Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by AiNoKea:

We all know what's best for our beloved team, its just our opinions differ. But you say your not a Smith supporter, Hill basher....but that's funny, I didn't EVER see you support or back up Hill when he was starting??

Funny how short of a leash Hill gets as opposed to Alex Smith. Two games and we pull Hill, how much have we lost already with Smith in there??

It's not about wins and losses, it's about how each QB has played. Do you think just because Hill won 1 more game than Smith did, he should remain QB for the remainder of the season? We should be happy that Hill beat the Rams and Seahawks? He played basically 5.5 bad games. The defense let him off the hook in each of the games. Yes, the defense bailed out Smith against Chicago, but Gore was able to ice the game. Notice how we ran the ball out of shotgun though? Do you see a reason for that? The Bears had to respect Smith's arm, so we could actually use shotgun and run the ball out of it, and we were pretty successful with that. With Hill back there, I doubt we'd get that creative. We'd just continue to run the ball up the gut just like we did against Arizona and Minnesota.

By the way, I was supporting Hill last season after he took over for O'Sullivan. I thought he was pretty good last year. He was getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing accurately. Unfortunately, all QBs appear that way with Martz, and now that he's gone, we all see Hill's true colors.

What are you talking about? It's all about wins and losses... No team makes the playoffs because there QB had more 300 yard games or less turnovers throughout the season...

To answer your question, I don't think anyone wants Hill to be our QB because he's won 2 more games than Smith this year. I think it's because he hasn't given the game away with turnovers and stupid actions (penalties/decisions/etc...)

We all know if our team wins the turnover battle we stand a better chance of winning the game, right? Including fumbles lost, Alex averages 2 turnovers a start right now. Shaun averages 1/2 of a turnover per start this year.

For Alex, all of his turnovers have led to a total of 27 points. For Hill, his have led to a total of 13 points. Averaging across the # of starts, Smith needs to score 9 additional points per start to make up for his turnovers where Shaun need just over 2.

Now averaging how many points we put up with each QB in there per start (not counting the Hou game because of obvious reasons) Smith averages 17 points a game and Hill averages 22...

The reason I put all this info out like this is to prove that Smith is hurting the team much more than he is helping. His turnovers are costing us more points per game and with him as the QB we are putting up less points per game. This is a formula for losing...

Look, Hill sucks. We know this; but, he's been better for the team than Smith has so far.

Not according to the 49ers coaches and about 95% of the fans. You're in the minority on this one. Just because Hill didn't throw INTs, doesn't mean he's better for the team. He lead the league in 3-and-outs. Remember that, or did you conveniently block this from your memory? Smith moves the ball. Our run game is improved. Our OL is improved. Our defense is better rested. That's why he's the starter and Hill is on the bench.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe anyone would still want Hill starting after the Rams, Falcons, and Texans games. Seriously, go back and watch those 3 games one after another. Now tell me, after you're done wasting about 9 hours of your life, if you want this to continue.

If that's what you think then that's fine... I don't care if you think I'm in the minority on this or not.

If you remember your history, the minority knew the worlds was round when most thought it was flat. Point is, just cause you think you're in the majority does not make you right.

As for you're argument, did you read the numbers I posted. We did better on O against tougher D's with Hill in than we have fared with Smith.

We have cameras and videotape now, so it's obvious the Earth is round, just like it's obvious Smith is better than Hill.

it's obvious?

could've fooled me.

Yeah; but were minorities. So, our opinion doesn't count..
  • B650
  • Veteran

We all know what's best for our beloved team, its just our opinions differ. But you say your not a Smith supporter, Hill basher....but that's funny, I didn't EVER see you support or back up Hill when he was starting??

Funny how short of a leash Hill gets as opposed to Alex Smith. Two games and we pull Hill, how much have we lost already with Smith in there??

It's not about wins and losses, it's about how each QB has played. Do you think just because Hill won 1 more game than Smith did, he should remain QB for the remainder of the season? We should be happy that Hill beat the Rams and Seahawks? He played basically 5.5 bad games. The defense let him off the hook in each of the games. Yes, the defense bailed out Smith against Chicago, but Gore was able to ice the game. Notice how we ran the ball out of shotgun though? Do you see a reason for that? The Bears had to respect Smith's arm, so we could actually use shotgun and run the ball out of it, and we were pretty successful with that. With Hill back there, I doubt we'd get that creative. We'd just continue to run the ball up the gut just like we did against Arizona and Minnesota.

By the way, I was supporting Hill last season after he took over for O'Sullivan. I thought he was pretty good last year. He was getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing accurately. Unfortunately, all QBs appear that way with Martz, and now that he's gone, we all see Hill's true colors.

What are you talking about? It's all about wins and losses... No team makes the playoffs because there QB had more 300 yard games or less turnovers throughout the season...

To answer your question, I don't think anyone wants Hill to be our QB because he's won 2 more games than Smith this year. I think it's because he hasn't given the game away with turnovers and stupid actions (penalties/decisions/etc...)

We all know if our team wins the turnover battle we stand a better chance of winning the game, right? Including fumbles lost, Alex averages 2 turnovers a start right now. Shaun averages 1/2 of a turnover per start this year.

For Alex, all of his turnovers have led to a total of 27 points. For Hill, his have led to a total of 13 points. Averaging across the # of starts, Smith needs to score 9 additional points per start to make up for his turnovers where Shaun need just over 2.

Now averaging how many points we put up with each QB in there per start (not counting the Hou game because of obvious reasons) Smith averages 17 points a game and Hill averages 22...

The reason I put all this info out like this is to prove that Smith is hurting the team much more than he is helping. His turnovers are costing us more points per game and with him as the QB we are putting up less points per game. This is a formula for losing...

Look, Hill sucks. We know this; but, he's been better for the team than Smith has so far.

Not according to the 49ers coaches and about 95% of the fans. You're in the minority on this one. Just because Hill didn't throw INTs, doesn't mean he's better for the team. He lead the league in 3-and-outs. Remember that, or did you conveniently block this from your memory? Smith moves the ball. Our run game is improved. Our OL is improved. Our defense is better rested. That's why he's the starter and Hill is on the bench.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe anyone would still want Hill starting after the Rams, Falcons, and Texans games. Seriously, go back and watch those 3 games one after another. Now tell me, after you're done wasting about 9 hours of your life, if you want this to continue.

If that's what you think then that's fine... I don't care if you think I'm in the minority on this or not.

If you remember your history, the minority knew the worlds was round when most thought it was flat. Point is, just cause you think you're in the majority does not make you right.

As for you're argument, did you read the numbers I posted. We did better on O against tougher D's with Hill in than we have fared with Smith.

We have cameras and videotape now, so it's obvious the Earth is round, just like it's obvious Smith is better than Hill.

it's obvious?

could've fooled me.

Maybe you're not watching in HD.
Originally posted by backontop:
sometimes I wonder.....do extreme Alex fans really care about Nate's well being, like some try to.......or

are they worried that Nate would do better than Alex.....which would basically mean the end for Alex in a 9er uniform... OH THE HORROR

Nate has shown he has a better feel for the game than Alex (early in his career and maybe still now)

3rd stringers or not Nate showed at 1:05 nice touch on this pass.....then came right back with a bullet for a 2pt conversion...

if we are eliminated from the playoffs and Alex is still struggling...then we better throw Nate in there......and see how he responds...if he plays well, Great we don't have to spend a 1st pick on a QB or sign or trade for a big name QB.........the clock is ticking.

If Alex steps up and plays well and we make the playoffs then that is even better.

why are you and so many other Smith haters so obssessed with Smith being a bust? Wouldn't you rather he succeed and end the "who will be the QB" problem? But the problem is just like the others your hatred for Smith blinds the fact that he has improved and still continues to improve every week. While you are screaming at your TV for Singletary to put Hill in as the starter I will be sitting back enjoying the game watching and realizing that Smith very well could be the answer. Then again he could not be the answer as well. but I will let time decide that instead of jumping to a conclusion because I hate the guy. So what has Smith done to all you haters out there? Did he sleep with your sister? Maybe knocked up your mom? I know he killed your dog. that has to be it

Did you even read my post.....read the last sentence again.....
Quote:

"If Alex steps up and plays well and we make the playoffs then that is even better."

also, I have said numerous times... I don't hate Alex...hate is a strong word..... I actually think he is a good person...but just has not been a good QB early in his career so far....the problem is I am not patient anymore...we have a good team here....and we are still in the playoff hunt....we can't be turning the ball over....just like Alex has EVERY single game he as played this year......our offensive strategy is to win close games...we can not win close games on a consistent basis by having our QB turning the ball over every game.....think back to the Colts game....we could have won that game....it didn't help that Alex threw an INT.....the Colts ended up in great field position and got an easy score.....in a close game.....

same thing against the Titans.....TWICE late in the 4th qtr.
same thing against the Bears.....good thing Cutler gave it right back to us....over and over.

edit- don't get me wrong.. I don't expect him to play perfect...an INT here and there every other game...fine....but that Titans game AT HOME has traumatized me again, regarding Alex.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 21, 2009 at 4:19 PM ]

it's obvious?

could've fooled me.

I'm watching in HD.....I just don't have my #11 Shades on.....those numbers on the lenses kinda blocked my view of reality.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 21, 2009 at 4:22 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
sometimes I wonder.....do extreme Alex fans really care about Nate's well being, like some try to.......or

are they worried that Nate would do better than Alex.....which would basically mean the end for Alex in a 9er uniform... OH THE HORROR

Nate has shown he has a better feel for the game than Alex (early in his career and maybe still now)

3rd stringers or not Nate showed at 1:05 nice touch on this pass.....then came right back with a bullet for a 2pt conversion...

if we are eliminated from the playoffs and Alex is still struggling...then we better throw Nate in there......and see how he responds...if he plays well, Great we don't have to spend a 1st pick on a QB or sign or trade for a big name QB.........the clock is ticking.

If Alex steps up and plays well and we make the playoffs then that is even better.

why are you and so many other Smith haters so obssessed with Smith being a bust? Wouldn't you rather he succeed and end the "who will be the QB" problem? But the problem is just like the others your hatred for Smith blinds the fact that he has improved and still continues to improve every week. While you are screaming at your TV for Singletary to put Hill in as the starter I will be sitting back enjoying the game watching and realizing that Smith very well could be the answer. Then again he could not be the answer as well. but I will let time decide that instead of jumping to a conclusion because I hate the guy. So what has Smith done to all you haters out there? Did he sleep with your sister? Maybe knocked up your mom? I know he killed your dog. that has to be it

Quote:

"If Alex steps up and plays well and we make the playoffs then that is even better."

also, I have said numerous times... I don't hate Alex...hate is a strong word..... I actually think he is a good person...but just has not been a good QB early in his career so far....the problem is I am not patient anymore...we have a good team here....and we are still in the playoff hunt....we can't be turning the ball over....just like Alex has EVERY single game he as played this year......our offensive strategy is to win close games...we can not win close games on a consistent basis by having our QB turning the ball over every game.....think back to the Colts game....we could have won that game....it didn't help that Alex threw an INT.....the Colts ended up in great field position and got an easy score.....in a close game.....

same thing against the Bears.....good thing Cutler gave it right back to us....over and over.

You're obsessed with INTs, but for some reason, 3-and-outs are perfectly acceptable.

Here's a quick summary of what happens when 3-and-outs mount up quickly: See Atlanta and Houston games. We lose field position, the defense tires, and just like that, the game gets out of reach.

Here's a summary of what happens when you throw a pick or 2, but are at least able to move the ball: See Tennessee game. We'll remain in the game, at the very least. I'd take 34-27 or 45-10 and 21-0. Hill's offense (turnovers or not) was flat-out embarrassing. Have you been a fan all along? I've been a fan for over 25 years, and I've never seen such a pathetic and limited offense. I've seen some pretty horrible ones, led by QBs such as Rattay, Stenstrom, etc.

Smith's offense is much, much better. It's really amazing how anyone could not see that. All he needs to do is cut down on his INTs, which is possible. Shaun Hill would need to increase his arm strength, accuracy, mobility, etc. It's not possible. Thankfully, the 49ers agree with me. Going across the U.S. and letting other teams see the 49ers reduced to Shaun Hill firing ducks to Isaac Bruce was painful.

Now, the U.S. gets to see Smith fire bullets to Crabtree. The future is looking bright for those of us who have moved on and left Shaun Hill in the dust, just like the 49ers coaches have.
  • B650
  • Veteran

it's obvious?

could've fooled me.

I'm watching in HD.....I just don't have my #11 Shades on.....those numbers on the lenses kinda blocked my view of reality.

Yeah, they're blocked by the #13 instead.

Quote:

You're obsessed with INTs, but for some reason, 3-and-outs are perfectly acceptable.

Here's a quick summary of what happens when 3-and-outs mount up quickly: See Atlanta and Houston games. We lose field position, the defense tires, and just like that, the game gets out of reach.

Here's a summary of what happens when you throw a pick or 2, but are at least able to move the ball: See Tennessee game. We'll remain in the game, at the very least. I'd take 34-27 or 45-10 and 21-0. Hill's offense (turnovers or not) was flat-out embarrassing. Have you been a fan all along? I've been a fan for over 25 years, and I've never seen such a pathetic and limited offense. I've seen some pretty horrible ones, led by QBs such as Rattay, Stenstrom, etc.

Smith's offense is much, much better. It's really amazing how anyone could not see that. All he needs to do is cut down on his INTs, which is possible. Shaun Hill would need to increase his arm strength, accuracy, mobility, etc. It's not possible. Thankfully, the 49ers agree with me. Going across the U.S. and letting other teams see the 49ers reduced to Shaun Hill firing ducks to Isaac Bruce was painful.

Now, the U.S. gets to see Smith fire bullets to Crabtree. The future is looking bright for those of us who have moved on and left Shaun Hill in the dust, just like the 49ers coaches have.

When INT's lead to an average of 9 points a game for the opposition, then Yes. I'm gonna obsess about them. Have you ever wondered why the team the wins the turnover battle typically wins the game. You can't say the same about 3&outs though...
I think the U.S. got a GOOD look at what Alex has achieved after being in this league after all these years...it that Nationally Televised game against the Bears.

it which the Jay Cutler threw 5ints....yet some how almost helped his Bears beat us at home....all I can say is THANK THE HEAVENS Cutler threw an INT in the endzone...or else All Hell would have broke lose.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 21, 2009 at 4:29 PM ]
  • B650
  • Veteran

Quote:

When INT's lead to an average of 9 points a game for the opposition, then Yes. I'm gonna obsess about them. Have you ever wondered why the team the wins the turnover battle typically wins the game. You can't say the same about 3&outs though...

You can if you lead the league in them.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I think the U.S. got a GOOD look at what Alex has achieved it that Nationally Televised game against the Bears.

it which the Jay Cutler threw 5ints....yet some how almost helped his Bears beat us at home....all I can say is THANK THE HEAVENS Cutler threw an INT in the endzone...or else All Hell would have broke lose.

The U.S. got a good look at Frank Gore running for over a 100 yards and Smith not making any mistakes, which is good for a 25-year-old QB a couple years removed from the game. We won the game. He learned his lesson and protected the ball much better. Can you say the same thing for 29-year-old Shaun Hill? Our offense was getting worse and worse, and our playoff hopes were dimming.

Quote:

Notice how he didn't give the average amount of points that were given up by Hill the 3 and out king

Quote:

Then how come Hill has won a higher % of his starts? Or how come the team scores more points per game this year with Hill as the starting QB? Kinda weird stats when Smith is supposed to be the messiah, huh?

Quote:

Notice how he didn't give the average amount of points that were given up by Hill the 3 and out king

Go ahead an look it up; but be fair, just as I have to Smith, and put his stats up there as well...

Quote:

Then how come Hill has won a higher % of his starts? Or how come the team scores more points per game this year with Hill as the starting QB? Kinda weird stats when Smith is supposed to be the messiah, huh?

scored more points with Hill? Hmm lets see against the falcons 10 points. Against the Texans 0 points
  • B650
  • Veteran

Quote:

The team scores more points? With Hill at QB, the offense was averaging around 15.2 points per game, through 5.5 games. With Smith at QB, the offense is averaging 20.5 points per game.

Unless...you want to count blocked FGs and muffed punts...because of course, Hill was responsible for that. His presence alone causes the other team to make mistakes.
Share 49ersWebzone