There are 280 users in the forums

Alex "The Mirage" Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Whatever Alex is, he's the best we've got right now.. as far as giving us a chance to get the ball down the field and score.

With Hill, teams stop the short game and suffocate us. The Hill reign unfortunately is over, and it's either got to be Smith -- we have to hope this game was a fluke bad game -- or if he can't rebound, we need to hope we can find someone else, or that Nate Davis can develop into our future QB.

That's about it.
I'm fine with letting Alex play out the season, since a majority of the board thinks the season is over anyways. Let's stick a stake in this f**king vampire-zombie once and for all.

It would be a great disservice to play Nate Davis atm anyways.
Originally posted by skaw:
What's the point of this thread? To justify all of your BS emotional rants the last couple years about Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill?

Two weeks ago, most of you were up in arms about Shaun Hill and ready to praise Alex as the "phoenix," the saviour of the 49ers. Now you are up in arms about Alex and are upset because you cannot blame the OC anymore b/c it is a tired excuse.

DEAL WITH IT. He is our QB, the QB coach, receivers coach and OC should be on the same page and be very clear in communication with Alex about what he is best capable of doing.

For all the Nolan bashing, I believe his frustration stemmed from the fact that Alex Smith was nor will ever play with any swagger, with any leadership qualities, nor will he call out his OC or Coach if he has to because he is a "Yes Man." Alex Smith's press conference after the Titans loss should tell you all you need to know about him. At best, he is a mediocre QB.

BUT I am fine with it for now because we do not have any other choice. So it's the job of all the aforementioned ppl to make sure that they play to all of Alex's strengths and try to minimize his weaknesses. THEY should know how to do it, and if they do not, then lil Jed needs to step in the picture and point it out.

Chicago and Green Bay will be very telling games. Alex may be a mirage, but he is our QB, and he sure as hell better be 2-0 in those 2 games.

Forget it...your analysis is right, except one thing...Alex will always play just well enough to lose...we will be fortunate to win 2 or 3 more games with him...no swagger because he is a born loser...
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Whatever Alex is, he's the best we've got right now.. as far as giving us a chance to get the ball down the field and score.

With Hill, teams stop the short game and suffocate us. The Hill reign unfortunately is over, and it's either got to be Smith -- we have to hope this game was a fluke bad game -- or if he can't rebound, we need to hope we can find someone else, or that Nate Davis can develop into our future QB.

That's about it.

Hill is not the future. He may have to battle to hold onto a #2 spot next year. I just can't ever see him ever being a #1 guy again (for anybody). Great guy, gritty player but doesn't have a NFL arm.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by pigskin:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Good analysis? On the fumble was a freak accident? No it wasn't. This type of fumble, when a defender hits the QB as he winds up to pass, is VERY common.

The OL is bad, but they actually blocked OK for the game. Smith had time on most plays, but he choked. He had time to go through progressions but didn't as the game progressed.

Tennessee actually looked bad to me - far from being a playoff team. Their D is bad. Their O has ONE weapon. They will end up with a losing season - guaranteed.

This is a game we should have won if Hill played, but Smith gave it away. Hill has never ever given a game away.

You don't know that.

And, Hill showed us this season that he needed the defense to play lights out to win. And he did give away a game. Remember the Texans? Hill started that, sucked rotten donkey dicks and got pulled. It was Smith that got us into that game.

Like i've said, i love it when people write statements that they can't prove.

-9fA

Having a brain freeze or in need of a reading lesson? Where did I say Hill would win for sure?

And when did Hill suck rotten donkey d*ck the way Smith sucked yesterday? Smith didn't really got us anything, except 2 losses and a bunch of turnovers.

Stupid post of the day.

Try the Rams game.

Try the Falcons game.

Try the Texans game.

Next.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Next.

Can't remember the 3 picks and fumble lost, and half the passes being throw late in of those games.

Either way. Both QB's are not the future, but I'd rather have Hill as my backup (not starter) any day over Smith.

If you are going to put blame for the INT's at least put it in the right place. 2 of the 3 were all on the WR. The WR failed to catch the ball sending it 10 feet in the air off of a tip. As a matter of fact 4 out of the 5 INT's Smith has have come off of tipped passes from the WR failing to catch the ball. So again put the blame where it belongs.

Wow.. let's see AS pick last week wasn't his fault? I could rewatch it for the tenth time, but as I recall, the ball was high and barely within Crabtree's reach.

INT to Crabtree against Titans not his fault? Crabtree was waitng for the ball to arrive, and by the time it got there, the defender was all over him.

I would blame the INT on the Morgan tipped pass on Smith as well. Stared him down, and threw high into double coverage.

You need a DVR is you seriously think that Smith is only to blame for 1 of his 5 INTS...

If a WR can touch the ball it is catchable. The blame is on the WR not on Smith. I have a DVR and I have rewatched the games and yes I STILL BELIEVE THAT THE WR'S ARE TO BLAME FOR 4 OF THE 5 INT'S.

I'm sorry if even with visual / audio evidence you still believe it was the WR's fault. On the first INT, the ball was tipped by the CB, because the throw came late, you can see the CB getting the jump on the ball. If he would've thrown it earlier, it would've been a catch or a drop pass at worst. If that's not enough, you can hear the announcers saying that the throw was late, and needed to come out quicker.

His 2nd INT all his fault, poor read.

3rd INT, HE STARTED DOWN MORGAN, and threw it to him in really tight coverage, some blame can be placed on Morgan I guess, but plenty of WR's wouldn't have made that catch, especially not no 6th rounder.

What is a WR's job in the NFL???

Why even bother with rhetorical questions... get separation, catch the ball, block...this is the reason why you come out with 2-5 WR's, just in case one guy doesn't get open...I don't understand, what is the point of this question?

Intersting I didn't see you mention tip the ball 10 feet in the air. But I didn notice you listed CATCH THE BALL!

A smarter QB wouldn't have thrown the ball there; a #1 overall draft pick wouldn't be throwing in crunch time, to a heavily covered 6th round pick.

Crabs was not open ..........

That's about it.

I have been very critical of Smith, but I agree with this. Hill is done. Lets give Smith a chance to redeem.

I can clearly see Smith improving on all facets of his game, but he reverted to his old habits in the 2nd half. Lets hope that won't happen too often in the future.

That's about it.

I have been very critical of Smith, but I agree with this. Hill is done. Lets give Smith a chance to redeem.

I can clearly see Smith improving on all facets of his game, but he reverted to his old habits in the 2nd half. Lets hope that won't happen too often in the future.

Hill is lucky to have started in this league. If Hill had any talent he'd be a career starter. The problem is that he's slow and has no arm. Period.
smith should finish out the season so we know EXACTLY where we stand at QB.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
smith should finish out the season so we know EXACTLY where we stand at QB.

i agree.
How can anyone make an honest assessment of our QB's with the crappy ass Oline that we have?

Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
How can anyone make an honest assessment of our QB's with the crappy ass Oline that we have?

Very true.
Alex's play isn't the only problem to the losing streak. He's clearly improved his overall play and yes, he still makes a a dumb mistake here and there.

But he gets the damn ball downfield to Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree. He's clearly our only option at this moment so why don't we cut down on the negativity and actually give the guy some freakin' support.

What do you guys want? Joe Montana re-incarnated? Randy Cross and Guy McIntyre back on the line? Different time, different generation.

DEAL WITH IT
Originally posted by SJniner7:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Good analysis? On the fumble was a freak accident? No it wasn't. This type of fumble, when a defender hits the QB as he winds up to pass, is VERY common.

The OL is bad, but they actually blocked OK for the game. Smith had time on most plays, but he choked. He had time to go through progressions but didn't as the game progressed.

Tennessee actually looked bad to me - far from being a playoff team. Their D is bad. Their O has ONE weapon. They will end up with a losing season - guaranteed.

This is a game we should have won if Hill played, but Smith gave it away. Hill has never ever given a game away.

You don't know that.

And, Hill showed us this season that he needed the defense to play lights out to win. And he did give away a game. Remember the Texans? Hill started that, sucked rotten donkey dicks and got pulled. It was Smith that got us into that game.

Like i've said, i love it when people write statements that they can't prove.

-9fA

Having a brain freeze or in need of a reading lesson? Where did I say Hill would win for sure?

And when did Hill suck rotten donkey d*ck the way Smith sucked yesterday? Smith didn't really got us anything, except 2 losses and a bunch of turnovers.

Stupid post of the day.

Try the Rams game.

Try the Falcons game.

Try the Texans game.

Next.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Next.

Can't remember the 3 picks and fumble lost, and half the passes being throw late in of those games.

Either way. Both QB's are not the future, but I'd rather have Hill as my backup (not starter) any day over Smith.

If you are going to put blame for the INT's at least put it in the right place. 2 of the 3 were all on the WR. The WR failed to catch the ball sending it 10 feet in the air off of a tip. As a matter of fact 4 out of the 5 INT's Smith has have come off of tipped passes from the WR failing to catch the ball. So again put the blame where it belongs.

Wow.. let's see AS pick last week wasn't his fault? I could rewatch it for the tenth time, but as I recall, the ball was high and barely within Crabtree's reach.

INT to Crabtree against Titans not his fault? Crabtree was waitng for the ball to arrive, and by the time it got there, the defender was all over him.

I would blame the INT on the Morgan tipped pass on Smith as well. Stared him down, and threw high into double coverage.

You need a DVR is you seriously think that Smith is only to blame for 1 of his 5 INTS...

If a WR can touch the ball it is catchable. The blame is on the WR not on Smith. I have a DVR and I have rewatched the games and yes I STILL BELIEVE THAT THE WR'S ARE TO BLAME FOR 4 OF THE 5 INT'S.

I'm sorry if even with visual / audio evidence you still believe it was the WR's fault. On the first INT, the ball was tipped by the CB, because the throw came late, you can see the CB getting the jump on the ball. If he would've thrown it earlier, it would've been a catch or a drop pass at worst. If that's not enough, you can hear the announcers saying that the throw was late, and needed to come out quicker.

His 2nd INT all his fault, poor read.

3rd INT, HE STARTED DOWN MORGAN, and threw it to him in really tight coverage, some blame can be placed on Morgan I guess, but plenty of WR's wouldn't have made that catch, especially not no 6th rounder.

His 2nd int was by far the worst pass he's thrown this season,the 1st and 2nd were good plays by the defenders.Morgan said himself on the 3rd it wasn't his or Alex's fault-the defender made a great play.

No QB is going to be perfect and certainly not one who has yet to prove himself and has been out for 2yrs.As long as Alex can find a way to cut down on the turnovers he's responsible for he's the 49ers best chance at this point.He has definitely improved over previous years.Besides the int's he's done what Hill hasn't-

gained more 1st downs(alot more)

thrown more td passes in a game(3)

thrown for more yards in a game(286)

Haters like many on the zone are gonna pounce on every little mistake he makes(surprise surprise)but he's got to keep playing and get better.If not then maybe Sing will get Nate Davis in there before the season ends.

GO NINERS
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:

That's about it.

Hill is lucky to have started in this league. If Hill had any talent he'd be a career starter. The problem is that he's slow and has no arm. Period.

And he knows how to win which is the exact opposite of Smith (Quick, has an arm and doesn't know how to win)

I'll take less talented winners over talented losers any day
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
When are we gonna realize that Nate "get off his nuts already" Davis isnt the answer. Im not saying Alex is which i hope he is because i really dont want to go through that QB crap again but Davis IS NOT THE ANSWER People.
Share 49ersWebzone