There are 194 users in the forums

The refs find a way to screw us again

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Every teams fan bases feel the same. They human they screw up. If you watch that play Manny was just standing there instead of trying to pull Wells backwards when Wells was making his second push. I was glad they didn't give Howlings that td late when he fell just short of the goal line then Willis hit him. i didn't think they had any reviews left, and at that time the clock wasn't under 2 minutes. Refs make calls to screw every team every game. You just have to be good enough to overcome bad calls point blank.

Agree. We need to start overcoming more bad calls & win games & we will get more calls in our favor.
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Originally posted by MadMartz:
So im watching Sports Center right now and they show Zonas Lone TD from Wells. I missed it at the time but the clock hit double zeros before they snapped the ball. Trent Dilfer says the play should have never counted.

Why do we always get screwed by the refs?

sorry to say it wasn't a blown call
as mike pereira explained in one of his referees review on NFLN last year, when the clock goes to 00 the refs then take a look at the center and if he has not snapped the ball then it's a penalty. Here warner just make the snap a few tens of a second after 00 so when the ref looked at the center he just snapped the ball
No flags !

The back judge can see the clock and the center in the same view!
was i the only one that noticed that the play clock expired on that 4th and goal from the 1 for AZ? right before Wells ran it in to make it 9-17, the clock hit zero clearly before it was snapped. nobody said anything, no challenge, nothing.

im just wondering if the ESPN on screen clock was correct or what. obviously it doesnt matter, but i wouldve liked to have held the cards to just 3 pts
Originally posted by Niners99:
was i the only one that noticed that the play clock expired on that 4th and goal from the 1 for AZ? right before Wells ran it in to make it 9-17, the clock hit zero clearly before it was snapped. nobody said anything, no challenge, nothing.

im just wondering if the ESPN on screen clock was correct or what. obviously it doesnt matter, but i wouldve liked to have held the cards to just 3 pts

No because if it was, it would have been called by fluke, like the rest of the game

[ Edited by King49er on Dec 16, 2009 at 00:19:35 ]
IIRC Dilfer on NFL live or someone else on one of those shows mentioned that today. But we won so it wasn't a big deal.
Yep, it did appear to expire on the ESPN clock. But we won...

Need to 'save up' these bad calls (Bly TD another one) and deploy them against Philly
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Anyone who watched the post game show highlight saw it. Was pretty clear and I’m sure will be on the list of screw ups sent to the league for review.
Originally posted by London9er:

Need to 'save up' these bad calls (Bly TD another one) and deploy them against Philly

That really pi**ed me off that Bly didn't get that TD. He clearly picked up the fumble and ran it in. My grandmother could have made that call...... The ref's screwed up that whole play.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by London9er:

That really pi**ed me off that Bly didn't get that TD. He clearly picked up the fumble and ran it in. My grandmother could have made that call...... The ref's screwed up that whole play.

Well they blew the whistle so thats why they didn't call it a TD for us. If they would have let the play play out then yes it would have been overturned and we would have got the TD.
Originally posted by Niners99:

This is really digging it up to try and make a thread .......

The rule is if the whistle is blown dead before the play is actually over, you can challenge the turnover but you can't advance the ball. It's in the rule book. Yes I believe that more often than not, the refs blow a play dead to early but I think it's to help cut down on injuries. Us fans hate it of course.
So im watching Sports Center right now and they show Zonas Lone TD from Wells. I missed it at the time but the clock hit double zeros before they snapped the ball. Trent Dilfer says the play should have never counted.

as mike pereira explained in one of his referees review on NFLN last year, when the clock goes to 00 the refs then take a look at the center and if he has not snapped the ball then it's a penalty. Here warner just make the snap a few tens of a second after 00 so when the ref looked at the center he just snapped the ball
No flags !

before saying anything that could look stupid just take a look at the mike pereira show (eg go to NFL.com and hit the search button) take a look at his show and explanations then MAYBE you'll understand what i meant
i made a thread about this also. its partially our fault for not catching it.

i noticed it right away watching the game, but i cant beleive the niners dont have a designated play clock watcher to make sure of those kinds of things. every teams sideline should have a guy who watches the playclock on every play, and a guy who specializes in clock management to help the coach strategize.

No flags !

before saying anything that could look stupid just take a look at the mike pereira show (eg go to NFL.com and hit the search button) take a look at his show and explanations then MAYBE you'll understand what i meant

I dont care what Pereira says. That guys job is to make excuses...

If you cant see the clock and the center in the same line of site then you should be fired.

No flags !

I dont care what Pereira says. That guys job is to make excuses...

If you cant see the clock and the center in the same line of site then you should be fired.

you don't care ? well then don't try to understand why they didn't call the penalty ...
By the way if it's hard to find the search button i did it for you
here
The explanation is quite clear ! You may not agree with what he is saying (and i agree this guy's job is to make us believe in santa claus) but as long as the refs are consistent with it then i believe it's the truth. In the video linked he even admits in that particular game (ravens) that the ref should have spotted the clock then the snap quicker. But they usually give a few tens of a second after the 00 ...
So in the MNF game i stand with what i said
Share 49ersWebzone