LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Singletary's post-game press conference

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
MOAR SPREAD OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't Do It! Fired Martz for a reason!

I'd take Martz as HC and OC over Singletary and Raye to be flat-out honest with you. Yeah, so we'll pass the ball a lot, but at least we won't play like a bunch of pussies.
Originally posted by NM49ERFAN:
It kind of sucks when we're already talking about what we need in the off season when we are in the middle of a season.

Kind of like every year for the past 7 or so years
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by NM49ERFAN:
It kind of sucks when we're already talking about what we need in the off season when we are in the middle of a season.

Kind of like every year for the past 7 or so years

Fire McClueless!
I really doubt Singletary gets fired, I can't see Jed doing it unless we lost every game really badly. However, I view Jed as more aggressive than his dad, and he did say last season it would be the last time our season ends in December. Our last game is in January but you know what he meant. He has to hold Singletary accountable
I agree with you, Patrick...Singletary needs to look in the mirror and realize HE is as much at fault for what's happening on the field as anyone. His inexperience in the "X's and O's" department is showing more each week. He gets outcoached just about every game. Jimmy Raye isn't the OC this team needs...we need someone who has a clue what 21st century offenses need to look like. In this game the defense didn't play well, either. When your top four tacklers are in the secondary, that's not a good sign. When you have the ball for 18 mins and your opponent controls it for 42 mins, there's a problem, Houston. It starts at the top, folks...Singletary's merely reinforcing that he's in over his head. Our team needs an experienced head coach...who understands what it takes to succeed in today's NFL and can make it happen and that's not Mike Singletary.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I agree with you, Patrick...Singletary needs to look in the mirror and realize HE is as much at fault for what's happening on the field as anyone. His inexperience in the "X's and O's" department is showing more each week. He gets outcoached just about every game. Jimmy Raye isn't the OC this team needs...we need someone who has a clue what 21st century offenses need to look like. In this game the defense didn't play well, either. When your top four tacklers are in the secondary, that's not a good sign. When you have the ball for 18 mins and your opponent controls it for 42 mins, there's a problem, Houston. It starts at the top, folks...Singletary's merely reinforcing that he's in over his head. Our team needs an experienced head coach...who understands what it takes to succeed in today's NFL and can make it happen and that's not Mike Singletary.

Here's my problem with all this....we all think we're knowledgeable fans, and we are. But we cannot expect a first year coach to come in and win the super bowl. The guy has just passed the halfway mark of his first season and people want to fire him already, that's no way to build a team. The one thing we all want is continuity. Look at the colts and what is the one thing they have that we don't? (besides payton) it's continuity. It's not time to tear this thing down. Maybe Mike johnson gets the nod at OC next year, but leave this team alone and let it grow!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Hell will freeze over before Sing and Raye run a full time spread offense.
He's got a year of head coaching under his belt now...I haven't seen the growth in his ability to mange the team. Do you really think smash-mouth football should be this team's identity? Seriously? See, the problem is, that's all Singletary knows. He's a fire and brimstone kind of leader...and while that does raise spirits and enthusiasm, it's a poor substitute for knowing the ins and outs of running an NFL team. He hired Jimmy Raye...who just doesn't seem to get it..."it" being what it takes to have a successful offense in today's NFL. I like Singletary...but he's getting whipped on the sideline every week...how long is that acceptable? He doesn't understand today's offenses...how long is that acceptable? I like many of his attributes...I simply don't think they're enough to succeed as an NFL head coach.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He's got a year of head coaching under his belt now...I haven't seen the growth in his ability to mange the team. Do you really think smash-mouth football should be this team's identity? Seriously? See, the problem is, that's all Singletary knows. He's a fire and brimstone kind of leader...and while that does raise spirits and enthusiasm, it's a poor substitute for knowing the ins and outs of running an NFL team. He hired Jimmy Raye...who just doesn't seem to get it..."it" being what it takes to have a successful offense in today's NFL. I like Singletary...but he's getting whipped on the sideline every week...how long is that acceptable? He doesn't understand today's offenses...how long is that acceptable? I like many of his attributes...I simply don't think they're enough to succeed as an NFL head coach.

The team just seems divided right now. Singletary wants to be physical, run it at will, play great defense, win those close games, etc. This team isn't that. The players and fans see it. Now the coaches need to see it. Staying in close games when you can't pick up inches and can't stop the run when it matters most isn't a good recipe. We'll just end up losing a bunch of close games, which we have this season.

This is the 49ers. When have we EVER been a power running team? We have the weapons to outscore any team in the league, yet we choose to play passive. Look at the Packers. They were up 20-3 with 2 minutes left in the 1st half and were calling timeouts to get the ball back. That's the difference between winning teams and losing teams. This is what we need. I think deep down inside, Singletary would much rather prefer to be a power running team, and I think that's the problem (got rid of Martz). If you're going to be a passing team, then you might as well bring in guys who know how to pass (Turner or Shanahan). I don't see much of a future with Singletary and Raye. This feels like trying to convert Mike Tyson into a ballerina. It isn't going to happen.

I wouldn't mind Singletary as the HC, as long as he brings in an OC who knows what the hell he's doing.

For the first time, I'm not even going to listen to what he has to say today, because I stopped caring. He's turning into a Mariucci-Nolan hybrid. They say all the right things and seem extremely confident, but when it matters most, they're weak and passive. We need strong and aggressive. We're being out-coached in every single game. I feel bad for the players. I feel bad for us as fans having to endure this.

All I can say is that if we don't start using the spread in the 1st half against Jacksonville, I'm going to be calling for some heads.
[ Edited by B650 on Nov 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM ]
I am wondering when will sing held himself and the coaches accountable instead of making excuses and blaming his players.

• B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nothing03:
I am wondering when will sing held himself and the coaches accountable instead of making excuses and blaming his players.

Yeah, I could see that happening.

"And it will change, but it will change when we...scratch that...when I want it to change. It's on me. The players do want it to change, but I have to wake up, and Raye has to wake up. No, literally. He really does. He sleeps a lot. So, moving forward, me and Raye both need to wake up. All I can say is that, just watch next week."

Yeah, definitely. I could see that.
[ Edited by B650 on Nov 23, 2009 at 2:46 AM ]
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by nothing03:

Watch the Nolan/Sing comparisons grow as the season moves along.
Seeing the offense sputter week in and week out makes me wonder what in the hell did they do in the offseason? Seriously, what?
The most frustrating thing about the coaching staff is that they said before the season that they were developing an offense that would utilize the talents they have on offense. Obviously they grossly misjudged that talent, installed an ineffective offense, and as a result the Niners have an inconsistent train-wreck.

Same as it ever was.
Originally posted by 190836:
Same old same old Singletary. We just have to get better, I have to see the film, we are a young team, yelling at the reporters like it was them that lost the game. This guy has lost it all, if Baby York was smart he would fire SM and Sing at the end of the season and get a real coach.

On our internal scoreboard, coach Singletary has lost 3 games this season. The ownership and senior management is pleased with the performance of coach Singletary and his hand picked coaching staffs.

The ownership and sr management are particular impressed by how motivated our players are, every one of them. These players went from being Nolan guys to motivated dudes without missing a step. It's just so moving that players all wore that motivated look even on week days.
Share 49ersWebzone