There are 228 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

• GORO
  • Veteran
This Green Bay game is big for us. Alex Smith needs to be the Qb that Noland and Scotty taught they drafted, if we are to win this game.

I wanted Aaron Rodgers in that draft, but Smith is our man so hopefully we make the play offs and Alex is the real deal
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Oh lordy, how these Alex Smith threads always turn out..

What I always see from those who use the term "Alexcuse" as a retort to those who cite the well documented adversity Alex has gone through have a condition where they think a QB is responsible for about 95% of the offense.

And all that other "stuff", the coaching, the running game, the O-line, the Wide Receiver play, the playcalling, the consistency of the team makeup, etc., that's only about 5% of the offense..

Well I'm just going to say that it's more than 5%, and more than 50%. And the 49ers have been quite bad in just about every single area of that other "stuff" since Alex has been here. Now could Alex have been better? Sure! There have been other QBs that have done better in bad situations. Am I convinced that Alex is the future of the 49ers at QB? No I'm not.

But the 49ers have essentially provided the blueprint on how to bust a high draft-pick quarterback with all the changes and the horrible play at critical positions. I mean he was completely annihilated into a 2-year hiatus, and that might've been actually a good thing because of how bad the niners have been. And this year, what has been good about our offense? Davis for sure, and Crabtree has been pretty good for a rookie who missed TC, but beyond that everything is just as bad or worse than the last few years!

I give him a C for the past couple games, but for what he's had to work with, it's tough to judge him. He's had no time to throw, the running game has stunk for the most part and there have been alot of mistakes made by the WRs that have resulted in INTs. What I am sure of is that Alex has improved quite a bit since we last saw him before the injury, and it's clear he's going to improve even more.

This.
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
I am one of his biggest critics and I have to say he is playing better than in years past but he still grades out to an F-. He may not be playing like the worst of ALL time (anymore) but he still aint playing better than most 2nd or 3rd stringers in the league. The pining for mediocrity is the cancer that has made us the glorious laughing stock that we have become. 3 cheers for not the worst QB in 75 years!!! Accidental playoffs or bust!!!

Dirty

I have to agree with Dirty. I gave him a C, but only because he did not lose the Bears game for us like he did the week before against the Titans. Regardless, there is nothing positive about having one of the worst QB's in the league. At some point, we are going to need to find a franchise-type QB to win a SB...right now, Smith is not that person and I doubt he ever will be.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Oh lordy, how these Alex Smith threads always turn out..

What I always see from those who use the term "Alexcuse" as a retort to those who cite the well documented adversity Alex has gone through have a condition where they think a QB is responsible for about 95% of the offense.

And all that other "stuff", the coaching, the running game, the O-line, the Wide Receiver play, the playcalling, the consistency of the team makeup, etc., that's only about 5% of the offense..

Well I'm just going to say that it's more than 5%, and more than 50%. And the 49ers have been quite bad in just about every single area of that other "stuff" since Alex has been here. Now could Alex have been better? Sure! There have been other QBs that have done better in bad situations. Am I convinced that Alex is the future of the 49ers at QB? No I'm not.

But the 49ers have essentially provided the blueprint on how to bust a high draft-pick quarterback with all the changes and the horrible play at critical positions. I mean he was completely annihilated into a 2-year hiatus, and that might've been actually a good thing because of how bad the niners have been. And this year, what has been good about our offense? Davis for sure, and Crabtree has been pretty good for a rookie who missed TC, but beyond that everything is just as bad or worse than the last few years!

I give him a C for the past couple games, but for what he's had to work with, it's tough to judge him. He's had no time to throw, the running game has stunk for the most part and there have been alot of mistakes made by the WRs that have resulted in INTs. What I am sure of is that Alex has improved quite a bit since we last saw him before the injury, and it's clear he's going to improve even more.

This.

Me too.
I give him between a C and a B, given that he seems to have less time to throw right now than at any other point in his career, aside from when he was a rookie.

He's hung in there, but I still want to see more. 3 games is half of what Hill played, I think at least 6-8 would be enough to really judge most accurately.
I'm afraid of what Merril Hodge said about Alex Smith on the radio.

When asked by Murph: "What do you think about Alex Smith? Does he have it to become a starting QB in the NFL?"

Hodge: "No"

He goes on further to say that Alex is inconsistent. He said there are plays set in games where that formation pre-determines a specific type of defense and he is having trouble with executing those plays consistently. These are plays that are practiced and everything works out in the game as the play is designed in practice, yet Alex still has trouble with these types of plays.

Hodge is one VERY credible dude when it comes to breaking down film. Let us hope he is wrong.
Originally posted by Joecool:

When asked by Murph: "What do you think about Alex Smith? Does he have it to become a starting QB in the NFL?"

He goes on further to say that Alex is inconsistent. He said there are plays set in games where that formation pre-determines a specific type of defense and he is having trouble with executing those plays consistently. These are plays that are practiced and everything works out in the game as the play is designed in practice, yet Alex still has trouble with these types of plays.

Hodge is one VERY credible dude when it comes to breaking down film. Let us hope he is wrong.

Breaking down film and guessing what will happen with a players future are 2 different things
Originally posted by backontop:

Breaking down film and guessing what will happen with a players future are 2 different things

But breaking down film and determining how a play has played is very justifiable. By the way Alex has played up to this point, Hodges' points were very accurate. Alex has trouble with the simplest of plays, even when they work as designed. Remember, nonfunctional? Well, these are plays that turn out as designed meaning the way he practiced them. He needs to be more consistent with these or we don't know how long it may take him to develop. You must draw a line somewhere in terms of length of development.
Originally posted by backontop:

But breaking down film and determining how a play has played is very justifiable. By the way Alex has played up to this point, Hodges' points were very accurate. Alex has trouble with the simplest of plays, even when they work as designed. Remember, nonfunctional? Well, these are plays that turn out as designed meaning the way he practiced them. He needs to be more consistent with these or we don't know how long it may take him to develop. You must draw a line somewhere in terms of length of development.

Do you concider a new OC every year of his career "development"
Quote:
Mike Sando: My perception is that Smith needs to win a game at some point. Not just be on the winning team, but be the reason his team won.

Matt Williamson: I like Alex Smith and think he is the right guy for the job today, but he is physically limited, too. Of all the quarterbacks who have been first overall picks, he might have the worst physical skills. He is a good athlete who is very coordinated, but he is not a big, strapping guy who can throw deep out routes and throw across the field. That is OK because Josh Morgan, Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree can all be short-to-intermediate targets with occasional deep stuff. And if they are running the ball, then all is well. Frank Gore looks great.

From Sando's blog.

Agree? Disagree?

I dont really agree. I dont think he had any business going #1 overall but he certainly doesnt have the "WORST" physical skills of any #1 over alls. Certainly more mobile than Manning, Leaf, etc. Better arm than Carr. I dont think he has a significantly worse arm than Eli Manning. I agree his throws on the deep outs and across the middle were not as good before but they seemed to have improved. And if Alex Smith is "physically limited" that what does that make Shaun Hill? (Not trying to bash Hill, I'm just trying to figure out if this guy thinks everyone should be like Big Ben or...?)

Again, I dont think Smith should have been #1 overall but I just dont agree with this assesment competely.

49ers vs Green Bay - Notes from Sando's blog

Matt Barrows interview with Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy all but admits that they were wrong about how they brought in Alex and that Rodgers benefitted from sitting. Which some of us thinks makes sense and some call an "Alexcuse". Whatever.

Interview
In the short time he has played this season... C-
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Matt Barrows interview with Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. McCarthy all but admits that they were wrong about how they brought in Alex and that Rodgers benefitted from sitting. Which some of us thinks makes sense and some call an "Alexcuse". Whatever.

Interview

He's been sitting for two seasons now, and is in his 5th year of the NFL. So at this point, all that is irrelevent for judging how he is playing this season.
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Interview

He's been sitting for two seasons now, and is in his 5th year of the NFL. So at this point, all that is irrelevent for judging how he is playing this season.

sitting for 2 years yes, same OC no.

fail
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Interview

Less relevant, but not irrelevant.
Share 49ersWebzone