LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

THE SACKS ARE NOT MISLEADING

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tmg808:
Originally posted by taney71:
Not misleading but doesn't tell the full story.

Ryan Clark of the Steelers just said it best about his own team which is the same problem the 49ers have. They do not show the urgency when the clock runs down as there opponent.

- Lost on last second pass against Vikings
- Threw an interception with 1:40 left to lose to the Texans
- Couldn't get the Colts, Titans, or Packers off the field at the end of the game.
- Fumbled at the end of the game, gave up last second FG against Seahawks

6 of the 7 losses have came to the last possession of the game with a reasonable amount of time left.
i agree with this post 100%
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Ryan Clark of the Steelers just said it best about his own team which is the same problem the 49ers have. They do not show the urgency when the clock runs down as there opponent.

- Couldn't get the Colts, Titans, or Packers off the field at the end of the game.

6 of the 7 losses have came to the last possession of the game with a reasonable amount of time left.

I don't agree with it.

It has nothing to do with urgency. I don't see our team lolly gagging around at the end of games. We just screw it up in many different ways and that is characteristic of a young team and will get better over time.
THE CLOWN HAS NO PENIS
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

I don't agree with it.

It has nothing to do with urgency. I don't see our team lolly gagging around at the end of games. We just screw it up in many different ways and that is characteristic of a young team and will get better over time.

I am not saying lolly gagging but just playing at the same level. Not taking it up another notch, playing with a high intensity, a high focus. It is the sign of a young time, because its learning to have that high intensity and high focus on every play..
Ummmm I been noticing that when our Pass Rush is there (as in SEVERAL of these games) the other team starts grabbin anything they can to keep our Front from cracking into the backfield. And RARELY does the Ref Corps call the penalty on such things.

But I digress. I find it hysterical that we still have the nay sayers, the negative nancys' and the doubting thomas' making the claim that we don't have a pass Rush.

Did you NOT see the last game? The announcer the ex Lineman(don't remember who it was other than that) stated that we DID create pressure. But the ball was gone before they could get to Hasselbeck. What sucks is we HAD pressure and the OLine stood us up by holding. And they had what TWO freakin penalties? Pathetic.

I think they even pointed out a couple of instances in the booth. But after awhile it just wore down our guys who were playin their asses off.

~Ceadder
No, the problem is NOT JUST the secondary, its the OFFENSIVE LINE...IT ALL STARTs with the OL...You get TOP, wear down the opponent in 4th Q, keep the defense fresh, minimize other teams offensive plays, protect our QB, open up running lanes...Frankly, our RT, and starting guards have not done an adequate job and either need to be replaced or released. Im still not happy with our OL as this should have been the first thing to remedy. Not that we havent tried to improve with Jonas Jennings, Marvel Smith, Tony Pashos, Larry Allen unfortunately, every one of those OL were at the end of their careers regardless...

I do agree that our secondary needs more speed and playmaking ability. Dashon Goldston is his first year starting so he will improve, but M.Lewis is a liability in pass coverage and Mark Roman is garbage all around. We need to convert Nate Clements to either FS or SS and draft another great CB with more speed and size. Maybe in the third or later rounds try and get that impact FS/SS that is not just the enforcer but another ball hawk in the backfield. COmbine that with a true WILL LB and another great DE/DT on the line that can pin their ears back and there you go...

[ Edited by Ninerwinner on Dec 11, 2009 at 10:52:28 ]
I thought Goldson was doing a good job, check this stat out, from Dan Brown:

Dan Brown: Ok, I'm back. According to Stats, Inc. safety Dashon Goldson has had to defend 45 throws -- and has allowed catches on 30 of them. Three of the catches were for TDs. That 66.7 conversion rate against him ranks among the worst in the league. So, yes, an upgrade is needed. Based on where the 49ers might be drafting, I think Mays could be worth a look. Friday December 11, 2009 10:35 Dan Brown

Aint that some s**t fellas...
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
They play timid on 3rd down.

I think the secondary plays timid because the coaches have no confidence to tell them to play aggressive. There hasn't been a lot of huge plays given up this year but it seems like teams always make the play they need to.

I agree. Brown got benched for saying that the coaches wanted him to play soft.
  • Mex49

that my friend is a coaching issue.

"we are not a charity"
Disagree...our guys still have too many games where the pressure is all but non-existent. Sacks are fine...so are hits...but consistent pressure forces QB's to get rid of the ball before they want to, giving the defense a better chance to make a play. This is especially true at the end of games...like in Seattle. When they really needed to, they couldn't get to Hasselback...and it cost us the game. Getting back to sacks, when your team leader has 5.5, that's not a good sign. By all means, it's an area that still needs considerable improvement. We lack that stud other teams have to account for...just about all the best defenses have guys like that.

Originally posted by leolion:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
They play timid on 3rd down.

I think the secondary plays timid because the coaches have no confidence to tell them to play aggressive. There hasn't been a lot of huge plays given up this year but it seems like teams always make the play they need to.

I agree. Brown got benched for saying that the coaches wanted him to play soft.

he said that?
  • tmg808
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Mex49:

that my friend is a coaching issue.

"we are not a charity"

Your coach shouldn't have to tell you , you need to pick it up, the games on the line. How does that become a coaching issue?? I don't get it??
Originally posted by RonMexico:
THE CLOWN HAS NO PENIS

You a clown penis inspector Ron?
Its not really our pass rush when you take into consideration our pass defense in the secondary sucks. No shutdown playmakers in the secondary to warrant a consistant pass rush with 7 or 8men rush. In fairness the rush have done fairly well when only 4-5 are rushing the q/b. Just think how bad we would really look if we are rushing more players all the time with what we have now. Its fair to say although not perfect I give our sacks earned and pass rush a c+ or a b-. Just my humble opinion tho'.
Share 49ersWebzone