There are 173 users in the forums

It's Do or Die Time for McCloughan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
I stopped reading when I read "We'll know better after these next two games if MRob is our #2 Change of Pace Back." Our change of pace back??!! Are you insane. The only change in pace that he gives us at RB is a backwards pace.

Why even waste the time to reply then.So you can look like the Smart kid on the short yella school bus?

Now get back to the back and don't make a peep until you learn some manners.

~Ceadder

Mrob is not our change of pace back. He has shown since he got here that he isn't that person. What Mrob is, is our Special teams standout player, The captain of one of the better Special team units in football. Granted one missing a Kick Returner and Punt Returner but still one of the better Units in the NFL.
Originally posted by BigRon:
I stopped reading when I read "We'll know better after these next two games if MRob is our #2 Change of Pace Back." Our change of pace back??!! Are you insane. The only change in pace that he gives us at RB is a backwards pace.

Why even waste the time to reply then.So you can look like the Smart kid on the short yella school bus?

~Ceadder

Mrob is not our change of pace back. He has shown since he got here that he isn't that person. What Mrob is, is our Special teams standout player, The captain of one of the better Special team units in football. Granted one missing a Kick Returner and Punt Returner but still one of the better Units in the NFL.

I agree that he is good at special teams, but to say that we are using the next two games to see if he is our change of pace back is completely wrong. Like you said, he has shown since the day he got here that he is not a change of pace back.
Who cares about 75% of those signings?

Seriously, it only comes down to the big money signings. In that field he has been great.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
You should factor salary much more into the analysis. Giving him "F" grades for signing a bum who gets paid as a bum is unfair as far as how he is working with a salary cap and a 52 man roster.

He had to sign some of those WR's bc of how poor the WRs were when Lloyd was the "man". Our WR corps has improved a lot since IMO

Bingo!

It seems to me that all these grades that are given are based solely on on-field production and without any proper perspective as to the compensation that they received.

IMO, the only 'F' grade that I would give is to Jonas Jennings.

-9fA
Originally posted by GEEK:
2007 Free Agent Pick-Ups -
Aubrayo Franklin - NT / Grade: A+
Tully Banta-Cain - DE/LB / Grade: D
Darrell Jackson - WR (via trade) / Grade: F
Nate Clements - CB / grade: B-
Michael Lewis - S / Grade: A-
Ashley Lelie - WR / Grade: D

2008 Free Agent Pick Ups - McCloughan's first year as GM
Justin Smith - DT/DE / Grade: A+
J.T. O'Sullivan - QB / Grade: C
DeShaun Foster - RB / Grade: D
Isaac Bruce - WR / Grade: B
Bryant Johnson - WR / Grade: C (B for signing, D for failing to resign)
Allen Rossum - CB/ST / Grade: B
Takeo Spikes - ILB / Grade: A

2009 Free Agent Pick Ups -
Marvel Smith - OT (retired) / Grade: F
Tony Pashos - OT / Grade: C
Demetric Evans - DT/DE / Grade: F
Brandon Jones - WR / Grade: F
Keith Smith - DB / Grade: F
Matt Wilhem - LB / Grade: B

- Geek

I'll add that in 2006 McCloughan had two A's and a D with Walt Harris, Larry Allen and Jonas Jennings.

I'd agree with your grades for 2007 and 2008 for the most part, but not so much for 2009. Obviously Marvel Smith was a swing and a miss and Pashos was an obvious move once he became available. Reactionary? Yes. But it got done.

An F for Demetric Evans? I guess if we signed him for big $$ that would make sense, but he signed for back-up money, which is what he is. Also remember Ray McDonald was coming off of knee surgery and his availablity was uncertain.

Regardless of assistant GM Jerry Sullivan's opinion on Jones, it's too early to put a grade on this pick-up. When he was signed Bruce's future was uncertain and we had no idea that Crabtree would be sitting there at #10. By all accounts he was having a great camp before he broke his shoulder, then he got caught-up in a numbers game. I'll say grade incomplete for 2009 and re-visit in 2010.

In general I'd say 2010 is do or die for a lot of people in this franchise. But with the strong likelihood that there won't be a CBA in place thus restricting movement on FA's with less than six accrued seasons, we shouldn't expect much from the 2010 free agent class.
Originally posted by BigRon:

~Ceadder

I agree that he is good at special teams, but to say that we are using the next two games to see if he is our change of pace back is completely wrong. Like you said, he has shown since the day he got here that he is not a change of pace back.

Since the both of you are holding hands I'm just gonna address ya both right here.

I think that we can all agree that when it comes to the Offense MRob has been succinctly misused. Right?

So HOW IN THE F@K can you make ignorant comments like his change of pace is Backwards? When in FACT he RARELY gets his hands on the ball in the Offense. Are you kidding me? I'm not saying that he's a Super Star or will ever be one. I'm just saying that if he shows us something here then he may be THAT guy that we NEED.

You know I'm getting REAL tired of all the BS negative reactionary comments. You wanna be that way keep it to yourself.

I don't live in the clouds as it is. But dang that garbage just drags the mood around here right to the toilet.

I got NO problems with questioning talent. But you aren't questioning it. You're outright making statements that you have absolutely no facts to back up.

Oh and I have to say if you are pointing out that the times that he's gotten the ball and gone nowhere with it? Well the same thing happens to Frank, Moran AND our "2nd Stringer" why? Cause our Line can't be bothered to blow the Defense off the freakin ball that's why.

Exasperating!!!

~Ceadder
Nice Post, but you forgot to list the worst FA signing of all; Jonas Jennings. In terms of amount spent vs. productivity, this was the worst. I think the OL is the area in which McCloughan has failed the most, both in identifying new talent, and allowing existing talent to walk away without re-signing them.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
My guess is if the 49ers don't dramatically improve next season -- that will be "it" for Sir Scotty and his trusted sidekick Sire Singletary.

We've got a draft coming up where we have two first round picks -- middle round picks to be sure -- but still -- we have two picks in the first round.

Scotty has failed so far to conduct a draft where he consistently strikes gold in rounds 3-6. The gold standard, Bill Walsh, did this with Exlax like regularity. It's why we were so darn good for so darn long.

Still -- I don't think Jed will give Scotty that much time to turn it around. Remember, Eddie D's first hire as GM was pure disaster. He allowed Captain Bligh to decimate the Niners and trade away future draft picks for a washed up OJ Simpson.

After that failed experiment -- D struck gold by plucking Walsh away from Stanford and the rest is history.

I agree with everything except Jed. I dont think he is as in charge as we'd like him to be. Jed needs more influence by uncle Eddie D. in pulling the trigger.

That'd be pretty funny if Eddie D was vicariously running the team through Jed, then after we win two super bowls the truth is revealed.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Great post very insightful and thurough. I agree with you McClueless is horible at free agent signing and he is even worse in the draft.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Great post very insightful and thurough. I agree with you McClueless is horible at free agent signing and he is even worse in the draft.

Thanks.

To address some of the general points made about specific players:

D. Evans - Sure the contract size wasn't noteworthy, but if you plan to draft a 3-4 DE in the draft (RJF), why would you sign a vet to a 2 year deal? I don't see any reason why the 49ers should have 7 DL on the active roster in a 3-4 defense. For only 500k - 1 M more, you could have snagged Marques Douglas in free agency that would have played at a much higher level.

B. Jones - I admit it's a bit too early, but Scot McCloughan doesn't have a track record of success when it comes to acquiring WRs via trade or free agency. I stand by my assessment.

N. Clements - 2007 was Clements best year as a 49er. He made plays time and time again, including knocking the ball out of the WRs hands. After 2007, he only has had 3 INTs and 1 FF. He has not lived up to his contract, and we hardly see a difference in our secondary with Brown/Bly in the lineup. Again, this signing was a Nolan/McCloughan signing, but Scot deserves his share of blame for Clements.

---

I forgot to mention Dre Bly. I'd give him a B+ rating as he's performed fairly well with a very reasonable contract size.

I'll assess the draft tonight as well.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by GEEK:
2007 Free Agent Pick-Ups -
Aubrayo Franklin - NT / Grade: A+
Tully Banta-Cain - DE/LB / Grade: D
Darrell Jackson - WR (via trade) / Grade: F
Nate Clements - CB / grade: B-
Michael Lewis - S / Grade: A-
Ashley Lelie - WR / Grade: D

2008 Free Agent Pick Ups - McCloughan's first year as GM
Justin Smith - DT/DE / Grade: A+
J.T. O'Sullivan - QB / Grade: C
DeShaun Foster - RB / Grade: D
Isaac Bruce - WR / Grade: B
Bryant Johnson - WR / Grade: C (B for signing, D for failing to resign)
Allen Rossum - CB/ST / Grade: B
Takeo Spikes - ILB / Grade: A

2009 Free Agent Pick Ups -
Marvel Smith - OT (retired) / Grade: F
Tony Pashos - OT / Grade: C
Demetric Evans - DT/DE / Grade: F
Brandon Jones - WR / Grade: F
Keith Smith - DB / Grade: F
Matt Wilhem - LB / Grade: B

- Geek

I'll add that in 2006 McCloughan had two A's and a D with Walt Harris, Larry Allen and Jonas Jennings.

I'd agree with your grades for 2007 and 2008 for the most part, but not so much for 2009. Obviously Marvel Smith was a swing and a miss and Pashos was an obvious move once he became available. Reactionary? Yes. But it got done.

An F for Demetric Evans? I guess if we signed him for big $$ that would make sense, but he signed for back-up money, which is what he is. Also remember Ray McDonald was coming off of knee surgery and his availablity was uncertain.

Regardless of assistant GM Jerry Sullivan's opinion on Jones, it's too early to put a grade on this pick-up. When he was signed Bruce's future was uncertain and we had no idea that Crabtree would be sitting there at #10. By all accounts he was having a great camp before he broke his shoulder, then he got caught-up in a numbers game. I'll say grade incomplete for 2009 and re-visit in 2010.

In general I'd say 2010 is do or die for a lot of people in this franchise. But with the strong likelihood that there won't be a CBA in place thus restricting movement on FA's with less than six accrued seasons, we shouldn't expect much from the 2010 free agent class.

2006 was pure Nolan IMO, and I didn't take into consideration that off-season.
Originally posted by susweel:

What about the draft day, off season and in season trades.
  • Nyner
With an improved OC we would win more games and u wouldn't be after McCloughans scalp. We are really weak in that area and should (but probably won't) do anything about it this off season, because " Sing likes the way Raye is willing to change". Sure why not, what he's doing isn't working. It's going to be slim pick'ns on Offense for some time boys.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nyner:
With an improved OC we would win more games and u wouldn't be after McCloughans scalp. We are really weak in that area and should (but probably won't) do anything about it this off season, because " Sing likes the way Raye is willing to change". Sure why not, what he's doing isn't working. It's going to be slim pick'ns on Offense for some time boys.

Complete bulls**t.

McCloughan supported the decision to hire Raye, and gave Singletary the power to hire his own coaching staff.

The OC problem is equally attributed to the head coaches decision to hire as its to the GM decision to allow the hire.

BTW - I love how we are trying to run Turner's offense when we have a GM that has most of his experience recruiting for WCO talent (Seattle, Green Bay).
Nate Clement deserves a bad grade here. Before everyone gets on my case these are the factors I am looking at: Contract size + production.

His contract was the largest defensive signing at the time. As GEEK has said, his first year was his best here, and since then he has disappeared. He plays receivers about 10 yards off the LOS because of his fear of getting absolutely BURNED downfield. Need proof? Watch TO vs. him in 2008. Watch Roddy White vs. him in 2009. And for those of you who say "Oh, he gambled on the play so that's why White got behind him." I think that's complete garbage. NC gambles and misses about 50% of the time, and when he succeeds it's only a break-up or most likely a short gain, considering he has barely any picks. Furthermore, I would be afraid to see NC vs. Desean Jackson in that Philly game. Watching DJ burn the younger, more athletic Shawntae Spencer made me think he could've just ran go routes all day (especially with M. Lewis in coverage over the top -- not really his specialty.)

I give Nate Clements a C grade considering his on-field production combined with contract. To have one good year and then really just fade away is not what we wanted. We signed him to change the games! To make the big play! He did a few times, yes -- but more often than not he was not there to break up the pass or stop the slant or play physical press coverage (I thought that was his specialty when he was signed??)

Sorry I rambled a little, but I cannot see why everyone jocks Clements. If he gets moved to safety and tears it up I will re-consider.
Share 49ersWebzone