There are 229 users in the forums

Justin Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Using the above system to assess our players, J. Smith is clearly the cream of the 3-4 DE crop. He is by far the highest rated player.

On the other hand A. Franklin is middle of the range for DT/NTs. and Sop is near the bottom as compared to J. Smith.

On the CBs assessment our backfield is poor especially compared to the cream of the crop of D. Revies and Cromartie.

So we have our work cut out for us. Our run defense is good, pass defense is poor. J. Smith is great and I hope he gets to go to the probowl.

So in otherwords our secondary is swiss cheese. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
It is interesting to look at statistics. Our run defense is good, our pass defense is swiss cheese, and our scoring defense is good. So we are pretty close to being a high quality defense. Our pass rush needs to be better, our backfield needs to be better, our run defense is pretty good. We are a player to three away from a top five defense.

It is clear that Clements makes the defense function better, better tackling and better run defense. But we need more speed and better coverage in the backfield. The most simplistic, but maybe not the most realistic solution is to move Goldson to SS, Clements to FS, and get a good draftpick, or a quality FA CB during the off season.

The second part is to get another J. Smith on the other side of the Dline to facilitate the pass rush. So that could be Balmer, or a Draft pick, or a FA. D. Evans is not going to be the DE we need. RJF may be that DE but time will tell. Perhaps we will end up with Dunlap. But two J. Smiths on our Dline would be fantastic.

We also have to decide whether Franklin is our NT or do we need a rookie to come in and be that NT for us? Franklin has definitely made us a good run defense but it would be nice if he could be more of a contributor on the pass defense side.

LB is an interesting section of our defense. Willis is great. Spikes is #10 on the 3-4 ILB list. Harolson as been a disappointment to me this year. His productivity has not been like last year. Now whether Brooks and Briggs will develop remains to be seen. We have seen some improvement on Brooks and if he continues to develop we may have the answer to the OLB pass rush issue, but he still needs work on his overall game. Lawson is an puzzle. He is doing very well on run containment but pass rush is still poor. So another OLB pass rusher would be really helpful.

So in conclusion we need the following players:
1. CB/FS/SS to put some speed and coverage in our backfield
2. DE to compare to J. Smith
3. Resign Franklin or get a replacement.
4. Need an ILB to backup Spikes with speed and good tackling to mirror Willis. We can also use a good all around pass rushing OLB

So that is about 3-5 defensive players in this off season.
Isaac Sopoaga have the rank 34th..... I knew it.. he was still suck!
Using the above system to assess our players, J. Smith is clearly the cream of the 3-4 DE crop. He is by far the highest rated player.

On the other hand A. Franklin is middle of the range for DT/NTs. and Sop is near the bottom as compared to J. Smith.

On the CBs assessment our backfield is poor especially compared to the cream of the crop of D. Revies and Cromartie.

So we have our work cut out for us. Our run defense is good, pass defense is poor. J. Smith is great and I hope he gets to go to the probowl.
Draft a first round corner and move Bly or Clements to F.S. and are secondary looks a lot better.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
You create the post but you want everyone else to do the research. OK!

by "doing the research" you mean "clicking the link and looking at whats in front of your face"?

heres a hint, his name is at the top of the page.

Agree, Justin Smith should get to the probowl
J. Smith goes beastmode 100% of the snaps on defense.

I'm excited to watch him live on Sunday
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
what most people don't understand is that being a 3-4 DL is a thankless job. You're lucky to ever get a sack.
The LB's should be the ones racking them up.
but they dont whats wrong with this picture
One man wrecking crew on the dline today.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Defensive work horse, I'm glad he's on our team.

how the f**k didn't he make the probowl? he is top in sacks from 3-4 DE, top in QB pressures, and is one of the best run stuffer's in the league!

this is beyond me, i'm going to write him an appreciation email, which i hope he gets to read, he has become one of my favorite niners; i was so excited when we signed him.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
how the f**k didn't he make the probowl? he is top in sacks from 3-4 DE, top in QB pressures, and is one of the best run stuffer's in the league!

this is beyond me, i'm going to write him an appreciation email, which i hope he gets to read, he has become one of my favorite niners; i was so excited when we signed him.

It's all about flash and who can talk the most! He needs to do celebration moves every time he makes plays. Maybe he may get recognize.
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

It's all about flash and who can talk the most! He needs to do celebration moves every time he makes plays. Maybe he may get recognize.

he had that one celebration where he was pretending to take a hammer and put nails in the coffin, that was bad ass.
Justin Smith is epic. Everytime the niners need a clutch sack or pressure he is the one making it. Great player nice signing.
They paid this guy a lot of money and he's been worth every penny.
Share 49ersWebzone