LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Do Passive Fans Make a Franchise Unsuccessful ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Take a look at other franchises in the league folks. Teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, and even the Giants never go through droughts of unsuccess like we're currently having.

This statement is totally wrong.

The Dallas Cowboys had five consecutive losing seasons between 1986-1990.
The Pittsburgh Steelers had just one playoff appearance in 39 years between 1933-1972, including 29 losing seasons during that span.
The New York Giants had just two winning seasons from 1964 to 1978.

If you think losing is a result of passive fans, you really have no grasp of football history.
We now accept losing because we have become losers. There are no expectations from the majority of fans. They criticize the way Eddie D. did things. They stand up for a bumbling scout that is posing as a GM. They have given the yorks a free pass due to a couple free agent signings. They believe in the never ending 5 year plan.

The yorks know this. They know that they have successfully reduced fan expectations. All they have to do is spew some BS to pacify the majority, and then get back to work on their only real goal, which is to get a stadium built.

It's a screwed up situation and the fact that so many fans condone such a situation allows the yorks to get away with giving us this crappy product.

This year they got a motivational speaker and a marketing campaign for 2.5 million and everybody bought into it. What a deal!

"We go out there and we hit them in the mouth!" How precious.

They forgot to add, "We go out there and fail to hire quality personell.

Blow this whole thing up and start over. The fans should be enraged.
First off the Giants were irrelevant for the longest time they had the one year with Kerry Collins when they went to the Super Bowl and lost. Now they have a QB and a Championship but They had a long time of frutility until recently. WE 49ers HAVE MORE PLAYOFF WINS THIS DECADE THAN THE Cowboys. Also, the Cowboys were horrible after Switzer left, Horrible with Campo and the other guy. We are having a bad streak but it will get turned around eventually. NY AND DALLAS are 2 of the largest MArkets for SPORTS did u think of that fact!

[ Edited by lonneybyrd on Nov 11, 2009 at 10:14:08 ]
Originally posted by backontop:
no unsuccessful franchises make passive fans. Give me something to cheer about damn it!

1. We have the most admired ownership and senior management team, the envy of the league.
2. We are the one that follows a master plan with patience and dedication, the talk of the league.
3. We have the most decorated and decorative head coach, a true fan magnet.
Originally posted by jed_york:
Originally posted by backontop:
no unsuccessful franchises make passive fans. Give me something to cheer about damn it!

1. We have the most admired ownership and senior management team, the envy of the league.
2. We are the one that follows a master plan with patience and dedication, the talk of the league.
3. We have the most decorated and decorative head coach, a true fan magnet.

-9fA
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Take a look at other franchises in the league folks. Teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, and even the Giants never go through droughts of unsuccess like we're currently having.

This statement is totally wrong.

The Dallas Cowboys had five consecutive losing seasons between 1986-1990.
The Pittsburgh Steelers had just one playoff appearance in 39 years between 1933-1972, including 29 losing seasons during that span.
The New York Giants had just two winning seasons from 1964 to 1978.

If you think losing is a result of passive fans, you really have no grasp of football history.

The Cowboys and all their playoff wins......

yeah, they're really successful.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 11, 2009 at 14:10:57 ]
I am not too sure. But it does certainly seems the East has better sports franchises. And their fans are more hardcore. Go to more games; watch more games; buy more stuff; are more vocal.

So I have a hard to time believing they are not directly related.

I don't think the Eastern fans strike or anything like that, but it does seem that the owners of those franchises actively try to avoid their fanbase being too unhappy for too long.

The Yorks clearly don't care what we think. If I am not mistaken we only drafted 1 QB in the 1st round this decade. Is that right? What kind of franchise only drafts 1 QB in a decade where you are missing the playoffs annually? Stupid? I know people would like to believe that; but I know they are not stupid; they are satisfied. They are satisfied with the profits they reap and have no wish to change anything
Originally posted by danimal:
I am not too sure. But it does certainly seems the East has better sports franchises. And their fans are more hardcore. Go to more games; watch more games; buy more stuff; are more vocal.

I don't think the Eastern fans strike or anything like that, but it does seem that the owners of those franchises actively try to avoid their fanbase being too unhappy for too long.

The Yorks clearly don't care what we think. If I am not mistaken we only drafted 1 QB in the 1st round this decade. Is that right? What kind of franchise only drafts 1 QB in a decade where you are missing the playoffs annually? Stupid? I know people would like to believe that; but I know they are not stupid; they are satisfied. They are satisfied with the profits they reap and have no wish to change anything

What the hell do the Yorks have to do with drafting QBs?

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

OK you are right. Ownership has nothing to do with the decision to draft a face of the franchise type of QB

-9fA

OK you are right. Ownership has nothing to do with the decision to draft a face of the franchise type of QB

Good ownership lets the football people make the football decisions.

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

-9fA

And they let Paraag take care of all the replay challenges
Originally posted by FourNine49:

-9fA

And they let Paraag take care of all the replay challenges

This is like saying

Passive customers make products unsuccessful
Passive movie goers make movies unsuccessful

The answer is NO. Success starts from within. If the inside is rotten then it doesn't matter how many adoring fans you have, you won't be successful.

Warriors have rabid fans and its still rotten to the core.

-9fA

lets get specific then.

Who here thinks it was stupid of the 49ers to only draft 1 QB in the first round this decade while we kept losing?

If you agree that was stupid, who do you blame more? The multiple GMs who went another direction year in and year out, the multiple GM's and coaches who took too long to recognize their current QB's would never pan out...or the owner who hired said GM's and coaches?

Personally I put the blame on the owner. Ultimately you have to keep your brand relevant. I think good owners know when to intervene. And I think a good fan base and local media can help push an owner into intervention

Losing teams + lackluster effort to acquire a QB = you deserve to lose
lets get specific then.

Who here thinks it was stupid of the 49ers to only draft 1 QB in the first round this decade while we kept losing?

If you agree that was stupid, who do you blame more? The multiple GMs who went another direction year in and year out, the multiple GM's and coaches who took too long to recognize their current QB's would never pan out...or the owner who hired said GM's and coaches?

Personally I put the blame on the owner. Ultimately you have to keep your brand relevant. I think good owners know when to intervene. And I think a good fan base and local media can help push an owner into intervention

Losing teams + lackluster effort to acquire a QB = you deserve to lose

Fair questions, here's my take:

As far as player decisions are concerned, the GM takes the blame. Why? Because his job can be in jeopardy. As much as some people would like to, you can't fire an owner. Personally, I blame Terry Donahue and Mike Nolan for a lot of the problems this team has had this decade, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think media and fans can/do/should have ANY affect on what direction an owner or GM takes with a team, especially when it comes to decisions on players. The overwhelming majority of fans and media don't know nearly enough about football to make or even influence personnel decisions. Hell I'm sure that there are plenty of owners that know little more about the intricacies of football than most fans.
Share 49ersWebzone