LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Alex "The Mirage" Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by titan:
If you thought Alex Smith was bad..imagine if Hill was the QB! Yes some plays didn't go our way lets' see how he does the whole year.

Agreed. That TD pass to Hill that Smith threw at the end of the 1st half would have been a sack for a loss by Hill. Smith opens up the defense for Gore and gets out of the pocket when the oline can't block (which is a bunch of times).
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Come on guys.. please let Alex got make mistake it but he will learning the mistake and let him serious with process time.. i remember it, Peyton Manning was first rookie when he was many mistake for Ints alot for 1 years then he got change time and he got successful it.. please be patience and watch him to play when alex can serious to learning the process time like Peyton mannin did. The 49ers don't have a qb anythings.. please keep be patients and watch it that let Alex can playing if he got mistake for ints but he got improve the threw it when he will better much and take times. I bet he will delevople it someday!

You are obviously a noob...Alex Smith is not a rookie...he has been in the league for four years...get a clue...

Where in that giant mess of a post did he mention that Alex Smith is a rookie? He's just saying that Alex lacks experience, and you're calling him the noob?

Reading Fail.

I know man! you don't understand yourself.. Alex Smith didnt rookie yet.. I mean. Alex will learning to mistake the ints when he looked better to threw the yards. he need serious the process time then he will develop someday soon.. the 49ers don't have F**k a qb this.. so I need Let Alex can play make mistake that matter! I want to be patient and wait because alex will better then develop with a qb someday soon! you can't be patient that damn! wait and see that be patient is important! come on guys!
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Come on guys.. please let Alex got make mistake it but he will learning the mistake and let him serious with process time.. i remember it, Peyton Manning was first rookie when he was many mistake for Ints alot for 1 years then he got change time and he got successful it.. please be patience and watch him to play when alex can serious to learning the process time like Peyton mannin did. The 49ers don't have a qb anythings.. please keep be patients and watch it that let Alex can playing if he got mistake for ints but he got improve the threw it when he will better much and take times. I bet he will delevople it someday!

You are obviously a noob...Alex Smith is not a rookie...he has been in the league for four years...get a clue...

Where in that giant mess of a post did he mention that Alex Smith is a rookie? He's just saying that Alex lacks experience, and you're calling him the noob?

Reading Fail.

I know man! you don't understand yourself.. Alex Smith didnt rookie yet.. I mean. Alex will learning to mistake the ints when he looked better to threw the yards. he need serious the process time then he will develop someday soon.. the 49ers don't have F**k a qb this.. so I need Let Alex can play make mistake that matter! I want to be patient and wait because alex will better then develop with a qb someday soon! you can't be patient that damn! wait and see that be patient is important! come on guys!

I am not trying to be the grammar police, but wow...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
this is not new......

I was hoping he could pull through for us this season, but yep........same old Alex. Of course, Im waiting for the.....

1) he's only twenty-{blank} years old
2) it's his 5th coordinator in 5 years
3) bad supporting cast
4) bad OC
5) defense's fault

Bad Offensive Line?

yeah, i saw that bad offensive line because snyder can't block when guy force Alex's fumble on 3qrt that why!!

[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Nov 9, 2009 at 06:45:19 ]
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Hill sucks, Alex sucks, let's send Davis out to the lions.

Give the guy a break, I still like Smith over any QB we have right now. And just to mention it two of those picks weren't his fault, they were tipped passes that the receiver should have caught. (both rookies by the way)

You think Davis or Hill couldn't have avoided that pressure and thrown the TD pass Jason Hill, I think not.
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
im sorry, you give him the rest of the season because this game wasnt that bad, he showed alot of good along with the bad. If he still isnt producing then we draft a qb. You all need to stop being bi-polar week to week.

Guilty as charged, and of course you are correct Smith is not the same anyone can see it , hell Warner threw 5 picks last week and 5 td's this week , and no I'm not comparing them just saying
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
this is not new......

I was hoping he could pull through for us this season, but yep........same old Alex. Of course, Im waiting for the.....

3) bad supporting cast
4) bad OC
5) defense's fault

Bad Offensive Line?

yeah, i saw that bad offensive line because snyder can't block when guy force Alex's fumble on 3qrt that why!!

1) He's 24 and he's been in the league 3 years now. ENOUGH, EXCUSES.
2) Give me a break, new systems don't make you throw into double coverage. (well, unless you're Mike Martz)
3) VD, Gore, Crabtree are all play-makers
4) Raye called a hell of a game. It's hard to keep drives going when your QB keeps turning the ball over. Those little TE outs to VD worked more and more as the game wore on, and talk about a gutsy call on that 4th and inches to pitch to Gore.
5) Hard for defense to stay motivated when the offense is throwing the game away. I will agree that our secondary looked weak on deep balls and that has to be something we work on this week.

Bottom line Smith could have avoided 3 of those turnovers, taken 14-21 points off the board, and we win. He got the ball back late in the game with a chance to lead us down the field and tie it but, he threw a pick. Whether or not it got deflected, he threw it right at his facemask from 8 yards away. If Morgan had caught that it would have been one of the catches of the game. Alex needs to realize you can't just throw it towards them, you need to put it where they can catch it.

Some of the turnovers were freak accidents but Smith put himself in a situation to ALLOW those turnovers to happen. On the fumble, cover the damn ball and take the sack Alex, he's got it swinging around in one hand. Two of the turnovers he telegraphed and the third could have been a much better throw.

I want to see Alex succeed, I really really do. I think we need to be reasonable with him though. All we do is go to both ends of the extreme with him. He has a good arm, good accuracy, good feet in the pocket. BUT he locks on to receivers, gets happy feet, and is careless with the ball. In this game, those were the things that hurt us. If they continue to hurt us then we have to change the situation in order to be the team we want to be.

[ Edited by jaghetersofie on Nov 9, 2009 at 07:19:20 ]
Originally posted by 9ermj:
im sorry, you give him the rest of the season because this game wasnt that bad, he showed alot of good along with the bad. If he still isnt producing then we draft a qb. You all need to stop being bi-polar week to week.

Guilty as charged, and of course you are correct Smith is not the same anyone can see it , hell Warner threw 5 picks last week and 5 td's this week , and no I'm not comparing them just saying

I do agree. Just as Hill was given the chance to rebound, which I fully supported, Alex deserves the same.

That doesn't excuse his poor throws last game. He made a lot of good throws, but despite completing a high percentage of his passes, the ones easiest to remember were the bad ones.

The fumble was a freak play, very.. very.. obviously just a complete fluke of a play. Luck. Bad luck. People should get over that one. It happens. Two of the three INT's I'll directly contribute to bad plays by Smith. He was late on one throw, and he stared down his read on the second. The last interception was right on Morgan's numbers. The defender ran up and had Morgan virtually in a headlock.. surprising (actually, not) that there was no flag.

What was the difference between yesterday and the previous two weeks?

This: Smith did not have time to go through his progressions, and as a result he often stared down his first read to compensate, hoping they'd get open before the pocket collapsed, which it rapidly did on virtually every single passing play.

This is what happens when you have no OL. This is what happens when teams generate a pass-rush. QB's can't get through their progressions and make plays, and are stuck on their first reads, leading to INT's or short dump offs that make little yardage.

This is why we "freaking suck" right now.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 9, 2009 at 07:15:21 ]
  • 9ermj
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jaghetersofie:
this is not new......

3) bad supporting cast
4) bad OC
5) defense's fault

Bad Offensive Line?

2) Give me a break, new systems don't make you throw into double coverage. (well, unless you're Mike Martz)
4) Raye called a hell of a game. It's hard to keep drives going when your QB keeps turning the ball over. Those little TE outs to VD worked more and more as the game wore on, and talk about a gutsy call on that 4th and inches to pitch to Gore.
5) Hard for defense to stay motivated when the offense is throwing the game away. I will agree that our secondary looked weak on deep balls and that has to be something we work on this week.

Bottom line Smith could have avoided 3 of those turnovers, taken 14-21 points off the board, and we win. He got the ball back late in the game with a chance to lead us down the field and tie it but, he threw a pick. Whether or not it got deflected, he threw it right at his facemask from 8 yards away. If Morgan had caught that it would have been one of the catches of the game. Alex needs to realize you can't just throw it towards them, you need to put it where they can catch it.

Some of the turnovers were freak accidents but Smith put himself in a situation to ALLOW those turnovers to happen. On the fumble, cover the damn ball and take the sack Alex, he's got it swinging around in one hand. Two of the turnovers he telegraphed and the third could have been a much better throw.

I want to see Alex succeed, I really really do. I think we need to be reasonable with him though. All we do is go to both ends of the extreme with him. He has a good arm, good accuracy, good feet in the pocket. BUT he locks on to receivers, gets happy feet, and is careless with the ball. In this game, those were the things that hurt us. If they continue to hurt us then we have to change the situation in order to be the team we want to be.

Smith had his troubles for sure , but you can't be serious that the pass to Morgan would have been catch of the game , if he had no arms maybe
  • jaghetersofie
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jaghetersofie:
this is not new......

3) bad supporting cast
4) bad OC
5) defense's fault

Bad Offensive Line?

Smith had his troubles for sure , but you can't be serious that the pass to Morgan would have been catch of the game , if he had no arms maybe

In the sense that it would have kept the potential game-winning drive alive on a bad throw, yes I think it would have been one of the catches of the game in it's importance. He got drilled in the back just as the ball got there and it's in his facemask. Not too many WR make that catch.

Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by titan:
If you thought Alex Smith was bad..imagine if Hill was the QB! Yes some plays didn't go our way lets' see how he does the whole year.

Agreed. That TD pass to Hill that Smith threw at the end of the 1st half would have been a sack for a loss by Hill. Smith opens up the defense for Gore and gets out of the pocket when the oline can't block (which is a bunch of times).

Well if you want to the play the "what if" game, who's to say Hill would've turned the ball over 4 times? Hill would've thrown at least 1 TD against them, and Gore was running great that day (beyond me why we didn't run him more) he could've busted one out...

He was JTO out there! Some nice passes, but lot's of bad ones too. I'm done with Smith, he was just a mirage, that was a Texans D (LOOOL) in Prevent Defense (and everybody crowned him that day)

Hill nor Smith are the future, but I rather have Hill as my backup to our future #1.
So he threw 3 picks, one being his actual mistake, and the other two just bad decisions and they were tipped in the air. The second tipped should have been lower, if you're gonna miss, miss low. The first one should have never been thrown, but at the same time, who would've guessed that one would have been picked off?
Give credit to that guy who tipped it back in.....
Overall, Alex still needs a lot of work, and like Singletary said, we need to learn how to finish games, we can get the lead, but need to score more while killing the clock.
I think Singletary is a good coach as far as getting the message across and motivating our players. But I just wonder why he would leave for example, Brandon Jones out as the punt returner if he hasn't learned how to let the ball fall or call a fair catch....
There's plenty of things that Hill can do that Alex can't. Obviously arm strength isn't an issue with this offense because we never throw deep so why have someone with a strong arm? Raytard is clueless and I hope he gets his by the trainers golf cart walking across the street.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I do agree. Just as Hill was given the chance to rebound, which I fully supported, Alex deserves the same.

That doesn't excuse his poor throws last game. He made a lot of good throws, but despite completing a high percentage of his passes, the ones easiest to remember were the bad ones.

The fumble was a freak play, very.. very.. obviously just a complete fluke of a play. Luck. Bad luck. People should get over that one. It happens. Two of the three INT's I'll directly contribute to bad plays by Smith. He was late on one throw, and he stared down his read on the second. The last interception was right on Morgan's numbers. The defender ran up and had Morgan virtually in a headlock.. surprising (actually, not) that there was no flag.

What was the difference between yesterday and the previous two weeks?

This: Smith did not have time to go through his progressions, and as a result he often stared down his first read to compensate, hoping they'd get open before the pocket collapsed, which it rapidly did on virtually every single passing play.

This is what happens when you have no OL. This is what happens when teams generate a pass-rush. QB's can't get through their progressions and make plays, and are stuck on their first reads, leading to INT's or short dump offs that make little yardage.

This is why we "freaking suck" right now.

Dude...Smith was late on half of his throws, his INT's, and most of his incompletions
were because he didn't deliver the ball in time, the video shows it, the announcers were talking about it all day...seriously

He had good protection on plenty of plays, as good as Young had, no f**king excuses, he flat out did not deliver.

Now we all know how fast Chris Johnson is and for that last touchdown when he barely made it past Haraylson, that had me crushed, like for a moment I'm jumping then I see him still running and I'm pissed. I hate coming that close especially on a 4th down when we could have taken the game from there. Those plays need to be stopped from now on for us to be even close to being a playoff team.
Share 49ersWebzone