LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

With an All-Pro Offensive Line Next Year, Do You Want Smith as Starter ?

alex is a smart Qb i think if he has 3 or more seconds in pocket he should make the right throw

he is doing pretty good for a person who has yet another OC (crappy playcaller 2) ban o line where our best o line is injured and that he hasnt played a snap in 2 years i
If there is a holdout in 2011, then Alex has an entire year to learn the playbook and another 2 offseasons... championship!
Who can say? I think we will only know after this year is done. He has improved since the last time we saw him starting, he is smart and has a very good work ethic, so anyone that says he cannot improve further with work and experience is just being ignorant.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Having an All-Pro offensive line with Alex Smith under center would be such a giant WASTE.
Where is the "let's see how he does this year" option? I don't want to see him ever start again, if he doesn't show us something to be proud of this year. If the season were over today, I would say draft a QB, fortunately, AS has 7 more games to prove what he is made of...
Originally posted by ZRF80:

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by crzy:
Having an All-Pro offensive line with Alex Smith under center would be such a giant WASTE.

Just like having one of the best defenses in the league this year is..........
Originally posted by ZRF80:
It's obvious that are o-line stinks (to say the least) at multiple levels. And Sing has acknowledged it, so we can assume that the problem will be addressed this offseason.

So, lets say that our o-line issues are solved, and we now boast one of the best offensive lines in the NFL in 2010.

Would you be willing to go into next season with Alex Smith as starter with Shaun Hill backing him up ? I mean, the majority of Smith supporters here think he is Montana reincarnate, and he only needs protection to excel and become a probowler.

In 2005, it was ok for him to suck because he was just a rookie and didnt have the supporting cast.

In 2006, it was ok because he didnt have the receivers, and despite having a great oline (and Gore breaking the Niner rushing record), he was still learning a new system under Turner.....so you couldnt blame him for not playing up to par.

In 2007, Alex was probably going to surpass Dan Marino's TD passing record, but unfortunately he injured his shoulder. Cant blame him for that; it was all Nolan's fault, and who could forget Jim Hostler, who purposefully sabotaged Alex by calling fluke plays and making sure he failed. And then when Hill took over, Hostler opened up the "real" playbook so that Hill could succeed and look like an authentic QB.

In 2008, Alex was recovering from a shoulder injury. Cant blame him for that, so all the criticisms he got from guys like Martz, etc. are invalid. Anyways, why would we listen to Martz ? He doesnt know football, and thats why he's sitting at home today watching tv. Of course, you cant expect a guy recovering from injury to actually spend time LEARNING how to play the game. Thats expecting too much.

In 2009, we cant blame Alex, because coach Sing doesnt trust him enough. How can you showcase Smith's "Montanaish" arm when your coach decides to run the ball in the 4th quarter 9 straight times ? Clearly, Sing doesnt know football, and if he had half a clue, he would have let Alex throw his way to victory, kind of like what Hill did against Zona, Seattle, Minn (almost), and St.Louis. What Sing doesnt realize is that every week is a different story. Just because Smith threw 2 INTs on our 2 final drives against the worst ranked defense in the NFL (Tenn) last week doesnt mean he would have done the same against Chicago. If anything, chances are that Smith (if given the chance) would have thrown for 4 TDs at least and we wouldve crushed Chicago with a bigger margin.

With that said, IF our entire offseason is spent revamping the o-line, and we do succeed in it..........are you willing to give Smith another shot as starter next season ? And to show your confidence in Smith's ability, are you willing to give him that shot with Hill and Davis as are backups ?

i agree and disagree... we need alex to show us that it is the o lines fault.. he needs to make some plays down the stretch of the season and win some gamess.. if he can have 2 or 3 300 yd passing games and above .500 wn pct i think hell stay for a while
Yeah I would. Our offensive line right now is garbage, everyone saying Smith sucks but Shaun Hill was doing the exact same thing except his lack of an arm f**ked over the running game too. Bottom line is without Staley especially, our OL CANNOT pass protect. Guards aren't very good, we're missing our 2 starting OTs, and so we can't protect the QB. Atleast Smith got the win.
All of the great teams have an elite QB without an elite qb which Smith is seemingly not going to end up as we need to adress that issue in order to be succesfull. We need to adress OT through he draft to put snyder on the bench. He continously gets beat and has give a ton of sacks so much for wanting continuity Adam. Too bad Marvel Smith could not get his back healthy he would have been better than snyder.

No,

it make no difference. Once the OLINE is fixed then we will be crying about something else in relation to the offense. Let's go out and get someone in the draft who can compete or replaced Alex. I am tired of the same limited offensive scheme year in and year out. I am not opposed to him being a backup but not our future starter. Alex is limited in my opinion, he still does not have the intangibles that a pro bowl QB needs to have and for this offense to really flourish. When I look at the likes of Matt Ryan in Atlanta and Philip Rivers, man it is not even close. This offense has been offensiveto most of us Niner fans long enough I think it is time to move in another direction.

Originally posted by kelpie70:
No,

it make no difference. Once the OLINE is fixed then we will be crying about something else in relation to the offense. Let's go out and get someone in the draft who can compete or replaced Alex. I am tired of the same limited offensive scheme year in and year out. I am not opposed to him being a backup but not our future starter. Alex is limited in my opinion, he still does not have the intangibles that a pro bowl QB needs to have and for this offense to really flourish. When I look at the likes of Matt Ryan in Atlanta and Philip Rivers, man it is not even close. This offense has been offensiveto most of us Niner fans long enough I think it is time to move in another direction.

how do you know it makes no difference if it hasnt happened yet you cant kick the guy out just because you think he wont produce if our o line gets better AS is probally unluckiest QB in nfl horrible o line in 06 and now right when he gets to start our best o line gets injured if we fix the o line and then he doesnt produce i agree he needs to be replaced but we need to wait first
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
No,

how do you know it makes no difference? if it hasnt happened yet, you cant kick the guy out just because you think he wont produce. if our o line gets better AS is probally unluckiest QB in nfl. horrible o line in 06, and now right when he gets to start our best o line gets injured. if we fix the o line and then he doesnt produce, i agree, he needs to be replaced, but we need to wait first

Fixed. Don't want fellow members having aneurysms after reading this.

[ Edited by B650 on Nov 14, 2009 at 15:00:53 ]
No,

Do you not recognize that Ryan and Philips were able to start on better teams? That has a lot to do with it, not everyone has to start on as bad a team as Smith/JTO/Hill have been saddled with.
it all depends on how well he does this year
Share 49ersWebzone