LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

CB Keith Smith in, Spurlock Gone

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
we couldnt let spurlock go two weeks ago and keep sheets? i dont get it

Does anybody get it? What the bleep is Scot doing?

Sheets are we STILL on about Sheets?

Rossum > Sheets based on production.

What he CAN give you is by far the best information when deciding on who stays and who doesn't.

Rossum's value to the team cannot even be questioned.

Sheets could only do two things. Rossum could do FOUR. How anyone can justify cutting Rossum to bring Sheets up is beyond me.

But let's take this a step further. Before Crabtree signed Spurlock could have been let go (when Gore went down) and Sheets IMMEDIATELY brought up from the practice squad. Give both the Rookie Backs touches to see who the better guy actually is. Then when Gore comes back you send one to the PS.

This ENTIRE mass disaster could have been COMPLETELY circumvented by that ONE move.

Now I may be too harsh on McCloughan, since he relies on the Scouts to give him solid information to work from. No man can work a 53 man roster by being the only guy to break down film, Combine stats and practice data by himself without reliable Scouts. Not even Bill Walsh.

He made a number of solid moves(too any to count) but alot of that was being in the right place at the right time. Like watching a young Receiver from a small unranked school while in a hotel room. Some things the Gods of Fate are in complete control over.

But Scott has to take the heat on this since he put his stamp on it.

Shoot I could do this job with my eyes closed if they wanted someone cheap. The first rule I live by is "DON'T SHORTCHANGE YOUR BEST UNIT" and what is undoubtedly our best unit? Or I should say what is the order first to third?

1. Defense
2. Used to be ST.
3. Offense.

Now it's

1. Defense
2. Offense by default.
3. ST

And the reason is Scott either listened to the wrong info or lost his fool mind and cut the one guy that affects 2 out of 3 units in four different ways.

INFREAKINSANE.

*Edit* Shoulda known that I would forget about Robinson. Soon as I finished and signed off I go back and someone rants about keeping him and "he does absolutely nothing". Well gotta say that Robinson falls into 4 places on the team just like Rossum did. Excellent Gunner on ST. He's used as a Blocker on Punt team. He basically runs over guys when he HAS the rock and he can fill in as an extra blocker when the Line is playing like $4|T. So yeah why don't we cut that guy too. *ediT*

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Nov 3, 2009 at 16:05:37 ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Could have saved themselves the trouble and a step had they cut Spurlock to BEGIN with instead of Rossum.

I can guarantee that Rossum is a step above Keith Smith.

If we barely finish at .500 or worse than McCloughan needs to go.

I get that the draft is a crapshoot. You don't watch over 35 years of NFL Football and not understand that.

I get that with the FA market too. Especially in the salary Cap era where people overpay to get the best guy on the list. Nevermind that guy may not be a solid fit in their systems.

It's the moves he makes DURING the season that leave many including myself .

The Rossum move was that kind of move. What the hell prompted the staff to believe that a solid PR/KR and emergency DB was expendable in favor of a scrub WR that didn't even see the field except as a component in a failed attempt to run the "Tazer"?!!!

If they can give me a CREDIBLE answer as to why I will not be so hot. BUt so far as I know they can't.

~Ceadder

Yeap. I'm a Scotty supporter, but this whole drop Rossum, letting Sheets get to the Phins, and NOW releasing Spurlock boggles the friggin' mind.

Demetric Evans and Marques Harris have contributed nothing this season, yet they remain on the 53 as well.

I see the thought process there though. Name one year over the last 5 that we didn't have a significant injury to the DL.

There's your answer. Can never have too many bodies on Defense.

~Ceadder
why is anyone complaining about our midseason PS/FA acquisitions? It's a f**king mid season PS/FA acquisition.
he'll be like our miles austin on defense
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Spurlock curse is lifted hallelujah...... hallelujah.......hallelujah!!!!

Good riddance! I still cant believe we kept him to get rid of Rossum!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Could have saved themselves the trouble and a step had they cut Spurlock to BEGIN with instead of Rossum.

I can guarantee that Rossum is a step above Keith Smith.

If we barely finish at .500 or worse than McCloughan needs to go.

I get that the draft is a crapshoot. You don't watch over 35 years of NFL Football and not understand that.

I get that with the FA market too. Especially in the salary Cap era where people overpay to get the best guy on the list. Nevermind that guy may not be a solid fit in their systems.

It's the moves he makes DURING the season that leave many including myself .

The Rossum move was that kind of move. What the hell prompted the staff to believe that a solid PR/KR and emergency DB was expendable in favor of a scrub WR that didn't even see the field except as a component in a failed attempt to run the "Tazer"?!!!

If they can give me a CREDIBLE answer as to why I will not be so hot. BUt so far as I know they can't.

~Ceadder

Yeap. I'm a Scotty supporter, but this whole drop Rossum, letting Sheets get to the Phins, and NOW releasing Spurlock boggles the friggin' mind.

Demetric Evans and Marques Harris have contributed nothing this season, yet they remain on the 53 as well.

I see the thought process there though. Name one year over the last 5 that we didn't have a significant injury to the DL.

There's your answer. Can never have too many bodies on Defense.

~Ceadder

No doubt there is logic in keeping a ton of D-linemen, but Rossum still should have never been cut. Biggest mistake Scotty has made outside the draft IMO (Nolan was responsible for the Antonio Bryant/D-Jax/Lelie/Gilmore/Jacobs mess, which is up there too).
Next is Battle gets cut to bring in a FA o-lineman...

would that leave us with enough WR's?

-Bruce
-Crabtree
-Morgan
-Hill
-Jones

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Nov 3, 2009 at 16:54:41 ]
Just what we need! A reject cornerback from the LIONS!!!
Originally posted by cNiner:
f**king idiots , we need a f**king PR/KR !

Brandon Jones.

fielding a punt on the 3 yard line
Who cares. Spurlock never played and neither will Smith.

Brandon Jones.

yeah, so he can dwon it inside the 10yard line !

Insanity. We are only one PR away from the Super Bowl. We should just fire everyone else and get a Punt Returner.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:

Brandon Jones.

fielding a punt on the 3 yard line

So the guy makes ONE mistake and we should sit him for it?? Would rather have someone new besides Battle fielding punts I'll tell you that.
Boy are we lucky to have McCloughan. Another Walsh-like move by The Great Scot
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
lol at some of the comments in this thread.

we needed depth at DB.
spurlock had to go.
Sheets was on the PS not the 53.
and Runyun will ONLY play for the Eagles.

[ Edited by boast on Nov 3, 2009 at 18:27:16 ]

Brandon Jones.

yeah, so he can dwon it inside the 10yard line !

My goodness it was only one time.

Lol it gave alex horrible position instead of starting at the 20 he started at the 6
Share 49ersWebzone