LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

We Are a Passing Team...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Making the assumption that Hill could not pass a team to victory then it would appear that Singletary decided that running we could do and passing we may do. With that belief system then a strong defense and a ball control offense will keep you near victory.

Now that the Hill experiment has died away we are back with a refurbished Alex Smith and he has shown improvement over the past. Next week we will be playing a tough opponent but we should be favored to win. Now we will get to see if Alex can bring home the bacon. Can he indeed win? Can Crabtree break loose and catch a couple of TDs. Can VD catch another TD? Can we run on the Titans and can we take advantage of the leagues poorest pass defense? If we can then we will win and start to identify ourselves as a specific kind of team.

This wont happen because Raye sets the QB's up for failure.

???

Correct me if I'm wrong but regardless of Pass/Run percentage did Raye actually send in a decent amount of Passing plays? Crabtree was what 18 for 80 yards?

If that's setting your QB up to fail gimme more.

I still don't believe that we are a Passing team, but I don't buy into what you're peddling.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Making the assumption that Hill could not pass a team to victory then it would appear that Singletary decided that running we could do and passing we may do. With that belief system then a strong defense and a ball control offense will keep you near victory.

Now that the Hill experiment has died away we are back with a refurbished Alex Smith and he has shown improvement over the past. Next week we will be playing a tough opponent but we should be favored to win. Now we will get to see if Alex can bring home the bacon. Can he indeed win? Can Crabtree break loose and catch a couple of TDs. Can VD catch another TD? Can we run on the Titans and can we take advantage of the leagues poorest pass defense? If we can then we will win and start to identify ourselves as a specific kind of team.

This wont happen because Raye sets the QB's up for failure.

???

Correct me if I'm wrong but regardless of Pass/Run percentage did Raye actually send in a decent amount of Passing plays? Crabtree was what 18 for 80 yards?

If that's setting your QB up to fail gimme more.

I still don't believe that we are a Passing team, but I don't buy into what you're peddling.

~Ceadder

There are a lot of passing plays, but many of them come out of I-form. Many of them are WR screens and many are 2-3 step drops.

We have not committed to any kind of shotgun or spread formation yet.

Our two minute drill looks fantastic. It would be nice to see more of this type of tempo / formation.

There are some formations that opponents key in to stop the run. We still have not hurt enough teams with our passing to make them bother to back up. That is why we can't run for crap.

We depend upon Gore to hit "home-runs," but that is not what a running game is supposed to be.

We need fewer WR screens, ZERO wildcat and ZERO 2nd and 20 runs. That would be a nice start. If we replace each of those above 3 things with shotgun formations, we would be much better off as an offense. We get too cute and complex with our play calling.
  • OHHWHAT
  • Info N/A
I say we let Alex call his own plays, and also let's get our team equipped with some of those Saints mouth pieces.
We aren't going to have balance until we prove to other teams that we can be dangerous passing the ball. Sing knows this and knows he has to change his philosophy on offense. He isn't stupid guys. Believe me, these guys put way more time into the team than we do. He is really going to start stretching the field now. We were starting to do it against the Colts and then Smith had that pick and they tightened the leash on him for a few series. No big deal.

This team is on it's way up.
  • B650
  • Veteran
I think any successful offense needs balance. You could say we're a running team because our HC loves running the ball, or you could say we're a passing team because we pass more than we run. The bottom line is that every game is different and there are instances when you have to run the ball, and instances where you have to pass the ball. We need to be able to do both. I think we pass the ball better than we run it right now, but that doesn't mean we should abandon the run.
We better become more of a passing team instead of this bs grind it out offense or we're gonna have yet another losing season.
Yes! We have a very good 3-4 wide package and guys are getting open for the most part. In the second half of the Colts game Smith had more than one guys open on some plays. He needs just a little more time in the pocket from the O-line.
We are neither a passing team or running team. We are a punting team. Evidently Singeltary's philosophy is punting gives you the best chance to win.
No we aren't.

If you listened to Sing today he got into Murph's @$$ because Murph didn't know how to put it.

He stated that we Pass more than we Run. True.

But when you're behind you HAVE to Pass more. Anyone that sticks to the Run when the clock is dwindling and is having to play catchup is not a good HC. Everyone knows this. It's not new.

Murph pointed out that while we Passed more it was at the end of the 1st half and then inevitably more in the 2nd since we were having to play catch up.

That does NOT mean we are a Passing team. It just means that in certain situations we HAVE to Pass more than we Run.

Think I'm wrong? Go back to the matchup against the Seaturkeys. We RAN RAN RAN RAN RAN on them so successfully we COULD throw more. 2 80 yarders from Frank won that game for us. If Frank doesn't tear those off then we stick to the Run to keep their Offense off the field as long as possible, we Lose and people are ripping the whole organization at game 2 instead of 2 weeks later.

We are NOT a Passing team. Even with Alex under Center.And honestly I do not think that we are where we need to be to be a Passing team. Yet.

We need to be a BALANCE oriented team. Some games the balance shifts to Run and some to Pass. That's how THIS team can be successful.

~Ceadder

Go back to this game. We were ahead up to the 4th quarter, and yes we passed the ball more times than we ran it. Truth is when you're looking up at 2nd and 8 and 3rd and long you're going to pass the ball more often than not. I don't think we're a passing team by design, but that is the reality of our team right now. Too many sacks on early downs, and too many 1-2 yard run plays.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
No we aren't.

If you listened to Sing today he got into Murph's @$$ because Murph didn't know how to put it.

He stated that we Pass more than we Run. True.

But when you're behind you HAVE to Pass more. Anyone that sticks to the Run when the clock is dwindling and is having to play catchup is not a good HC. Everyone knows this. It's not new.

Murph pointed out that while we Passed more it was at the end of the 1st half and then inevitably more in the 2nd since we were having to play catch up.

That does NOT mean we are a Passing team. It just means that in certain situations we HAVE to Pass more than we Run.

Think I'm wrong? Go back to the matchup against the Seaturkeys. We RAN RAN RAN RAN RAN on them so successfully we COULD throw more. 2 80 yarders from Frank won that game for us. If Frank doesn't tear those off then we stick to the Run to keep their Offense off the field as long as possible, we Lose and people are ripping the whole organization at game 2 instead of 2 weeks later.

We are NOT a Passing team. Even with Alex under Center.And honestly I do not think that we are where we need to be to be a Passing team. Yet.

We need to be a BALANCE oriented team. Some games the balance shifts to Run and some to Pass. That's how THIS team can be successful.

~Ceadder

Go back to this game. We were ahead up to the 4th quarter, and yes we passed the ball more times than we ran it. Truth is when you're looking up at 2nd and 8 and 3rd and long you're going to pass the ball more often than not. I don't think we're a passing team by design, but that is the reality of our team right now. Too many sacks on early downs, and too many 1-2 yard run plays.

So then you agree with me?

We aren't by design, but are out of necessity.

~Ceadder

Share 49ersWebzone