweaked MULTIPLE times with the same oline, receivers, etc. before he could perform, and even with that.......he needs his defense to play big for success.

Couldve been preparing for the Pack/Boys at home right now.

I'll say this much, you've mastered what you're best at. You could probably find a way to take shots at Smith in any thread on any forum on the internet, sports related or not. Well done.
this is a useless thread.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
No.

Nice insight.

Anyway, yeah, he should return. With 1 full year under his belt, i'm sure he's learned a lot. As long as he improves on the things he needs to over the offseason and it shows next year, I don't see him leaving any sooner than after next year.

This is getting old weve been talking about this for a while and I have given my reason in the numerous threads on him
Originally posted by Allx9er:
this is a useless thread.

completely and utterly useless.
PS - Singletary may have cost us the playoffs by his season switch to Smith as QB. I wonder how Hill would have fared if we had molded the offense to his strengths. The guy posted a winning record with an inept offense. Smith needed that same offense to be tweaked MULTIPLE times with the same oline, receivers, etc. before he could perform, and even with that.......he needs his defense to play big for success.

Please don't spam "Alex Smith sucks" in every thread. Take it somewhere else.

Regarding the OP, yes I do think that Singletary should return as HC. The one move that I have questions about him is the PR/KR disaster. Otherwise, he's shown the ability to adapt the team whenever necessary in order to win.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Any HC that calls a Time Out before the first play of the game and waste all the teams TOs before the first quarter, leaving them no chance to challenge game changing refs calls, has no place in this league.

For a motivational speaker, why is it the Niners come out lifeless in the first half of games on several occassions? It's almost like two different teams between first and second halfs.

His Defense plays "lights out" one week only to be ghosts the following week.

Altering the offense to spread to help A Smith, might as well bench his best Offensive weapon in F Gore, as his presence is near non-existant with so many shot gun formations, and lack of touches. While power running game was not working going from one extreme to another is hardly the answer.

His ultra conservative approach with a tie or slight lead in games, esp games that aren't even in the 4th quarter is a recipe for disaster everytime, not to mention makes for a horriblly boring game to watch.

Lastly this teams record vs non NFC West teams and road games proformance has to get better if they ever expect to play a game past week 17.

I say NO to Singletary coming back next season, there are several big name HCs looking for work, Head coaches who have game time experience and know what to do in nearly every situation, why continue to have faith in a rookie HC, when there are lots of proven experienced guys available NOW!! (That list is shrinking by the day it's time to act before it's too late.

Some Niners fans here appear excited about a shot at a .500 record

Woot 8-8 wow Niners have arrived under Singletary, Other teams can go from 2-14 one season to playoffs in the following season yet here we are satisfied we beat our 7-9 record of 06?

I expect more

Im assuming you are talking about the Dolphins and Falcons but Im curious where are those teams now? Oh yeah the same boat we are in.
  • CSRKing21
  • Info N/A
it doesnt matter if people want him fired....cause Jed already has said him and Scott M are staying
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
You can't fire a guy after a possible 8-8 season which would be an improvement over the last season. It was his first full season as head coach and it would be dumb to fire him already.

I think we keep Sig and Jimmy , and draft some OL . this year wasn't tht bad of a year , we lost a few close games to top teams in the league . And Alex is showing some promise to .

Your a freakin idiot!
So do you guys believe that we should hire a new coach every year and fire them if they don't make the playoffs? It took Bill Walsh three years to make it to the playoffs and win a championship but he went 2-14 his first season and 6-10 the year after that....should we have fired him his first year??? NO....You cannot put all the blame on the coaching although Singletary needs some tweeking in that aspect he has been nothing but a positive influence on all the players and has brought the best out of many players a la Vernon Davis...I know many of you like myself want feel they've been waiting too long to our team in the playoffs but you must give Singletary time to get some missing pieces together...Atleast we are on the right path!! So relax and give the man a chance.....and also how would the moral of the team be effected if he was fired?? and I am sure Singletary's presence and coaching style will be effective at bringing over Big Name FA's because its rare to find a coach let alone a HALL OF FAME COACH that has such a connection to all his players.
Originally posted by 9erfreak:
Any HC that calls a Time Out before the first play of the game and waste all the teams TOs before the first quarter, leaving them no chance to challenge game changing refs calls, has no place in this league.

For a motivational speaker, why is it the Niners come out lifeless in the first half of games on several occassions? It's almost like two different teams between first and second halfs.

His Defense plays "lights out" one week only to be ghosts the following week.

Altering the offense to spread to help A Smith, might as well bench his best Offensive weapon in F Gore, as his presence is near non-existant with so many shot gun formations, and lack of touches. While power running game was not working going from one extreme to another is hardly the answer.

His ultra conservative approach with a tie or slight lead in games, esp games that aren't even in the 4th quarter is a recipe for disaster everytime, not to mention makes for a horriblly boring game to watch.

Lastly this teams record vs non NFC West teams and road games proformance has to get better if they ever expect to play a game past week 17.

I say NO to Singletary coming back next season, there are several big name HCs looking for work, Head coaches who have game time experience and know what to do in nearly every situation, why continue to have faith in a rookie HC, when there are lots of proven experienced guys available NOW!! (That list is shrinking by the day it's time to act before it's too late.

Some Niners fans here appear excited about a shot at a .500 record

Woot 8-8 wow Niners have arrived under Singletary, Other teams can go from 2-14 one season to playoffs in the following season yet here we are satisfied we beat our 7-9 record of 06?

I expect more

As a playre he improved each and every year. There is no reason that he won't continue that trend as the HC.
I like Singletary as our coach but I do think we need to get a new GM and OC. I'm okay with keeping Raye for one more year but he has to prove himself. If he doesn't i think he is gone after next.
Share 49ersWebzone