LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

The O-Line today...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
obviously was terrible, but ive noticed a trend. in all the snaps since Staley came back, our line has seemed to be swiss cheese. when Sims was playing LT, our line was getting it done on alot more snaps.

Staley is probably rusty, but i noticed when he left the game with his knee contusion today, and Sims slotted back into LT, Smith was getting more time to throw.

just a thought, maybe we try to slide Staley to RT next year and keep Sims in a position hes actually excelling at. if he comes back, move Baas to C, Heitmann to LG, and hopefully Rachal picks it up next season.

take a T with one of our 1sts next year, then maybe a G in the 2nd or 3rd. however we do it, we need a much better OL if we plan on winning any time soon. the OL play this season has been inexcusable. Adam Snyder needs to removed from the roster asap.
Our Oline has certainly sucked in general but I've noticed this too. Staley was always solid but he hasn't been the same since the injury, maybe hes just not fully healthy. Sims has played a lot better this year, particular on the left side (i think he was only on the right side last year). Blitz pickup and communication on the whole line and with the running backs seem to be a big part of the problem too. I think your proposition is something that might be worth a look in the off season.
Although I have absolutely no idea why you would put Bass at center. Wallace is a better option. But Hietmann has been the only reliable player on the line this year so I don't know why you would mess with the center position.
Yeah our offense was doing better with Sims at LT. Staley is our best OL when healthy, but he's not healthy right now.
Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:
Although I have absolutely no idea why you would put Bass at center. Wallace is a better option. But Hietmann has been the only reliable player on the line this year so I don't know why you would mess with the center position.

because Baas isnt hacking it at G. if we bring him back, whats he supposed to do? spend another year sucking at LG?

the only options are to switch him to RG and Rachal to LG and see if they like those sides better, or move Baas to C, which is a slightly easier position from a blocking standpoint, and put Heitmann back at G, where he was solid before Newberry got hurt

it comes down to Heitmann being good either way, and Baas needing to find a spot he fits in.
Originally posted by Niners99:

because Baas isnt hacking it at G. if we bring him back, whats he supposed to do? spend another year sucking at LG?

the only options are to switch him to RG and Rachal to LG and see if they like those sides better, or move Baas to C, which is a slightly easier position from a blocking standpoint, and put Heitmann back at G, where he was solid before Newberry got hurt

it comes down to Heitmann being good either way, and Baas needing to find a spot he fits in.

Maybe the lineman are playing out of position but I for one would love to see the 49ers get a quality OL coach for next year.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah our offense was doing better with Sims at LT. Staley is our best OL when healthy, but he's not healthy right now.

this
Originally posted by kezar49er:

Maybe the lineman are playing out of position but I for one would love to see the 49ers get a quality OL coach for next year.

Couldn't agree more. Forester and Sullivan are 3 of our worst coaches. Al Everest a close second
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Couldn't agree more. Forester and Sullivan are 3 of our worst coaches. Al Everest a close second

how is Everest bad?? hes fielded some of the best special teams units the 49ers have had in a long time.

we dont give up ST TD's very often, we NEVER have punts blocked, very rarely have kicks block, despite today since our newbie kicker cant get it over the pile.

the only part of our ST that isnt at least above average is KR/PR, and that isnt Everests fault at all. give him someone other that a bunch of backup WR's who have no idea what theyre doing.

come on dude, dont pretend to know about the quality of our position coaches based on stuff like bad returns.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran

ding ding ding ding, we have a winner..

it's the coaching that sucks.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:

how is Everest bad?? hes fielded some of the best special teams units the 49ers have had in a long time.

we dont give up ST TD's very often, we NEVER have punts blocked, very rarely have kicks block, despite today since our newbie kicker cant get it over the pile.

the only part of our ST that isnt at least above average is KR/PR, and that isnt Everests fault at all. give him someone other that a bunch of backup WR's who have no idea what theyre doing.

come on dude, dont pretend to know about the quality of our position coaches based on stuff like bad returns.

The same could be said for Larry Mac Duff. I think more than anything, Everest continued the status quo that Mac Duff established before he left for Texas.

Everest needs to do a better job at identifying the players that are capable of handling KR/PR duties though.

Once Carolina fires Fox, we should go for this guy:

http://www.panthers.com/team/coaches/jeff-davidson/6e7cfaff-c328-4e64-b08c-d3248bea5e13
Share 49ersWebzone