LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

The Defense Cost Us This Game: Check out these Stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
I agree, this game and ATL, the defense cost us, and it happens. But, our offense didn't help out at all in the first 1st half, s**tty blocking, missed throws, isn't going to help the defense; we had like 3, 3 and outs, at one point.

The defense is not the problem, it's the offense.

The game was 23 to 3 at halftime. Giving up 23 points in a half isn't good. If they only gave up 10 or 14 points I would be saying something different but with a 20 point lead the offense has to score which it did with 3 TDs.

Also people forget that the offense scored on its last drive and there was time to get the ball back to win the game. What did the defense do? It failed to stop the Packers and let a 3rd and 4 yards get away from them.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
In his last 9 NFL starts Alex Smith is 1-8 check out that stat

And this team has a winning record otherwise, right?

Since last year, Hill's record is 8-6. So the answer to your question is "yes".
I agree, this game and ATL, the defense cost us, and it happens. But, our offense didn't help out at all in the first 1st half, s**tty blocking, missed throws, isn't going to help the defense; we had like 3, 3 and outs, at one point.

The defense is not the problem, it's the offense.

The game was 23 to 3 at halftime. Giving up 23 points in a half isn't good. If they only gave up 10 or 14 points I would be saying something different but with a 20 point lead the offense has to score which it did with 3 TDs.

Also people forget that the offense scored on its last drive and there was time to get the ball back to win the game. What did the defense do? It failed to stop the Packers and let a 3rd and 4 yards get away from them.

We had -7 yards passing in the first half.

News flash, this is not the '01 Ravens D.

Like I said, the defense had its faults, but the offense is the real reason we lost this game.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
You also have to factor in that the T.O.P. by our offense in the first half was just as much to blame than our defense not stopping them. Just as our defense getting the ball back for us so Smith could throw for 3 TD's. But IMO, the nail in the coffin was Smith throwing an INT within our own redzone. Without that pick that set up a TD, final score 24-23 49ers.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The offense was clearly more to blame for the score at the end of the first half. I think that much should be obvious.

How so? Did it give up those points or fail to pressure Rodgers? Nope. The defense sucked the entire game.

If you go 3 and out on 4 of 5 first half possessions (and one 5-6 play drive), it will have a negative effect on the defense for a number of reasons (physical and psychological) that don't need to be discussed here since they're so obvious.

Not saying the D played good...just saying they weren't the main culprit.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
You also have to factor in that the T.O.P. by our offense in the first half was just as much to blame than our defense not stopping them. Just as our defense getting the ball back for us so Smith could throw for 3 TD's. But IMO, the nail in the coffin was Smith throwing an INT within our own redzone. Without that pick that set up a TD, final score 24-23 49ers.

Even if he doesn't throw the pick, we still had a good chance of losing. Say we had to punt on that drive after getting a 1st down or 2 and gaining about 30 yards. We would have wasted about 2 or 3 min and greenbay would have ate the rest of the clock up. The only reason we scored so quick after the TD was because of a great return by Morgan.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by lamontb:
The main problem is that Manny and Parys are almost worthless in the 3-4. Bronw got exposed badly today his hips aren't fluid at all.

I got an idea.

Instead of determining things like that when half the team doesn't support the Defense( based on all the damn 3 an outs due to the challenging play calling) how bout having the common sense to make these kinds of determinations when the team clicks on all cylinders.

Oh but waitaminnit...

that would mean that you would be wrong then as you are wrong now.

~Ceadder

Explain to me what the offense has to do with Manny and Parys not being good pass rushers and Brown not having fluid hips? What you are trying to say makes know sense pertaining to these players skill sets. That has nothing to do with being tired. Not being talented enough to be productive OLB'ers in this 3-4 scheme isn't the offenses fault. So you saying the defense can only be productive when the whole team is playing well? We shouldn't expect them to be able to beat there man and make a play? It's no doubt that offense stinks and contributes to some of the problems, but not all of them. some is just a talent issue.
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:07 AM ]
  • hcniner64
  • Info N/A
Fair argument expcept the offense plays just a part in T.O.P. as the defense does.
Originally posted by pd24:

Even if he doesn't throw the pick, we still had a good chance of losing. Say we had to punt on that drive after getting a 1st down or 2 and gaining about 30 yards. We would have wasted about 2 or 3 min and greenbay would have ate the rest of the clock up. The only reason we scored so quick after the TD was because of a great return by Morgan.

The QB has to sholder some of the blame on every INT, but VD ducked out of the way on that pass. It wasn't as bad as B. Loyds, but that was as much VD's fault as it was Smiths.
Originally posted by jta854:

The QB has to sholder some of the blame on every INT, but VD ducked out of the way on that pass. It wasn't as bad as B. Loyds, but that was as much VD's fault as it was Smiths.

He thought that pass was intended for Walker.

I like this post because it's what I think. I think we have good corners but when a qb has time to wait on his receiver to make another break normally a pro qb will make an accurate throw. I said last week on another post that good teams have 3 things, good offensive line, pass rusher, and a good qb.

Originally posted by Joecool:
The 5 total yards passing in the half has nothing to do with it.

The defense isn't to blame. No pash rusher and QB is.
Originally posted by jta854:

He thought that pass was intended for Walker.

I sure he did, but it looked to me like Smith was throwning to VD. The Packers blitzed on that play, it may have been a hot route that was not read properly
I think the Packs go our defense and we got the Rams..
Originally posted by sixbricks:
I think the Packs go our defense and we got the Rams..

and make good TDs but old and grumpy
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
While the majority of talk on the board today revolves around the offense, the clear problem today was the defense. The final numbers should be troubling to 49ers fans who have felt confident for most of this season that the defense would carry the team in tough games:

Packers total yards: 484
The #1 team in the NFL in total offensive yards per game is the Saints, and they only average 426 yards a game.

Packers 3rd down%: 10/18- 55%
The #1 team in the NFL in 3rd down conversion is the Colts, at 50%. So, the Niners clearly did not get the Packers off the field, especially in the last drive that chewed up the final 5 minutes.

Packers 1st downs: 26
The #1 team in the NFL in first downs per game is the NE Patriots, with an average of 23.7 per game. The Niners allowed more than the top team in this catagory as well.

Time of Possession: 41:39
The #1 team in the NFL in time of possession is the NYG at 34:23. Our team allowed almost seven more minutes. Now, part of the problem was the first half ineptitude of the offense, but the defense clearly did not help the team to minimize the amount of time the Packers had the ball, including the final 5 minutes when the Niners knew the Packers were simply going to run the ball to kill the clock.

Offensive Snaps: 79
The #1 team in the NFL in offensive snaps per game is the Dolphins, with an average of 65.8 per game. The Packers had more than 13 additional snaps than the #1 team, a mindboggling number.

So, while the argument of the spread offense, Alex Smith, Jimmy Raye, the offensive line, and Singletary's offensive philosophy are all important to resolve in order to bring continuity on offense, the defense clearly needs to shoulder the blame for this debackle.

Cheers.

While I don't always agree with Maddog, and have insulted his logic countless of times, I do believe when he gets off his high horse he is one of the smarter posters.

So I'm pretty much saying, I agree with him on this subject.

Oh and by the way, maddog, how about that "Sidney Rice will amount to nothing and is overrated" comment. Let's also not forget the "You only like him because his last name is Rice" comment.

Sorry I can't be too nice, you might get used to it
Share 49ersWebzone