LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 254 users in the forums

Shaun Hill - Final Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith = 3 wins in 3 years is pretty pathetic. I'm just saying...

But he didn't play for 2 of those years? How can you blame him for that? Even if he wasn't very good had he played that entire time then he would have more than 3 wins. He's only started 10 games in that time span, 4 of those with a badly seperated shoulder that he shouldn't have played with in the first place. But you already have your mind made up so there's no reason for me to try to convince you different, all you're going to come back at me with is "ALEXCUSES DOOD" and then you're going to say "HILL IZ BETTER BUT TEH OLYNE GAVE HIM LESS TIMEZ AND TEH RECIEVRS DROPPED DA BALL YO AND THE DEFENSE STOPPED PLAYING WELL AND COULDN'T GET HILL ON THE FIELD SUM MOAR".

Am I right or am I right?

I'd say you're wrong; but, that's just my opinion...

Hill would have to start and lose 20 more games to match Smith's win/loss %. Face it both these guys suck; but, at least Hill got us wins.

Also, if you're going to try and make fun of folks for spelling errors, you may want to run spell check on your own post. (seperated LOL)

I'm not making fun of his spelling. Just that people spelling like that because they get caught up in their own hype and stuff and believe everything they say. But am I making fun of his spelling personally? I never really intended to or thought about it but whatever, keep laughing if you want to. Also you're saying I'm wrong, that Hill got us wins, but he lost 3 of his last 4 games and was abysmal. How is that winning exactly? The last 2 games he was in we got outscored like 56 points.
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
Hill can come in and keep us in the game. While I like him, he is better off as the backup. However, Alex would be better off as a dog catcher. He just doesn't have it. Wish he did. Would gladly cheer for him if he suddenly becomes successful, but doubt if it will happen.
  • Steve
  • Info N/A
Those Alex excuses about tipped balls not being his fault are b.s. Those interceptions are mostly on Smith. Tipped balls are usually(not always) caused by the pass being too high for the receiver to go up and get. All on Smith. If he consistantly gets better as this season goes on, I will be glad to support him. If not, he needs to be gone next season and we need a new starting quarterback. Maybe a veteran that can get us through a year or two while we properly develop an young guy.
Originally posted by Steve:
Hill can come in and keep us in the game. While I like him, he is better off as the backup. However, Alex would be better off as a dog catcher. He just doesn't have it. Wish he did. Would gladly cheer for him if he suddenly becomes successful, but doubt if it will happen.

Really, did Hill keep us in the game during his last 3 starts? Just wondering.
Originally posted by Steve:
Those Alex excuses about tipped balls not being his fault are b.s. Those interceptions are mostly on Smith. Tipped balls are usually(not always) caused by the pass being too high for the receiver to go up and get. All on Smith. If he consistantly gets better as this season goes on, I will be glad to support him. If not, he needs to be gone next season and we need a new starting quarterback. Maybe a veteran that can get us through a year or two while we properly develop an young guy.

Wait . . . you argue that tipped balls are usually, but NOT always, caused by passes that are "too high," yet you state that the pics at issue here are "all on Smith." That seems inconsistent unless the tape establishes that the interceptions here were, in fact, "caused by the pass being too high for the receiver to go up and get." What if each tipped pass hit the WR square in the numbers or hands?
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Shaun Hill's 8 wins as starter of the 49ers since last year:

3 of them against the RAMs, 2 of those at home - the RAMS finished 2-14 2008 and are 1-8 this year, In one of those victories we beat the rams by only 1 point and one of those Kyle Boller was the QB.

1 against Seattle at home this season. Seneca Wallace QB - (Hassleback got hurt) - Seattle finished 4-12 last year, and are 3-6 this year.

1 against the Redskins at home in 2008 who finished the season 8-8 and did not make playoffs.

1 home game against the jets in 2008 - Jets did not make the playoffs in 2008

1 against Buffalo on the road in 2008, Bills finished 7-9, did not make playoffs - they are 3-6 this year.. Hill passed 14-23, 161 yards and the offense scored only 10 points. - This was a defensive win.

1 road game against Arizona this year - first game of the season, Arizona was obviously flat and beat themselves - made a lot of mistakes. Cardinals finished 9-7 last year and went to the Superbowl.

As a matter of fact all of Shaun Hill's 6 losses from last year and this year have been against teams who finished 8-8 or above last year and/or who are above .500 this year

Of the six losses (yes including Houston ), 5 were on the road.
Why are we still chatting about the back up QB....
Shaun Hill- Final Analysis==========Bench Warmer
Third stringer.

But he didn't play for 2 of those years? How can you blame him for that? Even if he wasn't very good had he played that entire time then he would have more than 3 wins. He's only started 10 games in that time span, 4 of those with a badly seperated shoulder that he shouldn't have played with in the first place. But you already have your mind made up so there's no reason for me to try to convince you different, all you're going to come back at me with is "ALEXCUSES DOOD" and then you're going to say "HILL IZ BETTER BUT TEH OLYNE GAVE HIM LESS TIMEZ AND TEH RECIEVRS DROPPED DA BALL YO AND THE DEFENSE STOPPED PLAYING WELL AND COULDN'T GET HILL ON THE FIELD SUM MOAR".

Hill would have to start and lose 20 more games to match Smith's win/loss %. Face it both these guys suck; but, at least Hill got us wins.

Also, if you're going to try and make fun of folks for spelling errors, you may want to run spell check on your own post. (seperated LOL)

I'm not making fun of his spelling. Just that people spelling like that because they get caught up in their own hype and stuff and believe everything they say. But am I making fun of his spelling personally? I never really intended to or thought about it but whatever, keep laughing if you want to. Also you're saying I'm wrong, that Hill got us wins, but he lost 3 of his last 4 games and was abysmal. How is that winning exactly? The last 2 games he was in we got outscored like 56 points.

I don't believe I mis-spelled anything. But back to the topic at hand, Shaun Hill is no Tom Brady, let alone an elite QB in the NFL, but he is a decent starter that will not make too many mistakes. He takes care of the ball. Hill hasn't even had an entire season to prove what he can do.

Smith, on the other hand, has had opportunity after opportunity. I personally would want a top prospect in next years draft, keep Hill as our backup, and give Alex the boot.

I don't believe I mis-spelled anything. But back to the topic at hand, Shaun Hill is no Tom Brady, let alone an elite QB in the NFL, but he is a decent starter that will not make too many mistakes. He takes care of the ball. Hill hasn't even had an entire season to prove what he can do.

Smith, on the other hand, has had opportunity after opportunity. I personally would want a top prospect in next years draft, keep Hill as our backup, and give Alex the boot.

Only full season Smith had was 2006 where he showed decent progress. Three games (I'm not counting the separated shoulder games though for some that seems to have left the indelible memory) in 2007 and three in 2009 is "opportunity after opportunity?" I give Hill credit. He did what he could do. But his limitations restricted what the Niners could do. We had no passing game to our receivers and the running game was stymied by the stacked box. By the time the Niners played the Falcons and Texans these shortcomings were being fully exploited and the Niners virtually had no offense at all.
[ Edited by BHulman on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM ]

Hill also had Morgan and Bruce as starting receivers. With the way Jason Hill and Crabtree are playing, Morgan and Bruce will quickly be 3rd and 4th options now.

One thing that we can all agree to is that Shaun Hill has NOT lost a game in which we are supposed to win. The remainder of this schedule is full of team we are supposed to beat. So far, we already lost one chance to the Titans.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

3 of them against the RAMs, 2 of those at home - the RAMS finished 2-14 2008 and are 1-8 this year, In one of those victories we beat the rams by only 1 point and one of those Kyle Boller was the QB.

1 against Seattle at home this season. Seneca Wallace QB - (Hassleback got hurt) - Seattle finished 4-12 last year, and are 3-6 this year.

1 against the Redskins at home in 2008 who finished the season 8-8 and did not make playoffs.

1 against Buffalo on the road in 2008, Bills finished 7-9, did not make playoffs - they are 3-6 this year.. Hill passed 14-23, 161 yards and the offense scored only 10 points. - This was a defensive win.

1 road game against Arizona this year - first game of the season, Arizona was obviously flat and beat themselves - made a lot of mistakes. Cardinals finished 9-7 last year and went to the Superbowl.

As a matter of fact all of Shaun Hill's 6 losses from last year and this year have been against teams who finished 8-8 or above last year and/or who are above .500 this year

simple...the current starter is not getting the job done, like some said he was going to do if he ever got the chance....

if Alex was playing well and we were winning games....I would doubt a thread like this would get started.......just like when Shaun was playing well last year and early this year...there were no Alex threads started.

lol I never said you misspelled anything, I just spelled like that because a bunch of other people are and a lot of people who get all hyped over this use all caps and stuff do. I never did. He just thought he could one up me or whatever, but I never meant it personally or anything.

I disagree with you on Shaun Hill. I don't think he's a decent starter at all. He's not very mobile, he was the king of punts, and he had a hard time making a lot of different throws like a 15 yard out. The one he threw to Crabtree in the Texans game traveled like 15 yards in 4 seconds and fluttered around like he threw a pie. And I mean he's a smart guy, he didn't make too many mistakes, but he didn't make many plays and he didn't improvise very well either. He limited what our team could do. Smith has been given a few chances, but you can't say he's had great shots in those chances either. The only good chance he had was with Norv, and he wasn't great but he wasn't horrible and he showed a lot of improvement. He has had an entire season, as much as Smith has pretty much, Shaun has 16 starts, does have a winning record, but he lost 3 of his last 4 games, teams figured him out, and the only winning team he's beat was the Jets in 08 when Favre had a busted arm and the Cardinals where he got bailed out by the D(I'll acknowledge Alex has been too, but every time it happens to him you use it to discredit him). Did you watch the games Hill started this year? The guy couldn't even take advantage of the Rams. And maybe Smith isn't the answer, but we KNOW Hill isn't, so lets give Alex a shot the last 7 games of the season with it on the line to see if he can do it. And if he doesn't, yeah he can have the boot. But if he does, than acknowledge it and give him a chance. Okay? That's all I'm asking. BE FAIR. We know Hill's not the answer, we've got nobody else besides Smith to start at QB since Davis is a dyslexic rook, so just give him a shot because he's our best bet at this point. If he doesn't get it done than we go and sign or trade for or draft a QB, but give him a shot since he's probably going to start the rest of the season anyway?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:

simple...the current starter is not getting the job done, like some said he was going to do if he ever got the chance....

if Alex was playing well and we were winning games....I would doubt a thread like this would get started.......just like when Shaun was playing well last year and early this year...there were no Alex threads started.

People started Alex threads early this year because even in the wins Shaun was playing poorly. Be fair. Don't sugar coat your guy's case just to try to make the other guy who you hate look bad. And if you want to say we were winning games when Shaun was QB and not to talk about Alex, how about acknowledge that Alex just won a game playing nearly the exact same way Hill has? Hill lost 3 of his last 4 anyway.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Glad he finally hit the bench, there was no future with him. I didn't like him from the beginning. He is nothing more than a back up, he had no business starting. Him starting the amount of games he did shows how bad the QB situation was.
Share 49ersWebzone