LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 306 users in the forums

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Rate Alex Smith on his QB play

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Needs to stop forcing the ball into covered recievers and improve on his accuracy. Besides that, he's still just an average Qb.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Needs to stop forcing the ball into covered recievers and improve on his accuracy. Besides that, he's still just an average Qb.

He's in the 60% range this year and there have been drops on the part of the WRs so I think he's doing pretty good on the accuracy department.

I do agree that he can throw high at times but since he's hitting WRs at a 60% clip I think so far things are going much better than I thought they would with the crappy oline we have.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
The more n more I think about it, alex smith is gonna turn out to be a bust, he's not very good. I wish there was a drew brees in fa we could get. I think tebow, mccoy, and bradford are sucky.

The problem with Alex has always been the crappy situation he was placed in from the start.

We SUCKED and had no players in 06. Why the 9ers started a rookie QB on that team is still beyond my understanding. We did well in his second year and then got hurt.

All the while the 9ers are changing OCs all the time. He's on his fifth one I believe.

Third year he got hurt so he's missed the last two years. In that time could he sit and learn a new offense? No. We keep on changing OCs. Now he's playing for the first time since year two.

Is he a bust? No. Anyone saying that doesn't know the history of Alex and the 9ers or football in general. We have the rest of the season to see how he plays.

dude, i used to think just like you. but there comes a point where there are just soooooooo many excuses why he hasn't panned out. frankly, its frustrating because he has all the tools to necessary. he's smart, athletic, smart/intelligent/bight, humble, nice...everything you could want in a young qb.

i just don't see him playing much longer for the 49ers.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:

He's in the 60% range this year and there have been drops on the part of the WRs so I think he's doing pretty good on the accuracy department.

I do agree that he can throw high at times but since he's hitting WRs at a 60% clip I think so far things are going much better than I thought they would with the crappy oline we have.

Yeah, even if he had more time to throw, I think he would still have his share of over throws and complete misses. He's just not a very good passer so far. If he can show differently then I'll change my tune.
The more n more I think about it, alex smith is gonna turn out to be a bust, he's not very good. I wish there was a drew brees in fa we could get. I think tebow, mccoy, and bradford are sucky.

The problem with Alex has always been the crappy situation he was placed in from the start.

We SUCKED and had no players in 06. Why the 9ers started a rookie QB on that team is still beyond my understanding. We did well in his second year and then got hurt.

All the while the 9ers are changing OCs all the time. He's on his fifth one I believe.

Third year he got hurt so he's missed the last two years. In that time could he sit and learn a new offense? No. We keep on changing OCs. Now he's playing for the first time since year two.

Is he a bust? No. Anyone saying that doesn't know the history of Alex and the 9ers or football in general. We have the rest of the season to see how he plays.

dude, i used to think just like you. but there comes a point where there are just soooooooo many excuses why he hasn't panned out. frankly, its frustrating because he has all the tools to necessary. he's smart, athletic, smart/intelligent/bight, humble, nice...everything you could want in a young qb.

i just don't see him playing much longer for the 49ers.

Two years off and your ready to move on after 3 starts?
  • titan
  • Veteran
C+
Originally posted by titan:
C+

agreed slightly better than average but i think with a decent OL he would be a B
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Wow either Alex Smith voted for himself as being rated as A, or his wife did.

A
or even B =

C

D

Past two games he looked liked his old self again, also stared down his receivers, looked timid in the backfield, even when there wasn't any pressure. So far, he started strong but is quickly running out of gas. We need to get some new QB's in here ASAP.

at anyone who thinks changing QBs is going to do much with the way the OL has been playing.

LOL you act like we cannot improve the O-line and get a new QB at the same time??

Its like you think the only player we can get in the off-season is a QB and that's it.

Of course I want to fix the OL, but I think after this season Smith needs to go. Sure, part of his career has been unfortunate, but this is the NFL, there are no excuses, either produce or be gone. If I were Smith, I'd ask to be released and go where either an offensive HC is or where Norv Turner will be or where Mike Shanahan ends up.
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Shout out to all the Smith fans! Embarrassing!

It's a QB's world in today's NFL

He's lower than Russell!!

never heard of the guy therefore I wouldn't really consider him a credible source. The jury is still out on Smith.

It's in alphabetical order btw

I'd get my money back from those Hooked On Phonics courses if I were you:

M. Bulger (STL)
J. Delhomme (CAR)
J. Campbell (WSH)
T. Edwards (BUF)
V. Young (TEN)
B. Quinn (CLE)
J. Russell (OAK)
A. Smith (SF)

Originally posted by bigmike55:

That's pretty bad if Smith is at the bottom, of the bottom. Pretty much he's saying Smith is the worst starting QB in the league right now.

That's not really what they are saying... The writer didn't even bother to rank his "bust" status because everybody outside this organization realizes he has been a bust except for us!

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

That's pretty bad if Smith is at the bottom, of the bottom. Pretty much he's saying Smith is the worst starting QB in the league right now.

Then he doesn't know jack s**t. I'd take Smith over that douche Cutler.

I agree, but only because of the attitude. Cutler ran the 2nd best offense last year with the Broncos and has much more talent than Smith! I couldn't believe how Cutler reacted after he threw each of those ints against us! Its as if he didn't give a s**t about throwing the game away! There is something going on behind those doors in Chicago and it will come out eventually.
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
Wow either Alex Smith voted for himself as being rated as A, or his wife did.

A
or even B =

C

D

Past two games he looked liked his old self again, also stared down his receivers, looked timid in the backfield, even when there wasn't any pressure. So far, he started strong but is quickly running out of gas. We need to get some new QB's in here ASAP.

I agree with the bolded and the rating!
According to their play right now. Alex is ahead of both Cutler and JaMarcus. I don't see anything funny about this...

THE TRUTH
Originally posted by Goldtimer:
According to their play right now. Alex is ahead of both Cutler and JaMarcus. I don't see anything funny about this...

THE TRUTH

These are just the same old Smith bashers taking an article by a guy that obviously doesn't know what the hell he is talking about and running with it like it is fact. They don't have the guys ranked, they are randomly placed in each category by some random sportswriter on Fox Sports, based solely on his opinion.
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

THE TRUTH

Look, we all want Alex to improve but look at what we have dumbed down to.

We have now went away from comparing Smith to Vince Young because Young is helping his team get wins. So, now we go to the next set of QBs who are having a crap year.

Each year it has been different QBs. Don't you see a pattern? We keep comparing Smith to the next crap play from QB flavor of the month. Hmm, why haven't we compared Alex to at least the 2nd quarter level of QBs?

...maybe because it's obvious that Alex is STILL playing in the bottom quarter level of QBs?
Share 49ersWebzone