There are 274 users in the forums

Finally a comparison that nobody can dispute - Alex Smith vs Matt Stafford

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Megatron > B Lloyd

and who ever said your rookie year will determine how good you can be?

ok, how about 5 years of Tim Couch's stats being better than 5 years of Alex Smith stats??

How about we wait until this time in 2010

are you hiring? I want you to be my boss. I would love to have 6 years of laying goose eggs and have you still being patient with me.

So now it's 6 years? You're now blaming Smith for the year before he was in the league as well? He hasn't even been in the NFL for 6 years! This was year 5 in the NFL, and he really only has 2.5 years of playing time. This "He's been stinking it up for 5 years" crap is getting old. Go root for Detroit if you like their QB better and aren't willing to give ours a shot at a full off season with the same offense. Lets see how he does. He has improved a great deal, and if you can't see that, then you aren't paying attention.
Does he have room to go? Sure.
Has he lived up to his #1 pick status? No. That's why they renegotiated his contract.
Has he shown this year that he has a chance to be a good QB. YES
Did he play well enough to earn the starting spot for next year? YES
  • rob28
  • Veteran
If we had stafford we would be in the playoffs. Stafford>>>Smith.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Megatron > B Lloyd

ok, how about 5 years of Tim Couch's stats being better than 5 years of Alex Smith stats??

The big difference is that Smith has improved every year and not hit a wall.

Sorry to say mate, this thread is fail.

-9fA

this
Originally posted by rob28:
If we had stafford we would be in the playoffs. Stafford>>>Smith.

Maybe maybe not, but Stafford isn't on our roster. Peyton Manning is better too, but he's not an option for us is he? Smith is the best QB currently on the roster, and would give us a better chance to win and go to the playoffs next year than any possible replacement. Even if we take the best QB in the draft, he wouldn't be a better option to start NEXT YEAR than Smith. There will be no big time free agent QB's available. What do you suggest?
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
All of this comparison horses**t doesn't matter. Alex Smith has until the end of next season (when his contract is up) to prove to the 49ers Organization that he is the future, or he's gone. That's it. Everything else is worthless, fannish, dumbass bulls**t.

END OF NEXT SEASON! Hell no, its time to put a stop to this crap NOW! The fans should have stood up and got Nolan fired alot earlier than they did. Time to put on the pressure now for Alex Smith to be fired. He doesn't have it and never will. He should have come in on his shiny armor and his white horse to save the day with this second chance. He didn't and Shuan Hill would have done better. We sacrifcied the season to give Alex a second chance. No more! Let's buy/beg/steal or deal for a real QB.
Originally posted by 4JusticeNow:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
All of this comparison horses**t doesn't matter. Alex Smith has until the end of next season (when his contract is up) to prove to the 49ers Organization that he is the future, or he's gone. That's it. Everything else is worthless, fannish, dumbass bulls**t.

END OF NEXT SEASON! Hell no, its time to put a stop to this crap NOW! The fans should have stood up and got Nolan fired alot earlier than they did. Time to put on the pressure now for Alex Smith to be fired. He doesn't have it and never will. He should have come in on his shiny armor and his white horse to save the day with this second chance. He didn't and Shuan Hill would have done better. We sacrifcied the season to give Alex a second chance. No more! Let's buy/beg/steal or deal for a real QB.

Good luck with that.
Shaq is right on all counts.

But the point to the matter is of which he also allueded to is that Alex's boss is allowing him to lay goose eggs for 5-6 years and still give him a another chance.

Let's hope Alex makes the most of it and I'm rooting for him.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.

Today will be the 42nd game that Smith has ever PLAYED IN - not even started.

42 games < 5 years.

5 years = 80 games.

42/80 = .525

5 x .525 = 2.625 years.
mathew stafford is better, no doubt. but,.. the team smith was on was one of the worst i've ever seen. he's had #3 receivers as his #1 until antonio bryant came in and that didn't work out for long.
Megatron > B Lloyd

I wasn't aware Smith had 80 starts under his belt.

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.
41 career games played.

Today will be the 42nd game that Smith has ever PLAYED IN - not even started.

42 games < 5 years.

5 years = 80 games.

42/80 = .525

5 x .525 = 2.625 years.

I thought you did real estate law, not criminal defense law!

I think if we weren't all niner fans we wouldn't be so biased on this topic. 42 games is A LOT of games. It really is. Bottom line is, this kid is slow as molasses to learn, produces rookie results year after year, and with some exceptions.... plays his worst when it matters the most. It took him 40 games to have a 300 yard game? Come one, bro, take the goggles off.....
yay, lets post stats from 5 years ago and act as if they are in any way relevant!

He sucked his rookie year, so he must suck forever? Is that passing for logic these days?
Megatron > B Lloyd

How about we wait until this time in 2010

are you hiring? I want you to be my boss. I would love to have 6 years of laying goose eggs and have you still being patient with me.

Great, another metrosexual hater. Your comparison is incredibly stupid. Man, all rationale has left this place when it comes to Smith.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
yay, lets post stats from 5 years ago and act as if they are in any way relevant!

He sucked his rookie year, so he must suck forever? Is that passing for logic these days?

I agree, it is irrelevent at this point, but it closes the debate on his first year.

As for his performance to date, pick any QB with the same # of starts in the NFL in the last five years and draw a comparison and find one that makes Smith look good. I don't think you can. Smith's stats are Joey Harrington and Charlie Frye like in that span.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

I agree, it is irrelevent at this point, but it closes the debate on his first year.

As for his performance to date, pick any QB with the same # of starts in the NFL in the last five years and draw a comparison and find one that makes Smith look good. I don't think you can. Smith's stats are Joey Harrington and Charlie Frye like in that span.

Who cares about his history?

All that matters is how he's playing today. Again, I don't know where you're going with this...

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone