LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 413 users in the forums

Rational discussion of the loss

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I won't pin the loss on any one player in particular it wasn't "on frank cuz he fumbled" or "on VD for not catching that one pass." Today's loss was a collective failure by our team.

There were too many mistakes to put the game on just one person or one play. Singletary used his TOs poorly to start the game, we had a TON of drops, the offense couldn't convert a 3rd down, we didn't have good ball security, and some play calling was terrible.

Overall we had no business winning this game. We did coming into it since we are the better team talent wise imo, but with execution like that in all facets of the game, you don't deserve to win.

I agree with ZF in another thread that we shouldn't focus on long term improvement anymore, we need to get impact players in the draft and FA and get ourselves over the hump NOW.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
I won't pin the loss on any one player in particular it wasn't "on frank cuz he fumbled" or "on VD for not catching that one pass." Today's loss was a collective failure by our team.

There were too many mistakes to put the game on just one person or one play. Singletary used his TOs poorly to start the game, we had a TON of drops, the offense couldn't convert a 3rd down, we didn't have good ball security, and some play calling was terrible.

Overall we had no business winning this game. We did coming into it since we are the better team talent wise imo, but with execution like that in all facets of the game, you don't deserve to win.

I agree with ZF in another thread that we shouldn't focus on long term improvement anymore, we need to get impact players in the draft and FA and get ourselves over the hump NOW.

Good luck with any rational discussion. Hell.. some people want to blame Alex for this loss if you can believe that. The play calling was shaky but the biggest reason for the loss was all of the drops.
Rationally our coaches suck nuff said.
"Rational discussion of the loss" will most likely be postponed until monday or tuesday, as the pain of the loss is to great!
Originally posted by kstolai:

Rationally we're young in all fazes of the game, including coaching. Chin up guys. The future looks bright and all these mistakes are correctable.
  • Veteran

So true.
Drops, fumbles, and poor clock management were why we lost. We all know this, but the question is what are we going to do now?
Rationally, our team as a whole sucked. End of discussion.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

Rationally we're young in all fazes of the game, including coaching. Chin up guys. The future looks bright and all these mistakes are correctable.

Check our average age... we are not that young anymore that excuse is sooo 2008
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Hard to be Rational when UR drunk & angry.

Mental errors, and the inability to make a play on defence when it matters ( once again) have cost us the game.

We had some sacks on Hasslebeck in the first half in the second that did not happen.
I agree. This was a whole team effort of mistakes that ultimately lead to the loss. Numerous times we had the chances to build a comfortable lead, but failed to do so.

-VD/Crabs/Delanie dropping passes, and TD passes.
-Gore fumbling. That was a killer of our moment on a driving offense starting from the 2 yard line.
-Alex Smith and the offense failing to convert on TD passes.
-Coaches and some sketchy play calling and time management.
-Special teams turning it over and giving the opponent a go ahead score yet again.

I can go on, but it sickens my stomach.
  • Sulla
  • Veteran
We're still playing like a young team with costly drops and poor communication. We're stuck in a threshold that teams like the Jaguars and Texans are in - mediocrity, teams that have stellar games, but simply disappear in the following game, and don't manage to grab their opponents by the horns and finish the game. We've got to wake up and get some consistency. Today, it were the costly drops and penalties that I felt killed us.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Good luck with any rational discussion. Hell.. some people want to blame Alex for this loss if you can believe that. The play calling was shaky but the biggest reason for the loss was all of the drops.

well after 10 posts you have been proven right. I suppose I overestimate the intellectual capabilities of this board.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
"Rational discussion of the loss" will most likely be postponed until monday or tuesday, as the pain of the loss is to great!

this
Share 49ersWebzone