LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

Do Passive Fans Make a Franchise Unsuccessful ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
Take a look at other franchises in the league folks. Teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, and even the Giants never go through droughts of unsuccess like we're currently having. Now, back in the hayday, one could blame the attraction of the high profile media market.......where an unsalaried cap could buy you all the players you needed to make a dominant football team (see the NY Yankees in MLB). But in today's game, all the teams in the league are on the same page (eg salary cap). So what keeps the teams I just mentioned on top of their game year in and year out, while teams like the 49ers can almost go through an entire decade winless and held unaccountable for ?

Maybe its the fans. I read through some of the threads on this forum, and it's appalling how accustomed to losing we've become as 49er fans. Mind you, I think the forum serves as a good sample population for the Niners fanbase, as the majority of you are from the city itself, not to mention that we have fans on this site of all ages that have been following the team from different eras. With that said, there was a time (at least for me) when I used to get pissed at the Niners for not beating teams with wider margins. Sometimes Id get upset if the team didnt pick up a first down on a 2nd down play. This is what I grew up with. It was a winning tradition. And somewhere along the line, we lost that tradition, which is ok.......because the NFL is designed to give every team an opportunity to win in this league.

But here we are, 7 years removed from our last playoff appearance.....2 head coaches fired in between that time.....at least 5 starting QBs throwing in that term (Brett Favre had outlasted all of them, btw), and our fans are still content with "we are still rebuilding, and rebuilding takes time". I mean, seriously ? I waste 8 months of my life every year, looking forward to the regular season, hoping that "this is it" and that the team will finally turn around and amke an impact in the league. And I get the same results each and every time. And instead of me (and my fellow brethren) calling the team, front management, players, etc. out on this pathetic excuse of a franchise, I (we) instead excuse it as "rebuilding" and hope that we'll emerge as a powerhouse the following year.

Why is it that teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, and Giants cant go 5 years without success, while teams like the Niners can go an entire decade going unnoticed ? I'll tell you why. It's the fans. If the fans cant hold their team accountable; if the fans cant call out front management for their mistakes; if the fans cant show their dislike for losing ways; then the organization will always think they are making the right moves.

Like I said, I read some of the posts on this board and I half laugh/half cry. 7 years since the Mooch era ended and we're still "rebuilding". And we're ok with that as a fanbase. What a sad state of affairs for a once storied franchise.
but...but....Alex Smith is only 25 years old!!!!!!!!!!
What about the Browns, no wait. Redskins? ummm Raiders fans are passive right?
no unsuccessful franchises make passive fans. Give me something to cheer about damn it!
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by backontop:
no unsuccessful franchises make passive fans. Give me something to cheer about damn it!

If that the case, then why do the Cowboys and Giants always seem to rebound in a few years time ? Dont you think the fanbase putting pressure on team mgmt to put out a winning roster has anything to do with it ?
Poor drafting and Bad FA pickups make a Franchise Unsuccessful, not Fans.
Fans have absolutely no effect whatsoever. Good franchises don't make football decisions based on the opinions of armchair GM fans that think they know something about football. The ones that do are a complete joke.
Fans don't play in. It's up to the players and coaches.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Fans have absolutely no effect whatsoever. Good franchises don't make football decisions based on the opinions of armchair GM fans that think they know something about football. The ones that do are a complete joke.

Agreed.

I'm not quite so sure what affect fans have in the success or lack of success of a football team.

You don't like what you're seeing? Don't go to games and don't watch them on TV. I'll watch the 49ers, win or lose.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Nov 10, 2009 at 19:17:47 ]
Hell no, don't blame all their f*ck ups on us.

Good franchises have smart owners that hire smart people to their front office to run the football operations. Steelers are the perfect example. Team presidents, GMs, and coaches have come on and gone and they have kept winning. Only thing that has been common is the Rooney ownership. Sadly the 49ers have become the opposite example.
Great post Z! Fans seemed pretty excited for the 17 year run we had back in the day. We expected to win every game and rarely lost back to back games. The end game was win the superbowl or it was a failure. Now some fans are happy to hang with the big boys for 3 quarters and get pissed if anyone dares to critique managment. IMO, most players would rather play for eastern teams because of the passion that fans have which in turn forces management to field winners this year instead of talking about next year.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 10, 2009 at 19:25:30 ]
Dallas = no playoff wins in over 12 years.

That is not success.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Great post Z! Fans seemed pretty excited for the 17 year run we had back in the day. We expected to win every game and rarely lost back to back games. The end game was win the superbowl or it was a failure. Now some fans are happy to hang with the big boys for 3 quarters and get pissed if anyone dares to critique managment. IMO, most players would rather play for eastern teams because of the passion that fans have which in turn forces management to field winners this year instead of talking about next year.

You guys are confusing cause and effect.

Winning teams bring fans.

Fans don't bring winning teams.

-9fA
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

You guys are confusing cause and effect.

Winning teams bring fans.

Fans don't bring winning teams.

-9fA

Im not so sure about that. The fans themselves dont field a winning team, but they do have influence on how the team runs its day to day operations. I think Dallas is a great example of this. The fans push for a better team; they show their discontent when the Boys are struggling. I think this DOES play a role in front management's aggression (or lack thereof) of putting together a more solid unit.

Niner fans have been content with the garbage we put on the field for years. Look at all of us. How many years does a franchise need to rebuild ? It's year 7 post Mooch, and more than a decade has elapsed since the dynasty ended. Yet, we sit around talking a good game and woulda, coulda, shouldas.....whereas we should be "rioting" (per se) for how low this franchise has sunk.

I just find it disappointing that even at this point, a lot of you guys are satisfied with the team and its production.
Share 49ersWebzone