There are 247 users in the forums

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

DRAFT COLT MCCOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by calinig4life:
smith is coo in all buuut if we had a all-pro line then i want to see what nate davis would do behind it. i think he has even more upside then smith.

He could make 10 Pro bowls in 7 years if he were starting!!!!!!

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Let me put it this way. I would rather have an all pro offensive line and Smith as the starter than an all pro QB with our offensive line right now.

Well put.

I'd certainly wouldn't mind giving him the chance. Let Nate Davis to learn some more and get him in there when he's good and ready.

Smith isn't terrible but the coaches need to let him throw the ball.

This
I'm in favor of bringing him back, over Shaun Hill, but not as a guaranteed starter. If he is willing to compete next year with Nate Davis and another QB that we may draft, sure.

Alex Smith has really gotten a bad deal during his tenure with the 49ers, but the fact that he still hasn't shown enough in 5 years doesn't speak well for him.

I want the better QB out of those 3 (Smith/Davis/Drafted QB) to start behind a better offensive line next year.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm in favor of bringing him back, over Shaun Hill, but not as a guaranteed starter. If he is willing to compete next year with Nate Davis and another QB that we may draft, sure.

Alex Smith has really gotten a bad deal during his tenure with the 49ers, but the fact that he still hasn't shown enough in 5 years doesn't speak well for him.

I want the better QB out of those 3 (Smith/Davis/Drafted QB) to start behind a better offensive line next year.

We have to fix the line before we draft another quarterback, or it will be a waste of time and a draft pick.
ZrF , for asking a pretty basic question, that better already be answered, you are taking a lot of shots. Anybody who wants another Qb BEFORE we have the OL fixed is dingy. Haven't you guys been paying attn to a line that doesn't block? And didn't those of you wanting a new qB first notice our OL getting Alex hurt, shaun hurt and Jto hurt? C'mon guys, it is a basic football tenet(except with the york/noln/ mcClown/ 49ers) that you have to build an OL BEFORE you bring in a QB, so you can protect one once you get him. For the last 5 yrs the new owners and GMs/ HCs have had it backwards. QBs get no protection, they get hurt, they miss seasons, and still...still, we haven't addressed the crap OL.

POint a finger wherever you want, but this is a GMs responsibility, and it is frankly Clown's fault we are where we are. And here's the really crappy thing. We are 5 yrs into Alexdom, and NOBODY knows if the kid is any good or not. That is incredibly stupid, to have a #1 pick in the draft, and 5 yrs later have no idea what he can do. All you alex haters, how in world can you say he is a bust when he never had a decent coach(Norv was VERY mediocre),and the rest were awful. There has not been one QB coach of merit, and OC? That is a major league joke, with little to no talent plus a new one each yr. I submit no QB today would have succeeded under those circumstances.

Do i want to draft my LONGHORN QB, Colt mcCoy? You bet. Would I? No way, because without fixing the OL first, mcCoy would just get injured, and we wouldn't know if he was good or not until we got an OL that blocks. Another point is, i don't want to blow either of our #1 picks on a qb until we have 2 OL starters drafted, and anothet OL starter in FA. That's right, 3 THREE starters on the OL are needed. When you put it like that, it is virtually impossible to do anything else but get our OL first....then see what our QB can do. If alex flames out with a great OL, then he needs to go. Until then, he stays.

My bet? McClown, or just clown, somehow drafts BPA and gets us a great deal on a safety , and then gets us a FB. Do i trust clown? As a chooser of talent, yes. As a GM, he needs to go ASAP, and waiting for next yr is too late. I don't trust him to do the right thing, altho he may be a good judge of talent(ie , a good scout). As for being in charge of building the team, managing the HC, overseeing asst coaches, seeing to it that the QB gets good individual coaching, clown gets the big F-.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
so when can we start blaming saint alex

NEVER! That would be blasphemy.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

It's funny how all the Alex haters are the ones using those terms. I haven't seen one Alex supporter on here claiming anything of that sort.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

It's funny how all the Alex haters are the ones using those terms. I haven't seen one Alex supporter on here claiming anything of that sort.

Excuse me, I'm a Smith and Hill hater, they both are equally bad but in different ways. Thanks Scot! I also seriously doubt Scot could build an AllPro line with 5 first rounders and 100m in cap space.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 15, 2009 at 13:45:17 ]
Put down the pipe kid.....

Excuse me, I'm a Smith and Hill hater, they both are equally bad but in different ways. Thanks Scot! I also seriously doubt Scot could build an AllPro line with 5 first rounders and 100m in cap space.

What's your point.

What's your point.
All this Smith/Hill arguing is pointless because neither is very good and we have no Oline thanks to Scot and Nolan. Sorry for venting, this team has meant so much to me and still does but the current front office is just sad.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 15, 2009 at 14:17:29 ]
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Let me ask you...who would you want as QB instead of Alex?

Yes , after that multi paragraph piss and moan about the misery that is Alex Smith at QB , there is no mention of an alternative, I'm all for replacing Smith but only with someone better and right now I don't know who that would be
Open Competition!
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by calinig4life:
smith is coo in all buuut if we had a all-pro line then i want to see what nate davis would do behind it. i think he has even more upside then smith.

He could make 10 Pro bowls in 7 years if he were starting!!!!!!

excuse me hater for having my own opinion & not wanting to do what u or n-e-one else wants to do. i was all for smith in the beginning but I don't think that he has it in him. i( again HATER!! my opinion) like what i saw in davis in the preseason. one mo thing, i never said he was a pro bowler or a future h.o.f'er, i just like what i saw from him & think he could do better than smith.
Share 49ersWebzone