Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I gave him a B by using LOGIC....what kind of chart are you using to not give him a B?

here's a lesson for you.

GIVEN: Smith has the worst OL in football, 2 backup tackles STarting, 2 Horrible Guards, NO time to throw......and still has 6 td's and ONLY 6 int's is great. PUT BRADY, MANNING, and you other great qb's behind OUR OL, they would not do much better.

this concludes the lesson

What a joke. Your "lesson" is flawed because Rodgers is playing with a WORSE offensive line and is putting up better numbers. So if Rodgers can put up great numbers with a worse oline than ours, then what would Brady and Manning do behind our piece of s**t line ?

Lesson over...........

You compare a guy that was brought into the NFL in an ideal situation with someone that was thrown into the grinder, with a different OC every single year, on a worse team. Your logic fails you once again. Hill is done bro, get over it. The only way he ever starts again for the niners is injuries. But you know more than the coaches making the decisions...right?

As I stated above, why do you use Hill as a standard to compare Smith. Everyone's acknowledged that Hill isnt the future; I dont think anyone thought that for one second. He was only a bridge until we could find the next legit guy. You guys think that Smith is the future. So use someone that has credentials when measuring him up. Why Hill ?

because it is clear you are upset that Hill isn't the starting QB anymore.

As Ive said multiple times, I dont wat Hill as starter. As in 2007, when Hill came in and played well..........everyone started making excuses that Hostler changed the playbook and opened up the offense, which he didnt do for Smith/Dilfer. I dont want to hear this crap again. Alex is flushing himself down the toilet right before our eyes. In 3 games so far, he threw 3 INTs in potential game winning drives to help us lose, and the last game.........our coaching staff didnt dare let him throw the ball when he needed to. I think that says enough about what the confidence level in him is.......

you say you don't want Hill as the starter but it is clear you are still upset he got benched over the better option in Smith.

No Im upset that people still think Smith can lead us to a championship. I think he's wasted 4 years for this franchise already, and i dont want a solid defensive unit and a good TE/RB tandem to go to waste. I dont want Ninerbrass to waste precious time waiting for the kid to develop, meanwhile our good players continue to age and get past their prime. I dont want star players like Willis and Gore to get disenchanted and decide to move on to better teams where they have a chance to win. This is what upsets me. We could have gone a long way this season. Unfortunately, we put all our marbles into the Hill/Smith basket. For Hill, I can understand because he came off a strong season towards the end of 2008. But we already knew what to expect from Smith, yet we decided not to address the issue in the offseason, and now look whats happened ? We went from 3-1 heading for division champs to holding on to dear life for a wildcard berth, and in between we've lost to two average to poor teams....

Here you go again with your wild assumptions and exaggerations. Smith has only played in 34 games...not four seasons by a long shot. You assume we were headed for a division championship with Hill...really...I mean really...do you honestly believe that? Listen man, the guys that know a lot more about football then either of us put the best player out there. In case you do not remember Hill was not even able to move the ball when he finally got pulled, not only that, but his lack of arm was killing the running game. We were facing stacked fronts consistently, that is why he had to go.

Funny, those same guys dont want Smith to have the ball in his hands when the game's on the line. Ironic, isnt it ?

wow you have direct contact with the 49ers front office and they directly told you they do not want the ball in Smith's hands. The issue is that Singletary's game plan is to manage the TOP and hope you can still win in the end.
  • ZRF80
For the people that gave him a B, what kind of assessment chart do you use ? Im asuming you have Brady, Manning, and Favre slotted in as an A. Are you telling me that Alex is playing one tier below them at this time ?

I gave him a B by using LOGIC....what kind of chart are you using to not give him a B?

here's a lesson for you.

GIVEN: Smith has the worst OL in football, 2 backup tackles STarting, 2 Horrible Guards, NO time to throw......and still has 6 td's and ONLY 6 int's is great. PUT BRADY, MANNING, and you other great qb's behind OUR OL, they would not do much better.

What a joke. Your "lesson" is flawed because Rodgers is playing with a WORSE offensive line and is putting up better numbers. So if Rodgers can put up great numbers with a worse oline than ours, then what would Brady and Manning do behind our piece of s**t line ?

Lesson over...........

You compare a guy that was brought into the NFL in an ideal situation with someone that was thrown into the grinder, with a different OC every single year, on a worse team. Your logic fails you once again. Hill is done bro, get over it. The only way he ever starts again for the niners is injuries. But you know more than the coaches making the decisions...right?

As I stated above, why do you use Hill as a standard to compare Smith. Everyone's acknowledged that Hill isnt the future; I dont think anyone thought that for one second. He was only a bridge until we could find the next legit guy. You guys think that Smith is the future. So use someone that has credentials when measuring him up. Why Hill ?

As Ive said multiple times, I dont wat Hill as starter. As in 2007, when Hill came in and played well..........everyone started making excuses that Hostler changed the playbook and opened up the offense, which he didnt do for Smith/Dilfer. I dont want to hear this crap again. Alex is flushing himself down the toilet right before our eyes. In 3 games so far, he threw 3 INTs in potential game winning drives to help us lose, and the last game.........our coaching staff didnt dare let him throw the ball when he needed to. I think that says enough about what the confidence level in him is.......

you say you don't want Hill as the starter but it is clear you are still upset he got benched over the better option in Smith.

No Im upset that people still think Smith can lead us to a championship. I think he's wasted 4 years for this franchise already, and i dont want a solid defensive unit and a good TE/RB tandem to go to waste. I dont want Ninerbrass to waste precious time waiting for the kid to develop, meanwhile our good players continue to age and get past their prime. I dont want star players like Willis and Gore to get disenchanted and decide to move on to better teams where they have a chance to win. This is what upsets me. We could have gone a long way this season. Unfortunately, we put all our marbles into the Hill/Smith basket. For Hill, I can understand because he came off a strong season towards the end of 2008. But we already knew what to expect from Smith, yet we decided not to address the issue in the offseason, and now look whats happened ? We went from 3-1 heading for division champs to holding on to dear life for a wildcard berth, and in between we've lost to two average to poor teams....

Here you go again with your wild assumptions and exaggerations. Smith has only played in 34 games...not four seasons by a long shot. You assume we were headed for a division championship with Hill...really...I mean really...do you honestly believe that? Listen man, the guys that know a lot more about football then either of us put the best player out there. In case you do not remember Hill was not even able to move the ball when he finally got pulled, not only that, but his lack of arm was killing the running game. We were facing stacked fronts consistently, that is why he had to go.

Funny, those same guys dont want Smith to have the ball in his hands when the game's on the line. Ironic, isnt it ?

wow you have direct contact with the 49ers front office and they directly told you they do not want the ball in Smith's hands. The issue is that Singletary's game plan is to manage the TOP and hope you can still win in the end.

Sure...whatever gets you through the day buddy........
  • ZRF80

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

All that says is that they trust the defense more than the offense. He has the ball in his hands every single snap that isn't a wildcat by the way.

Yeah, Im sure thats exactly what it means..........

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

Sure...whatever gets you through the day buddy........

is that not the idiology that Singletary coaches by???
How about a rest on the Smith threads. They are so freakin boring and all the same and he still... hasn't....

Never mind...

here's a lesson for you.

Lesson over...........

What is funny (even pathetic) is how you ignore the fact that he is the starter, which means they do want the ball in his hands, man you are grasping...looking more and more desperate with every post.
Who gave Smitty an A?

B-.

I thought he played decently against the Bears. I just want him to throw the ball downfield with confidence, like he did in the first two games.
You put an above average o-line in front of him, a 2nd year under the same OC and loosen the leash, I think he can be a good QB.
32% with a B rating....

so you have some QBs that you would expect have "A" grades, like Tom Brady, Payton Manning, Drew Brees.....maybe (this year's) Bret Farve

other "B" grades are apparently for Warner, Carlson Palmer, Eli Manning, Big Ben, McNabb, Matt Shaub, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco Phillip Rivers etc.....and of course Alex Smith.

"C" grades for Gerrard, Matt Cassel, (so far Vince Young) and some others..

seems about right....

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 17, 2009 at 4:07 PM ]

I'll play along but I think it is premature grading Alex right now. What I will say is that I am pleased with Alex's progress, when compared to his pre-injury performances.

In the past, his indecision seemed to arise from a cautiousness, a determination not to make a mistake. That may have partly been his nature and partly from what he was coached to do: Manage the game, do not turn it over.

I see him playing much faster now, with a greater willingness to take some risks. This is progress. If he can have some success, he will play with more confidence, and will hopefully evolve into a proper balance of aggressiveness and carefulness.
C+ to B-
C.

Better than the old Alex but not where we would want him to be yet.
Originally posted by luv49rs:
F
I say a D because of the fact that he threw too many picks. Especially the game ending picks. Those are inexcusable.
Share 49ersWebzone