LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

Jeff Fisher's comments about Willis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Fisher is quoted as saying he was impressed with Patrick Willis, but at the same time he trashed the rest of our D.

"I think he knew once 52 (Willis) was nowhere in the vicinity that no one was going to catch him," Fisher said. "Willis on the field yesterday was the only one that could catch him. I have to compliment him and his play because I have not seen an effort out of a linebacker like I've seen out of the effort out of him.

"C.J. would have had three more touchdowns yesterday had he not been on the field. It was an outstanding defensive effort by Patrick Willis."

"C.J." was lucky to get what he got against us, who were the NFL's top ranked run D. he broke a couple big runs, but we contained Johnson for most the game. you dont often see a coach stroking off his own player so much at the expense of the other team. like he's some random titans fan or something.

maybe its damage control from his peyton manning jersey thing. either way he looked like an ass.
Chris Johnson killed us. He owned us. I don't see any moral victories there. From a Titans Offensive stadpoint at least he is why they won.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Fisher is quoted as saying he was impressed with Patrick Willis, but at the same time he trashed the rest of our D.

"I think he knew once 52 (Willis) was nowhere in the vicinity that no one was going to catch him," Fisher said. "Willis on the field yesterday was the only one that could catch him. I have to compliment him and his play because I have not seen an effort out of a linebacker like I've seen out of the effort out of him.

"C.J. would have had three more touchdowns yesterday had he not been on the field. It was an outstanding defensive effort by Patrick Willis."

"C.J." was lucky to get what he got against us, who were the NFL's top ranked run D. he broke a couple big runs, but we contained Johnson for most the game. you dont often see a coach stroking off his own player so much at the expense of the other team. like he's some random titans fan or something.

maybe its damage control from his peyton manning jersey thing. either way he looked like an ass.

more like damage control for the taunting. you guys just like pulling up quotes and posting them without seeing what they are being responded to.

With that said I don't know what he was responding to either. If I was a betting man I'd say he was responding to the CJ taunting of Patrick Willis.
Originally posted by krizay:

more like damage control for the taunting. you guys just like pulling up quotes and posting them without seeing what they are being responded to.

With that said I don't know what he was responding to either. If I was a betting man I'd say he was responding to the CJ taunting of Patrick Willis.

whats it matter why he said it?

the fact is, he said Patrick Willis is the only player on the field who could catch Johnson, and if Willis didnt play, Johnson would have scored 5 TD's.

if a team comes into the game with the NFL's highest ranked rush D, like we did, maybe you shouldnt be talking crap about everyone else besides our best player. Johnson is very good, and it was the first time we'd allowed a 100+ yard rushing in a long time.

claiming CJ wouldve had 5 TDs' against the NFL's top rush D is a foolish and arrogant statement. especially considering his 2nd TD was a bit of a garbage time score on the goalline.
you take willis off the field and that allready injued defense will have major problems.
  • mod
  • Veteran
I noticed while watching the game, that if Willis had not played, we would have been made even bigger fools. It was so disappointing, it looked like Willis was picking up everybody's slack.
Vince Young is lucky to still be alive and healthy after facing Willin
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Chris Johnson killed us. He owned us. I don't see any moral victories there. From a Titans Offensive stadpoint at least he is why they won.

I don't think he was trashing our defense when he said this.Belive it or not this was the first time Fisher had seen Willis play and he was complementing the play of Willis, when he said the above quote. The quote he says about the 3 more touchdowns was more to show the effort Willis was putting forward than trashing our D.
You hear about Chris Johnson, but until you see him playing your team yyou don't realize how fast he is. There are very few players in the NFL that could catch Chris Johnson, maybe none.. The guy is just freeaky fast.

I would not infer to much from Fisher's comment other than that he was impressed by Willis.

The guy gives Willis props and somebody still fins a problem with it. amazing and what does this have to do with the Manning jersey situation?
Whats wrong with what he said???

Willis in basically the only player we have on D. And he is right if it wasn't for Willis CJ would have scored at least two more times

Whats the issue
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Whats wrong with what he said???

Willis in basically the only player we have on D. And he is right if it wasn't for Willis CJ would have scored at least two more times

Whats the issue

Agreed. Willis is our only playmaker on D. Justin Smith is a beast, but most of his work goes unappreciated.
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Nate Clements injury was a big lost to our run defense
Share 49ersWebzone