LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Alex REALLY a bust?? Read Ponder Vote...

As i said in another post. A lot of us zoners treat smith like he's the second coming. Although im a smith fan, i think right now he's showing more of a difference than the alex of past. All weekend, im watching QB's make the same throws that alex makes, and from quality qb's such as Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Big Ben, Mcnabb, and the list goes on and one. They all this week threw for at least 1-2 int's, and they were all off of deflections. Now it's funny, they do it, and dont even mention it again, just waiting for the opportunity to get back in. It happens to us, and we want Smith's head on a platter.
Im seeing QB;s throw over, behind, under, all other other off target throws, but i also see the Wr's dive for the ball, jump high as hell off a throw over the head, bending and turning their body to make a catch behind them, or a one handed catch to try and get a bad thrown ball. It seems like with our WR's we make excuses when they dont catch the ball. i mean they are WR's and they get paid for their hands and the plays they can make.
I'm just saying Alex sustains a drive, then on 3rd or sumthin a pass is missed, thats not on alex. If the other teams offense had as many opportunities to keep the titans off the board, do we capitalize, or do we hang ourselves. No need to even answer that because we had two TD's that wouldnt of been had we made the proper tackles. Thats not on the Offense.
I'm not making any excuses for the kid because a T.O is a T.O, however, if all the passes in order for a WR to make a catch have to be spot on all the time, and never unaccurate, then we should pull out, smith, hill, and davis, and just run the damn wildcat all game, cuz thats not gonna happen.
As i will continue to say over and over, even tho many dont like it. We gave hill, a year and a half behind center, and in that span, he hasnt turned the ball over too much for an int, but a sack is just as bad, and smith has produced more TD's in his 2.5 games than Hill for the entire first half of the season. I'm just saying, why so quick to condemn a man that hadnt played in 2 years and even coaches from around the league, say that you have to prepare for a new offense in the offseason, not midway. The niners are turning 360 with a new qb, and because he doenst come in and go 3-0 we want to bench him. If he put no points on the board, then pull his ass, but he does what Hill said his job was to do, regardless of turnovers, put TD's on the board, and in that regard, he's kept up his end. Now if the defense can make a stop when they should, and we dont kill ourselves with tipped passes, or missed tackles.
Tampa won a championship without Steve Young and Steve Young only quarterbacked in one superbowl. My question is, is not 5 years long enough?
Smith is still doing the same things he did years ago. The Cardinals proved that you don't have to have a perfect team to get to the superbowl but you have to have a quarterback that can play under pressure and an offensive line that protects him and a defense that can make some stops. We have lost three straight games by 14 total points.
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by Archie:
How long, how long, how long do we wait for Smith? Smith is better but he's still mediocre at best and I mean the best case is that Smith is mediocre.

Originally posted by Joecool:
So far, Alex Smith is a 5th year QB who has lost way more than won.

Shaun Hill, when he came to this team was a 5 year backup and has won more than lost.

However, we can't go back. We need to make sure Alex is a backup at best or if he's a starter. Must keep him starting until halfway through next season. If he's sucking up to that point, then we need to try plan C.

Ask Tampa how much longer should they have waited on Steve Young????????
Tampa won a championship without Steve Young and Steve Young only quarterbacked in one superbowl. My question is, is not 5 years long enough?
Smith is still doing the same things he did years ago. The Cardinals proved that you don't have to have a perfect team to get to the superbowl but you have to have a quarterback that can play under pressure and an offensive line that protects him and a defense that can make some stops. We have lost three straight games by 14 total points.
How long, how long, how long do we wait for Smith? Smith is better but he's still mediocre at best and I mean the best case is that Smith is mediocre.

Originally posted by Joecool:
So far, Alex Smith is a 5th year QB who has lost way more than won.

Shaun Hill, when he came to this team was a 5 year backup and has won more than lost.

However, we can't go back. We need to make sure Alex is a backup at best or if he's a starter. Must keep him starting until halfway through next season. If he's sucking up to that point, then we need to try plan C.

Ask Tampa how much longer should they have waited on Steve Young????????

[ Edited by xx49erfanxx on Nov 10, 2009 at 06:45:52 ]
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Ceaddar -- please get off the stats wagon.

The only stats that matter are wins and losses.

Alex Smith SUCKS.

3 ints and 1 lost fumble! He's a great QB! Especially cause that was against a 2something ranked passing defense! Can we all come back to Earth and get Shaun Hill back in there PLEASE!?!?!?!??!

None of us like int's but do you really want a QB who cannot get first downs,throw for 2td's or less a game and has a lower QB rating?

"PLEASE!?!?!?!??!"

I want a QB that WINS! Period!
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Alex Smith SUCKS.

3 ints and 1 lost fumble! He's a great QB! Especially cause that was against a 2something ranked passing defense! Can we all come back to Earth and get Shaun Hill back in there PLEASE!?!?!?!??!

I love it. People BEG to get back to mediocrity when there are turnovers.

We lost by SEVEN freakin points not 70.

Wow.That just proves how unrealistic 9er fans have become over the years.

Oh yeah, had Shaun been the QB? We would have lost by 21 points not 7. Just to clarify the difference in QBs'. Alex was doing pretty well distributing the ball. Shaun holds it forever and only knows 2 targets. One of which was dropping the ball all freakin day.

~Ceadder

I dont give a s**t how many points we lost by! There are no moral victories in the NFL! You either win or lose, nothing else! Everyone started eating off of Alex's nutz after 6 quarters and he has since reverted to being the A. Smith that we've always known!

As far as "Alex was doing pretty well distributing the ball": Yeah, he's doing a hell of a job distributing; Not so great when the distribution list includes the opposing f**king team!

As far as the "Shaun holds it forever and only knows 2 targets. One of which was dropping the ball all freakin day." He didn't have Crabtree and still won games! And V. Davis, a.k.a "brick hands", is holding on to them now?

How is that for "realistic"?? ... Oh, and I've been a 49er fan for 20 years now!

Alex Smith SUCKS.

Oh yeah, had Shaun been the QB? We would have lost by 21 points not 7. Just to clarify the difference in QBs'. Alex was doing pretty well distributing the ball. Shaun holds it forever and only knows 2 targets. One of which was dropping the ball all freakin day.

~Ceadder

I dont give a s**t how many points we lost by! There are no moral victories in the NFL! You either win or lose, nothing else! Everyone started eating off of Alex's nutz after 6 quarters and he has since reverted to being the A. Smith that we've always known!

As far as "Alex was doing pretty well distributing the ball": Yeah, he's doing a hell of a job distributing; Not so great when the distribution list includes the opposing f**king team!

As far as the "Shaun holds it forever and only knows 2 targets. One of which was dropping the ball all freakin day." He didn't have Crabtree and still won games! And V. Davis, a.k.a "brick hands", is holding on to them now?

How is that for "realistic"?? ... Oh, and I've been a 49er fan for 20 years now!

His point was with Hill we lose by a lot more.

And yeah Hill definatly holds the ball to long and doesnt know how to score points. This is why he was canned

Alex Smith SUCKS.

~Ceadder

I was a Hill supporter too, but he is not the best fit for this team, Alex is better for this right now, as much as that hurts to say.

Though, I'm getting on the Nate Davis bandwagon as soon as next years TC starts.
Originally posted by 49Wild:
Man...There are always stats out there that make a guy look good or look bad. What you have to ask youself is..Is Alex the right QB for this team now, or next season. Does he have the hearts of the coaches and the wideouts. Can he ever win a game for us this season or next when we need him to...And the answer is a big NO!!!!

He is a Coach and drive killer, and is one pass away from getting someones
season ended. There is no way to cut it. He sucks for us. And who cares if he
leaves and becomes a good QB for some other team. He is just not our Guy no matter how you look at the numbers.

Never was.... never will be! Shows how much 6 quarters of good play meant! The guy has no f**king spirit and completely breaks down under pressure! Always has, always will! You don't teach a guy that!

I invite everyone to go see the "Joe Show" on 49ers.com and see what a douchebag Alex is compared to Shaun. And that's them just bulls**tting with the camera.

The Joe Show: High School Prom

The Joe Show: Bye Week

These are just a couple of examples... Its like that in pretty much all videos I've seen.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Alex Smith SUCKS.

~Ceadder

His point was with Hill we lose by a lot more.

And yeah Hill definatly holds the ball to long and doesnt know how to score points. This is why he was canned

And my point was that Hill wins and doesnt turn the ball over!
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Alex Smith SUCKS.

~Ceadder

I was a Hill supporter too, but he is not the best fit for this team, Alex is better for this right now, as much as that hurts to say.

Though, I'm getting on the Nate Davis bandwagon as soon as next years TC starts.

Of course Hill is not the best fit for this team... but Alex isn't either. I agree that he looked good against the Texans and Colts, but he falters under the pressure and cant sustain when it matters the most!

As to Nate; you've probably read my rants on that too huh??

I honestly could care less about either QB right now.

But it's funny how people are blaming Hill for our losses when we didn't move the ball, but when Smith loses (and does it with TO fashion) it's mostly the OL's fault or Defense

Keep believe in that mirage.

Hey Morgan, Alex's balls coming out like a punt as well? Is that the reason you can't catch them either?

Bruce didn't have a problem catching Shauns deep punt, Morgan is just a clown, he hasn't done s**t in his NFL career yet.

But it's funny how people are blaming Hill for our losses when we didn't move the ball, but when Smith loses (and does it with TO fashion) it's mostly the OL's fault or Defense

Hey Morgan, Alex's balls coming out like a punt as well? Is that the reason you can't catch them either?

Bruce didn't have a problem catching Shauns deep punt, Morgan is just a clown, he hasn't done s**t in his NFL career yet.
The pass to Morgan was a laser...........Watch the game then post....

Guys like this are just angry. You’re not going to be able to reason with him. He and everyone else will be jumping back on the wagon if Smith gets things going the rest of the season. Fans will always be FICKLE.

To Judge a QB’s recent development based upon 1 game is rather foolish. People can become very foolish when they are losing and angry. Right now fools run amok in NT.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Alex's numbers look a lot like Drew Brees' numbers through 3 seasons. I don't think he's a bust (yet) either. He's gotta get at least the rest of this year to get it together and show who is is / can be. Although if the next 8 games are really REALLY bad for him that's it.

P.S. I don't think he played that bad on Sunday. 2 of the 3 picks could just as easily been incomplete and were great plays by the DB's or they may have even gone for completions. The 2nd pick was pretty bad but every NFL QB does that at least a few times in a season.

That last pick was an uncalled PI that Sing should have been hopping mad about. I could not believe that he let that go. Even Gannon was puzzled by it right up to when they kicked the extra point.

So honestly even one of those picks was avoidable given the circumstances around them.

At least Alex did not quit on the team. And that's something he started to do when he was playing injured.

~Ceadder

Yeah, I thought the DB got there early too. Even in regular speed I thought so. Too bad that's something that's not challengable.

Actually it IS challengeable if he wishes to challenge it I believe. That's why Gannon was at a loss for words regarding the subject. At the very least Sing could have challenged the ruling on the field. Then they have to go back and look at it from when the ball left Alex's hand all the way through to the Interception. Slow mo WOULD have reversed that call IMHO.

Look at the fumble call. It was ruled forward progress at live speed. Fischer red flagged it and they went back and reversed the call. I think that they would have if Sing had challenged the play. But he didn't we lose on a BS Defensive score.

Would we have won had the play been reversed? That's another topic of discussion.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:

Guys like this are just angry. You’re not going to be able to reason with him. He and everyone else will be jumping back on the wagon if Smith gets things going the rest of the season. Fans will always be FICKLE.

To Judge a QB’s recent development based upon 1 game is rather foolish. People can become very foolish when they are losing and angry. Right now fools run amok in NT.

Ummmm guys? Re-read Gore's post with your sarcasm glasses on.

The rest of the stuff well I can't stick up for because well if he's still rootin for Shaun he must have scored some REALLY good toke.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 10, 2009 at 20:30:48 ]
Share 49ersWebzone