LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Owens shouldn't be mentioned with "The Catch"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by linkboy:
I think that if there was a Catch II, it should be Taylor's catch in Super Bowl 23 (still the best Super Bowl ever, Tyree be damned).

Oh and I don't give a crap that Rice fumbled two plays earlier, there were much worst calls in previous games that GB got.

Like the MNF game in GB in 96. Favre throws a pass to Don Beebe, the ball skips off of the ground, Beebe traps it, McDonald touches him while he was on the ground, Beebe gets up and runs 59yds for a TD, refs give it to him. Final score of the game was 23-20 GB, GB finishes 13-3, we're 12-4. That game cost us first in the West (Carolina beat us twice and held the tie breaker, they finished 12-4 as well) and we lost to Green Bay in the Divisional round in Green Bay.

or the time Gary Plummer recovered a fumble and went 98yds, only to have the refs rule the Packers RB (Edgar Bennet I believe) down before the fumble (he wasn't).

Packer fans have no leg to stand on when it comes to the refs and bad calls.

The horrible calls in that series has by far aided Green Bay. It was so bad at one point I seriously thought about quitting watching the NFL
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
that play should of never happened. Rice fumbled the ball a few plays before that but it was ruled down by contact. Replay clearly showed he fumbled and a packer recovered.

Yup. And if they had today's rules back then, it would have been challengable...the Niners would have lost for sure.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
that play should of never happened. Rice fumbled the ball a few plays before that but it was ruled down by contact. Replay clearly showed he fumbled and a packer recovered.

Yup. And if they had today's rules back then, it would have been challengable...the Niners would have lost for sure.

That play was the reason why replay came back.

If they had today's rules back then, the two bad calls I mentioned above would have been overturned too.

The fact remains that the Packers had gotten away with a lot more then what the 49ers got.
[ Edited by linkboy on Nov 20, 2009 at 3:57 PM ]
I do think this catch created the Owens ego too. However, the running to the star thing in dallas (which was great) really blew up his head, becuase Owens saw how people would pay attention to him the, media, fans, etc. One thing that is ironic is I know Owens will go into hall of fame as a 49er and prolly comes back here and signs one of those 1 day contracts to retire a 49er.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
"The Catch" was a play that started a dynasty; it sent our team to its very first Super Bowl. Owens' catch was an absolutely amazing play, but it was during the wildcard game. I remember being very excited that we finally beat the Packers, but I just dont like referring to it as "The Catch II". I think Dwight Clark deserves to have the only play known as "The Catch" because of the outcome of the play: A DYNASTY!!!!

P.S. I blame Brett Favre for everything that has gone wrong this season. It is all Favre's fault!!!!

Calling it the catch II is appropriate because as the real catch was the start of the dynasty, the catch II was the end

PS That play means nothing to me it didn't not lead to another Superbowl it was just another good play. People get all jacked up it was nothing, just another win.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:25 PM ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
"The Catch" was a play that started a dynasty; it sent our team to its very first Super Bowl. Owens' catch was an absolutely amazing play, but it was during the wildcard game. I remember being very excited that we finally beat the Packers, but I just dont like referring to it as "The Catch II". I think Dwight Clark deserves to have the only play known as "The Catch" because of the outcome of the play: A DYNASTY!!!!

P.S. I blame Brett Favre for everything that has gone wrong this season. It is all Favre's fault!!!!

Calling it the catch II is appropriate because as the real catch was the start of the dynasty, the catch II was the end

PS That play means nothing to me it didn't not lead to another Superbowl it was just another good play. People get all jacked up it was nothing, just another win.

OUCH
Originally posted by BigRon:

OUCH

I Want Winners!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Nov 20, 2009 at 5:32 PM ]
I was listening to this game on the radio while fishing in Tahoe and getting higher than a kite and eating honey baked ham.
Originally posted by BigRon:

OUCH

If we're gonna label these, I'd say:

1. The Catch (Montana to DC) - Led to the 1st Superbowl
2. The Catch II (Montana to Taylor) - Clinched the 3rd Superbowl
3. The Catch III (Young to Rice end of the 1st Half NFC Championship 1994) Led to 5th Superbowl
4. The Catch IV (Young to Owens) - Beat Favre / Led to a trip to Atlanta . .
Agreed. If anything, I'd say John Taylor is more deserving.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
I wasn't born when The Catch happened.

When I became a 49ers fan in the early/mid 90's, this was the moment when I became a pure and true 49er fan.

Owens is an idiot, but it'll always be something I remember and cherish about the 49ers.
I think Dwight Clark deserves to have the only play known as "The Catch" because of the outcome of the play: A DYNASTY!!!!

Oh please. The dynasty would have formed regardless. We probably would have only won 3 SuperBowls in the 80s had "The Catch" not happened, but we didn't need a miracle for the other 4 championships and that play is not responsible for any of them.
Share 49ersWebzone