LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Alex with an offseason as the starter

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He needs to solidify himself as a starter in the remaining games first. If he doesn't cast away all doubts in those remaining games, this football team has it's head up it's ass if they don't look for alternatives for starter.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
I think it's obvious the team doesn't see Smith as the long term answer. Signed him to a lower contract amount, they tried to sign Warner, they start Hill and then when they have to make a change, they go with Smith. The 2010 draft will have too many talented QB's to pass on and I don't think there are many talented veteran QB's hitting FA this off-season.
So many of you are anxious to dump Alex and bring in another QB, either as a FA or a draftee. Consider the ratings of the following QBs, many of whom you would have at one time jumped at the chance of bringing in:
Derek Anderson 36.2
Mathew Stafford (Rookie) 59.6
Mark Sanchez (Rookie) 66.5
Matt Cassell 75.3
Jay Cutler 76.0
Matt Ryan 78.8
Matt Hasselback 82.2

You would have danced for joy had the 9ers drafted either of the top two QBs: Stafford (59.6) or Sanchez (66.5). How do they compare to Alex's rookie rating?

So don't be so quick to think that getting a top flight QB is easy.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
He needs to solidify himself as a starter in the remaining games first. If he doesn't cast away all doubts in those remaining games, this football team has it's head up it's ass if they don't look for alternatives for starter.

it would help if we have OLineman that could solidify themselves as starters in the league in general
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Let's just get one thing straight. Can we stop with the, Alex hasn't played for so many years or Alex just needs time with the new weapons...

It is his 5th year.

Shaun Hill rode the bench for 5 years so should we say he needs two years as a starter to get his arm back into it? No one said that!

Alex is improving his stats, which is good but it all comes down to wins. He needs to show something NOW because his contract is not very long and our front office and coaches will need to make a decision this offseason to commit to this kid who has only one year left and hasn't shown much or to install Nate Davis into the plans or to draft a new one.

Alex doesn't have much time so he better produce wins fast because he's playing against some crappy teams...crappy teams...remember that was the reason why Shaun Hill has a winning percentage. Well, it's Alex's turn so let us see if he can do what Hill did after 5 years of sitting. However, Alex has an advantage, he only sat out 2 years.

Brotha cool, i new ur smith hatin ass was out there. Nah, just messin wit ya brotha. I look at it like this, the main problem with our fans, is they want to include, and exclude certain details to meet their mindset. And thats all fine and good, but i do love it when those that know football, that work for the game, play the game, commentate on the game, and handle most interviews, INCLUDE all the facts that even you yourself admit too.

I mean he played after rattay, started full season, went 2-1 (now from 06-07, damn his best season, like any rookie, then started 2-1. Ok now from there injured almost 2 years.

My issue Cool is why are you still talkin bout Hill brotha. U were one of many drinkin the HIll coolaid from last season till now, and i have looked for a few HIll fans on game days like crzy, brotha Afrik, PRIMET, and a few others. And maybe not you, but they only come out, when there's a missed pass, overthrow, or etc. when it's something good, very minimal.

Even i remember when Hill was first pulled, on the real we couldnt even find you for a few days. lol.

I just say, This thread is Alex, offseason, starter. Maybe we can keep it on that subject, cuz Hill is no more:)

And the worst case is Smith comes back next year, and he and Davis battle, that is only if he struggles in the remainding games. I mean s**t dont ya'll finally wanna see continuity. Or do most of you just cant let go of your personal bias, and follow the team regardless if you like all the personnel decisions or not.

Well Smith has been struggling for the past couple games, so yea - I'd like to see the most physically gifted QB on our roster in Davis get a shot at the starting gig.

Actually the team has been struggling, the offensive line is just plain bad, so the offense is not going to be good no matter who is taking the snaps.

We definetely need to get this o-line taken care off this offseason.

You didn't know? The QB makes the OLine. Well that is what some people think around here.

Tell that to GB and NE. Brett Favre leaves a team that went to the NFC Championship game and they can't even make the playoffs next year. In fact, the year after, their offensive line is now dismal.

He goes to the Jets and gets them rolling until he gets hurt. Now the Jets suck bad.

Drew Bledsoe was always one of the most sacked QBs in the league but Brady takes over and makes the team look great. Romo takes over and their OL begins to work wonders.

Confidence in the QB is HUGE when it comes to how a team plays, including the OL.

It is nowhere near the most important thing, not even remotely close. These guys are payed professionals playing for their jobs, if they quit trying because the QB struggles, they need to be gone even more than the QB. It is widely known that your offense will only go as far as your line will take you. You are the only person I have ever heard claim otherwise.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Nov 20, 2009 at 2:15 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Let's just get one thing straight. Can we stop with the, Alex hasn't played for so many years or Alex just needs time with the new weapons...

It is his 5th year.

Shaun Hill rode the bench for 5 years so should we say he needs two years as a starter to get his arm back into it? No one said that!

Alex is improving his stats, which is good but it all comes down to wins. He needs to show something NOW because his contract is not very long and our front office and coaches will need to make a decision this offseason to commit to this kid who has only one year left and hasn't shown much or to install Nate Davis into the plans or to draft a new one.

Alex doesn't have much time so he better produce wins fast because he's playing against some crappy teams...crappy teams...remember that was the reason why Shaun Hill has a winning percentage. Well, it's Alex's turn so let us see if he can do what Hill did after 5 years of sitting. However, Alex has an advantage, he only sat out 2 years.

Brotha cool, i new ur smith hatin ass was out there. Nah, just messin wit ya brotha. I look at it like this, the main problem with our fans, is they want to include, and exclude certain details to meet their mindset. And thats all fine and good, but i do love it when those that know football, that work for the game, play the game, commentate on the game, and handle most interviews, INCLUDE all the facts that even you yourself admit too.

I mean he played after rattay, started full season, went 2-1 (now from 06-07, damn his best season, like any rookie, then started 2-1. Ok now from there injured almost 2 years.

My issue Cool is why are you still talkin bout Hill brotha. U were one of many drinkin the HIll coolaid from last season till now, and i have looked for a few HIll fans on game days like crzy, brotha Afrik, PRIMET, and a few others. And maybe not you, but they only come out, when there's a missed pass, overthrow, or etc. when it's something good, very minimal.

Even i remember when Hill was first pulled, on the real we couldnt even find you for a few days. lol.

I just say, This thread is Alex, offseason, starter. Maybe we can keep it on that subject, cuz Hill is no more:)

And the worst case is Smith comes back next year, and he and Davis battle, that is only if he struggles in the remainding games. I mean s**t dont ya'll finally wanna see continuity. Or do most of you just cant let go of your personal bias, and follow the team regardless if you like all the personnel decisions or not.

Well Smith has been struggling for the past couple games, so yea - I'd like to see the most physically gifted QB on our roster in Davis get a shot at the starting gig.

Actually the team has been struggling, the offensive line is just plain bad, so the offense is not going to be good no matter who is taking the snaps.

We definetely need to get this o-line taken care off this offseason.

You didn't know? The QB makes the OLine. Well that is what some people think around here.

Tell that to GB and NE. Brett Favre leaves a team that went to the NFC Championship game and they can't even make the playoffs next year. In fact, the year after, their offensive line is now dismal.

He goes to the Jets and gets them rolling until he gets hurt. Now the Jets suck bad.

Drew Bledsoe was always one of the most sacked QBs in the league but Brady takes over and makes the team look great. Romo takes over and their OL begins to work wonders.

Confidence in the QB is HUGE when it comes to how a team plays, including the OL.

It is nowhere near the most important thing, not even remotely close. These guys are payed professionals playing for their jobs, if they quit trying because the QB struggles, they need to be gone even more than the QB. It is widely known that your offense will only go as far as your line will take you. You are the only person I have ever heard claim otherwise.

This isn't to hard to believe.
Originally posted by JoeO321:
I think that the sky is the limit if Alex actually got a whole offseason to work as the starter. Working with Crabtree, Morgan, and Vernon everyday over the summer could boost this franchise. Developing a better rythm with Crabtree could be all we need for Alex to finally reach his enormous potential.

It is hard for me to believe that people still think Alex Smith is going to turn into a good quarterback. I know he has had all the O coordinators, injuries etc...But cmon'
man. When have you ever said "Wow, Alex Smith had a GREAT GAME". He might look good on a two min drive, or look good for a half, but he is not the answer.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I think that the sky is the limit if Alex actually got a whole offseason to work as the starter. Working with Crabtree, Morgan, and Vernon everyday over the summer could boost this franchise. Developing a better rythm with Crabtree could be all we need for Alex to finally reach his enormous potential.

It is hard for me to believe that people still think Alex Smith is going to turn into a good quarterback. I know he has had all the O coordinators, injuries etc...But cmon'
man. When have you ever said "Wow, Alex Smith had a GREAT GAME". He might look good on a two min drive, or look good for a half, but he is not the answer.

Did you say the same thing about Vernon Davis a couple years ago? Just curious.
Originally posted by B650:

A lot of people said that VD was not the answer. They also said that Bear Pascoe was the answer. Look how that turned out. Those same people also said that Hill was the answer. Again look how that turned out
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

A lot of people said that VD was not the answer. They also said that Bear Pascoe was the answer. Look how that turned out. Those same people also said that Hill was the answer. Again look how that turned out

......and is Smith the answer??

Well there you have it.

I say Alex IS the answer for two important reasons:

1. He is not a Jay Cutler type, which is good. He will be less likely to lose games with high risk foolishness, and many games are won by NOT LOSING them!

2. Dumping him means you will have to find a replacement. So, how do you do that? I am asking those who think answers are easy. Look at the ratings of the top two QBs drafted this year - Stafford and Sanchez - not very impressive, are they? Then look at some of the former FAs that some of you lusted after - Anderson, Cassell - not very good either.

It is not easy to come up with an exceptional QB in this league, and even he needs help from a solid OC, a good OL and good WRs.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Well there you have it.

I think you need to shake it again because the answer should be "ask again later"

It is his 5th year.

Alex is improving his stats, which is good but it all comes down to wins. He needs to show something NOW because his contract is not very long and our front office and coaches will need to make a decision this offseason to committ to this kid who has only one year left and hasn't shown much or to instal Nate Davis into the plans or to draft a new one.

it may be his 5th year BUT this is only the 3rd year he has played.he did spend 2 years on the sideline.

Well there you have it.

I think you need to shake it again because the answer should be "ask again later"

Yup, or “Cannot predict now.”

BTW, "No Way" is not one of the twenty Magic 8 Ball standard answers.
[ Edited by fzrdave on Nov 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by fzrdave:

Well there you have it.

Yup, or “Cannot predict now.”

BTW, "No Way" is not one of the twenty Magic 8 Ball standard answers.

Smith haters can't even get that right and they want everyone else to believe they are right about Smith being a bust.
Share 49ersWebzone