There are 195 users in the forums

Is it truly garbage time when Alex thrived???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Alex Smith has had 5 years to be learn how to win games. He is not a winner. Time to move on.

I agree. They should've put Smith out there on defense. He would've stopped Grant. Also, I don't know if you heard yet, but it was Smith that decided to waste a timeout and challenge that 2nd-down run in a futile attempt to push them back 6 more inches.

More reasons as to why Smith isn't a winner...

He keeps sacking himself repeatedly. Is it too much to ask to block 4 defensive linemen, then drop back to pass and find the open guy?

He keeps hiring new OCs every single year. I don't know why he keeps doing this.

He keeps missing tackles on screen passes. For some reason, we suck against the screen pass, and a big part of that is because he doesn't arm tackle.

He knows that he functions well in a spread-type offense, but for some reason, he keeps calling his own plays and doesn't put himself in that offense. It's strange. He only starts using the spread-type offense in the 2nd half of games.

Lastly, when there's nobody open, he can't just magically find the open guy before he gets sacked, even if, like I said, there's nobody open.

I'm getting tired of the Smith hate. Look, he isn't a great QB, but on this team, there's PLENTY of blame to go around. You can start at the top. Singletary and Raye are looking like two GIECO cavemen right about now. The OL is looking like a bunch of Girl Scouts. Scratch that...Girl Scouts have more passion and pride than this unit.

This team is a total mess right now, including the QB position, but that position gets FAR too much blame. There's a reason why Hill looked even worse than Smith out there, and there's a reason why Davis will look equally bad.

I agree! I don't understand how Sing/Raye don't understand that Smith operates best in the shotgun spread. He sees the field better and has an extra half second to account for our HORRIBLE offensive line to find an open receiver. I feel like Sing and Raye are trying to push the pro system on him when obviously it doesn't work, and they have yet to use the system he is most comfortable -- and looks best in -- for an entire game.

Jimmy Raye needs to game plan out of this spread shotgun style -- he can use his pathetic draw plays and they will WORK if we set it up by *gasp* using the PASS! I'm sick of his bulls**t give up plays like at the end of the half after the sack when he runs a white flag draw and then a surrender bubble screen.
COMPLETELY AGREE!!! Smith is never going to be the answer at QB. They will draft a QB with one of their first three picks next year. If you dod not see that you are stoned. No way Singletary is going to tie himself to a QB who was not his pick. He will let Smith, Davis and ? battle it out next year.
Originally posted by DaNiners:
COMPLETELY AGREE!!! Smith is never going to be the answer at QB. They will draft a QB with one of their first three picks next year. If you dod not see that you are stoned. No way Singletary is going to tie himself to a QB who was not his pick. He will let Smith, Davis and ? battle it out next year.

Well, hopefully not. Because we need a good OT and that will have to be a high pick. A really high pick. And we need pass rush and that will have to be a high pick as well. And we need a starting guard to replace Baas and another to push Rachal and a safety and a kick returner and a rb to support Gore.

All of which is do-able but not if you waste a high pick on one of the suspect prospects that are coming out next spring. Let's get a line first.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
This thread will go no where at the end all that matters is WINS and Alexandra does not know how!

You want Jay Cutler as our QB
Your opinion does not matter
It was definitely not garbage time. Once Alex started to line up in the Shotgun, their blitzes were less effective. We did give up one quick sack, but other than that, Smith had enough time to get rid of the ball, forcing GB to drop more defenders into coverage.
Yesterday's first half was not entirely Smith's fault. The offense was flat to include smith. Gore was running hard and a couple of lineman had decent first halves. But the niners are still playing without who they thought would be starting at both tackle positions. Alex does have some blame in the first half but it was probably more of a collective effort and not so much that everybody else was playing well and Alex sucked alone. Alex suckiness had company.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Nah the Pack was still bringing pressure and they were trying to run up the score. Billick specifically said that Capers doesn't believe in the prevent defense BS. Billick is a defensive guy who knows what he's talking about, I'd trust what he says.

Billick is an offensive guru bro!

They were not trying to run up the score they played real conservative in the 2nd half.

Really , I love all you guys who "Know" what is going on by watching the game on TV , and know X's and O's it's pure comedy. On the radio Plummer was drooling at the thought of playing in a defense that once they have the lead they get after it. So they let the 9ers get within a td of winning ? as a favor to Smith?
Had there been 5 minutes left in the game and the Packers up by 21+ and Alex led a TD scoring drive, that's garbage time. Being down 20 at halftime and putting up points in the second half is not garbage time.

I'm more disappointed in the tackling, or lack thereof, by the defense on multiple plays where multiple guys had a chance to make a stop.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Nah the Pack was still bringing pressure and they were trying to run up the score. Billick specifically said that Capers doesn't believe in the prevent defense BS. Billick is a defensive guy who knows what he's talking about, I'd trust what he says.

Exactly, some of ya'll stop makin s**t up. it was clearly visible they didn't let up on anything, big bill, the announcers, and a few other, besides us fans said the same thing. Niners switched up the playcalling in the secnd half which led to 3tds. Even Matt b said, normally that would be more than enough for a qb to win the game. Just not in our case cuz the D got spanked and made the worst oline in the league look like the best. Even the announcers said it's the best They played all season.

I got a question for all the smith haters. Let's say like you all hate, he does suck. Tell me why is it that after we started to play teams outside our division and teams that ain't afraid to hit us in the mouth, why does it look like bad offensive teams have their best games against our D.
Sometimes I hate being associated with other niner fans. We all want this team to win, but some people like to use fact and logic while others like to call them Alexcuses. Nobody that is on Smith's side claims that he will be great, but everybody on Smith's side can see that he is not the big problem with this team.

The offensive blame has to point mostly to our stubborn coaches and their philosophy being forced on the players. You would think that Niner fans should recognize this just based off the difference in the defence once Mike Nolan left and the "Big Nickel" wasnt being forced on the players.

Singletary is doing the same exact thing to the offense. He is trying to force a running game like the Giants have on a team that is more suited to play like the Chargers. This team is built EXACTLY like the Chargers, but with a few missing pieces. Alex Smith has shown that in a spread passing game, he can produce. Say it is against a soft defense if you will, but the spread-style offense forces a defense to make those changes. Our WRs are big and fast, our TE is big and fast, our RB is almost as good as it gets as an all-purpose back in that he can catch, block, and run between tackles.

There is a reason why it has always been said that "Good coaches coach to their players' strengths". Singletary has done ok with this on the defensive side, but the offense is clearly being mishandled, and until he and Raye adjust, you cant put all the blame on Smith.

I post this in the QB 2010 thread but it seems to apply here aswell.

There are basically 3 different types of 49ers fans in regard to Alex Smith

1- Every bad play is Alex’s fault. Everything good play is because of someone else, and would have been a lot better if Alex hadn’t screwed it up

2- Alex has had enough time and hasn’t shown that he’s got what it takes to be a winner in the NFL. Let’s cut ties and move on.

3- Alex has had the worst set of circumstances a young QB could have for his first few years. He is 25 and still could be a good NFL QB.

2&3 are rational stances in the discussion of Alex Smith. IMO most of the board has one of these two opinions

1 is made up of crazy, crazy people that stir the pot and keep the rest of us on our toes with their mindless post.
[ Edited by jta854 on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:08 AM ]
Originally posted by nflguy49:
During the game Billick said Mike McCarthy and Greg Manusky coached together with the Niners before McCarthy was hired as Packers coach. So I take his comments on the Packers defense with a grain of salt.

I was wondering if anyone else caught that.

He kept calling McCathry McCartney. He called him Mark McCartney at one point too.
A mix. As you can see, in the first half, Alex had -7 yards.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
I don't know but he could do nothing in the first half leading to a tired D...

"The Packers more than doubled the 49ers' time of possession, 41:39 to 18:21. The reason? The Packers managed 26 first downs to San Francisco's 10"

When you can't get first downs and sustain drives consistently this is the obvious result. I am upset too I wish we could win some games and find our QB of the future ASAP.

The same goes for the defense. If you can't get off the field and force your opponent to punt it's obvious that it will result in a score. I am upset at our playcalling and offensive line we need to address that ASAP
Originally posted by jta854:
I post this in the QB 2010 thread but it seems to apply here aswell.

There are basically 3 different types of 49ers fans in regard to Alex Smith

1- Every bad play is Alex’s fault. Everything good play is because of someone else, and would have been a lot better if Alex hadn’t screwed it up

2- Alex has had enough time and hasn’t shown that he’s got what it takes to be a winner in the NFL. Let’s cut ties and move on.

3- Alex has had the worst set of circumstances a young QB could have for his first few years. He is 25 and still could be a good NFL QB.

2&3 are ration stances in the discussion of Alex Smith. IMO most of the board has one of these two opinions

1 is made up of crazy, crazy people that stir the pot and keep the rest of us on our toes with their mindless post.

I am more version 2.5. I do not think he will ever be a "great" QB, even with a new Oline. I do agree he was put into some really bad situations early on, but could be a decent QB. The problem is, am I willing to wait another year just to see if he can even be a "good" QB? I am not so sure...
Share 49ersWebzone